• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Range/Distance Measurement-What do you use

Hi Guys

apart from getting a measuring tape how do you measure out your 50/100/150 yard distances to say your trap/targets when just range shooting?

A range scope or what? 
if so could youse mention a few that are reliable but won’t cost a fortune? 

Thanks guys, want to use the down time to head out to a shooting field and set some targets out at certain increments 

I use a 300" tape to measure the yardages and then mark them on my wheel. I have a range finder, but find it's not accurate enough. I've found it be 2-3 yards off when compared with the tape and that's just not cutting it for the kind of precision one needs for setting up one's scope. 2 yards off at 50+ yards could very well be the difference between a hit and a miss. I imagine the more expensive range finders would be more accurate. I'm fine with using the tape though. Good exercise walking back and forth!

Chas

A buddy of mine had a cheaper Halo range finder and when we were out shooting it was ranging pretty much the same as my Leopold 1,000 TBR 

One way to think of it is let's say you buy a inexpensive RF and it's off by say 2 yards, as long as you range and shoot the target knowing where it's going to hit at what your RF says that's all that matters, but if you were using a app like Strelok Pro or ChairGun for your info that would throw you off a bit. 

FYI - HALO wouldn't repair or replace mine within their warranty period I sent it to them within one month after buying it. It was always temperamental since it was new. It wouldn't track and had to remove the battery then wait a minute then reinsert battery then it would range some of the time. It wouldn't reset just by powering it off. They just tested it and confirmed that it was defective and deemed not user abuse nor error and replaced the battery but I sent it with a brand new battery. They said since it had been superseded by a new model they couldn't do anything for me nor upgrade to a new one even after I offered to pay extra for something that works. That's why I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $70.00 Simmons rangefinder that still works fine. I would have ordered a Bushnell instead if I had known HALO wouldn't service what they sell. Another bad and similar situation when warranting a modem within warranty period purchased from Wal-Mart different company they wanted me to pay $30.00 for tech support for a DOA brand new modem. YO!

I use a 300' fiber tape measure for my yard range and calibration and use a Nikon Black 4000 for everything else. Have checked it many times against the tape. 

I've ranged the cliff near my house at 2745 yards multiple times so it seems very repeatable. I picked it up to use for everything. Cost about $400 shipped. I've compared it against my friend's $1700 one several times and it seems possibly a bit better, but his is much older and technology just keeps marching..... I typically buy stuff with versatility in mind, so that's MY justification.

A golf or archery rangefinder is likely just fine for airgun only use.

Bob

For Field Target, get a 165 ft tape from Harbor Freight. Mark 55 yds, 52.5, 50, 47.5, 45,42.5,40, 39 etc down to 10 yards. Start off by attaching a box or what i call a sled (made out of 3/4 pvc pipe that holds a target) to the end of the tape measure, and drag it from far to near. Its vital tyo have the right clicks for the distances with FT. If youre going to use your gun for hunting etc, then a range finder like everyone else has suggested will suffice. BC