• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Range finders

Hi Ninja,

Here's a range finder discussion thread on the AGN forum that will get you started, but may not fully answer your questions: http://airgunnation.dev/topic/range-finders-what-are-you-using/

If you want to see if a topic has been previously discussed on the forum you can enter a search word in the search field on the home page. That's what I do.

Cheers, Bob

Ninja man, a hand held range finder is as appropriate here, as it is with archery hunting. Bushnell has low to medium priced options and is very reliable and rugged. I've used most of them from high end Liecha, Swarovski, Leupold to low end $59 Bushnell. There is no need to spend too much and the Bushnell gets my thumbs up, for the lower priced fare. My wife inherited my first two over 15 years ago and they still work fine. Believe me, if you want a durability test of any hunting equipment, put it in her hands for a day or two. ;-)

Congratulations on your squirrel kills. Awesome job, combining stealth with your equipment and shooting ability. I like your style! Do yourself a favor, "bite the bullet", pardon the pun, and put a few bucks into a range finder and extend your effective range. I think as many shots fail because of poor range estimation as an unsteady hold.

Get a ballistics calculator like ChairGun and check out the trajectory of a pellet. Whatever you're shooting, your pellets are going to be dropping fast at typical hunting ranges. Some hunters might be able to eyeball ranges accurately enough to take a long shot at small game, but I'm not. Your scope reticle can also be used to estimate ranges, but it takes practice and requires knowing the size of the target. So for me, a laser rangefinder is crucial.

I got the cheapest one I could find on Amazon (correction: a Simmons, not a Bushnell) and it seems to work fine. I don't know how accurate it really is, but the important thing is that it's consistent. I can stand on my porch and range different things in my yard, and get the same readings to within 1-2 yards every time.

The only annoying thing about range finders is they can struggle at picking up things like dove on a wire or small branch and they also can give false readings when ranging rabbits and ground squirrels that are really close to the ground. I like to use mine to hone my range estimation skills and for target shooting with chair gun pro. If you hunt the same area lots it is nice to find your usual shooting positions and range where the game normally is and try to memorize those numbers. This allows for really quick and accurate shooting. Range finders are nice tools but i find they can slow you down. However for really long range shooting they are essential.