• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Range Cards vs Ballistic Calculators

Keep up the good work, Matt! This stuff is very helpful, and I'm going to copy your range card setup.
All the way to the right in the table, there was a picture of the reticle with ranges based on your zero. Is this something you made or can I drag it out of Chairgun somewhere?
No clue as to what your deepest, darkest secrets are. Not sure if I want to know! :)
edit: typos due to the touch keyboard on tablet...

"BitFrost"Keep up the good work, Matt! This stuff is very helpful, and I'm going to copy your range card setup.
All the way to the right in the table, there was a picture of the reticle with ranges based on your zero. Is this something you made or can I drag it out of Chairgun somewhere?
No clue as to what your deepest, darkest secrets are. Not sure if I want to know! :)
I actually just took a screenshot of the reticle view on Chairgun, cropped the image and imported it into the spreadsheet document...taking DIY to another level!
I am actually busy uploading part 2 now. I'll post it once its up.

Matt

Reactions: cubo
"Matt_Dubber"
"BitFrost"Keep up the good work, Matt! This stuff is very helpful, and I'm going to copy your range card setup.
I actually just took a screenshot of the reticle view on Chairgun, cropped the image and imported it into the spreadsheet document...taking DIY to another level!
I am actually busy uploading part 2 now. I'll post it once its up.

Matt
I see, easy enough with paint or photoshop:)
I watched part two just now. I think for myself, I'll do the range cards to see how that goes first. But I'll definitely get the WeatherFlow wind meter. Such a cheap and handy equipment, how could I not.
Well done on the tutorial. :)

One thing I found about using strelok is it takes a few seconds to enter in information in to your phone. By the time you enter everything, your rabbit or bird already took off. I feel that strelok helps you to practice on your gun but in the field hunting, it's impractical. Seconds and quick reflexes count and knowing how your gun shoots is more important

The main part where strelok has help me is when I'm out running running errands. When I find myself waiting for something, I try to guess how far an object is then pull out my rangefinder. And yes I carry around my rangefinder almost everywhere I go but my wife forbids it on our dates. After I know my distance I try to guess where I would aim my gun. I then enter all the info in to strelok and see how close I was

"RC-NL"I was wondering, in chairgun you can select a cd curve especially for diabolo pellets.(default setting I believe) In strelok you can only select the g1 curve. I found during real life testing with a chrony that the cd curve used in chairgun is more accurate. (.25 cal jsb's @ 890 fps) anyone else noticed this? Matt?

You can select the "GA" drag function in Strelok. Strelok actually uses the exact drag function that Chairgun uses so they should be exactly the same if you select GA instead of G1. You may only be able to do this in Strelok Pro as opposed to the free version.

"PaulWI"Matt just wondering if there is more than the fact strelok can collect data from the weather flow that you choose using it over ChairGun Mobile?

Ps thank you for all your work I have enjoyed your videos very much.
+1
Hi Paul

I just way prefer the layout of Strelok and find it easy to navigate. Personal preference, I suppose:) But the fact that it uses your phone's built in barometer to find the air pressure is also hugely important for me because I hunt between the coast and the mountains.

Matt

"jimreed1948"Two very good videos. When your in the field, how do you have time to calculate this? By the time I would do that, whatever I was going to shoot at would be gone.
Two examples of situations where this app made a massive difference for me: 

1) Shooting pigeons from long range over feeding troughs. I ranged different spots where I knew the pigeons would land, made mental notes of the adjustment needed for each spot and when the birds landed I just had to dial and shoot.

2) Hunting Rock Hyrax (small mammal...local species) from long range. The advantage of shooting from a distance is that you generally have a little more time. Once I spotted a Hyrax I found that I had more than enough time to do the necessary work on Strelok, and because its more precise than the cards I could be sure of one shot, one kill.

In a different situation the app may take too long, but it definitely has its place!