Rangefinder Options

Hey folks, I am looking for a rangefinder and am wondering what you like the best about what you are using. I recently saw a YT on the MTC Rapier. Providing hold over info based on conditions was interesting. It looked pretty cool, but it’s 4 year old technology now. Is there anything out there that competes with it.

I THINK my needs are pretty simple. Distance, Inclination/declination. Does anyone use their rangefinder for other things?

The ones for golfers I see on Amazon have a pretty low price point, but it/s also probably ‘buyer beware’.

Thanks,

RK

I wouldn't worry about 4 year technology, most of the rangefinder are very simple.

I just replace my 10+ year old Nikon with Athlon and there is not much different between them , but there is few things I like better about Athlon

1. More compact

2. Range below 10 yards (Nikon to 10 yards)

3. Range increments every 0.1 yard (Nikon every 1 yard)

4. Inclination/declination (not a big deal for me but good to have it)

B

I own a Sig Sauer Kilo 1800, this one: https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-gear-supplies/rangefinders-nightvision/sig-sauer-kilo1800bdx-6x22mm-laser-rangefinder/p/1504471. I like the display, it is LED illuminated and with its varying intensity its easy to read even in bright conditions. I had tried a Vortex, I think it was a their Model 1300, that my son in law had just purchased, and the display intensity was weak, making it very difficult to read in sunny conditions. He ended up returning it for a Sig 1600, the model just below my 1800, which has just a basic black lcd display which is easy to read in sunlight, but a little tougher in dark conditions. 

I also like the Sig’s long distance ranging capability for hunting, it is great to range hills, trees, vehicles, etc. from 1000 - 2000 yards to give you a good feel for your immediate hunting area. For airgunning, I mainly use it to verify my tape derived yardages for setting up my paper targets from 10 - 55 yards for field target practice. It does increment down to 0.1 yard out to 100 yards, but also know the accuracy of these units are typically + or - 0.5 yards.

This unit can be pared with Sigs rifle scopes and a smartphone ballistic app, but I don’t use that feature.

Other uses of rangefinders? With their angle readings you could calculate road grades or with a little trigonometry you could also calculate the height of tall buildings and trees!

Simmons ProTarget...NO ILLUMINATION...NO COSINE...No bells, no whistles...paid 65$ at Wal-Mart. Use it everyday, no fail.

IMG_9129.1612301663.JPG