• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Range finder

Its like many things, you can spend as much as you want. I have an older Nikon. It has a basically flat back where the eye piece is. I have looked at another one in the store, don't remember the brand, but the eye piece was extended back from the overall body, and that made it MUCH easier to acquire your target. So my recommendation decide the features you want and lay your hands and eyes on some at a local store.

Reactions: Bob562
I purchased a Halo 450 XL. Inexpensive and has served me well for years. With range finders like scopes. There is quite the range of prices. I want something to simply range at the distances I shoot my airguns.
They suck on anything black and low light, is my experience. Stick with nikon, vortex or sig second tier just not bottom end. If it measures down to .1 yards they are usually pretty accurate.

Reactions: Bob562
ive been extremely happy with a bushnell prime 1300 i picked up on clearance at sportsmans warehouse,
huge field of view,very very bright,
has angle compensation,
you can even change the reticle

(i always have it set on a single small dot,
and unlike other rangefinders ive had that i had to figure out where in the reticle it actually takes the range from,
it ranges dead on the center of the dot,
huge help on ranging small pests.

best part is,
it was on clearance for $100 ......bonus

They suck on anything black and low light, is my experience. Stick with nikon, vortex or sig second tier just not bottom end. If it measures down to .1 yards they are usually pretty accurate.
I guess yours did, mine has been fine in many different environments… notice that nowhere in my post did I suggest the OP buy one. But mine “has” served me well.

Reactions: Scotay42
Any recommendations on good range finder
Anyone having issue with current range finder
Looking to purchase first one
Thanks
Fwiw i wanted illumimated, angle comp, rock solid warranty and CLOSE ability. Best price with those things.

Only one that ended up ticking all boxes wqs Athlon Midas 1 mile. Got it from opticsplanet and very satisfied with it. Optics aren't Leica, but it also wasn't close to a grand, so.

I have the Nikon Laser 30. A few things to consider when shopping:

Rangefinders have different accuracy levels. Some are +/- 1/2 yd while others are +/- 1 yd or possibly more. The display digits does not represent how accurate the unit is. Read the manual if it isn't in the advertised specs.

Pay attention to the minimum distance you can rangefind to. The units vary. If just for airgun use the max limit will not be a consideration.

I have the Nikon Laser 30. A few things to consider when shopping:

Rangefinders have different accuracy levels. Some are +/- 1/2 yd while others are +/- 1 yd or possibly more. The display digits does not represent how accurate the unit is. Read the manual if it isn't in the advertised specs.

Pay attention to the minimum distance you can rangefind to. The units vary. If just for airgun use the max limit will not be a consideration.
This is one of the reasons i went with the Athlon Midas --- goes down to 6y.

Some years ago I purchased a Swarovski Laser Guide 8X30 Rangefinder. This was my 3rd rangefinder over the years​

I am well satisfied with it but this model is now discontinued however i see one advertised on ebay.​

Suggestion -visit large gun and/or camera stores that carry rangefinders and test as many any as you can.​

If you plan to keep/use it for some time buy a good one​

Research on line then enjoy your purchase.​