• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Random musings on Airforce TalonP

I have been playing around with a new TalonP. I doubt anything I am doing is new or different, but I am posting here in case anyone has similar experiences or suggestions about related tinkering. If any of you can suggest a particular forum for discussing Air Force airguns or the TalonP if this isn’t the place, I’d appreciate it.

So, I find the flexibility and adjustability of this gun to be pretty amazing (however It is the only pcp I’ve shot so all I can compare it to from personal experience are springers and multi pumps).

I bought a couple of things to be able to modify it a little, just for the fun of it. I bought a heavier hammer, an aluminum breach, and the top hat valve kit from Air Force. No particular goal, other than seeing if I could increase the “dynamic range” of this air gun. I mean, increase the range between the lowest and highest power settings. Between the power wheel and the ring loc valve set alone, I can change this from a quiet garage-suitable plinker (that still has a good amount of power) to an abusive ear-ringing rifle-like power.

I can’t believe all of this out of one pistol. 

the top hat kit is amazing. With the smallest valve, I get a huge number of shots and good power. Also the power wheel has obvious effects on velocity with this valve. I shot pellets into a maple log cross section at 1, 3, 5 and 8 on the power wheel. Each sank visibly deeper than the previous, which makes me think the wheel really is fine tuning power. 

The hammer mod I’m not sure about especially if the wide open tophat is installed. wonder if other people have experience with this (i got the heavy slap-mod hammer from TalonTunes). It quiets the slap, and seems to work fine especially with the smaller aperture top hats, but I wonder if it is wasting air at the highest power wheel settings with a larger valve?

with the stock top hat and heavy hammer, the power wheel cannot really dial the power down so the bottom end of the power range is lost. My question is: has the top end been extended, or was it already maxed out with the stock hammer and all I am doing is shooting extra air down the barrel after the pellet or getting lots of hammer bounce.

I can’t wait for my chronograph to get here so I can check out what’s happening. I am forced to shoot in my garage and have not had a chance to really test this gun maxed out (heavy hammer, large top hat, highest power whee setting) so I don’t know if the large hammer increase power over all or just eliminates the low end. 

Head over to Talon tunes and get the trigger spring. All your questions will be answered when the chrony arrive. Jsb 25.4 and 33.9 is a good choice. I also would highly recommend spending $12 for Strelok pro. With these options and a budget range finder you are good to go.
1591572066_7208920955edd766294fee7.66809034.png

I second Shamboozie's recommendation. There is a lot of data that I dropped on the forums here three or four years ago about my experience with returning a "Talondor" back to being basically a standard Talon. I'll see if I can find some links and drop them here.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/aaskiff-good-seller-prompt-shipper/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/condor-question/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-condor/

Bewarned Hunting Forum

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/condor-strikes/

MrP,

I’m glad to hear you are driving head first into the TalonP! Airforce makes a great platform for tinkering and upgrades. There are endless projects to make your gun perform however you want. 
First, I want to say that this is a great forum for Aiforce advice, so don’t step away for too long.

Second, if you haven’t found it already, talonairgun.com is a treasure chest of info on modifying Airforce guns. There isn’t as much activity on that site these days, so airgunnation is where most of the community spends their time. 

I can’t say enough good things about Tony over at TalonTunes. Shambozzie is right about the trigger spring being a game changer. 

-Kevin. 

Do you mean “that sucker must wake up the dead”? If so, I agree. Dialed up to 13 it makes a real hollow “boom” and my ears ring a bit... I’m worried my neighbors will call the cops. So I mostly shoot with the small top hat which make a nice quiet “pssshht” that doesn’t worry me. 

haven’t messed with the trigger yet. What benefit does the replacement trigger spring provide? Is it easy to replace? My trigger made some sproingy noises at first and felt a little rough but some lubrication took care of that. 

Are there 16” barrels that will fit a tolonp without any modification? I’ve seen people mention 16” barrels in a talon p but if I recall airforce only sells 12,18,24

16" barrel only fits in the TalonP frame if you have a bullpup kit for it.

The bullpup kit sits the barrel back 5.5", so the that is the reason why people use a 16" barrel.

I cut mine down to 16" then recrowned it.

Don't know why the guy that made the bullpup kits, stopped making them.

And don't understand why Airforce doesn't make it an option.

Think I saw a TalonP with a barrel extending out of the body a few inches. Maybe that was an 18” barrel. I was hoping I could some day put a 16” barrel just sticking out the end like the condors. Long way off but I was thinking I’d change the barrel on this as a cheap way to get a new airgun without getting a new airgun

Most that I have seen just remove the last 1" off the barrel of a 18" barrel, and then you'll have 5" of barrel sticking out of the front. They use the heavy barrel which I think is 15mm vs the 12mm option.

Continuing to enjoy this airgun. Decided to take off the little hot dog bun thing under the barrel towards the front. What is the point of that actually? Seems like maybe if someone’s going to convert this into a rifle by adding a stock off the bottle then it might make sense. Anyway it looks better without it. And I never use it so it is gone for now

I have been using the “ring loc” Kit to damp down the power when shooting in my garage. I get about 50 decent shots when I use the smallest valve cap.

The heavy hammer that I installed seems to kind of eliminate the bottom end of the power spectrum on this but otherwise works fine. With the wide open valve cap at the lowest power wheel setting I am getting at least 26 foot pounds. I don’t have a moderator so I can’t bring myself to shoot it much up above 30 FPE. It’s just too obnoxious. I worry my neighbors will think my unsilenced talon is a silenced firearm. So until I can find a cheap moderator or justify spending $100, I will have to keep it dialed down.

I have iron sights on it. I just was annoyed by having to remember to turn off the reflex site - I don’t want to have to turn my gun on and off and worry about button cell batteries. Or spend $500 on one that’s better. I think this is because I’m just thinking in the garage so I don’t need anything very precise. Are used a Mendoza we’re not site that I found on eBay combine with some random high profile front side that I bought on Amazon. It seems like a cheap knock off, it came with a rear sight that had a little peep hole sight for a rifle. Anyway I like the iron sights. Just pick the thing up point and shoot. I have these permanent acrylic paint markers. They are the type used for graffiti. They mark up any surface with a very intense bright permanent color, so I use these to put contrasting colors on the sights to make them easy to see in less than perfect lighting situations. 

I also recently picked up a chronometer which is nice. But it’s one of those little plastic ones where you have to shoot through the hole and it seems fragile and like one day I’m going to shoot at the wrong angle and blow the thing to smithereens.

I am getting a sense of the relationship between the noise of the gun and the muzzle energy (more or less) which is kind of nice.

I have a talon p it is the older model .serial number 192 it is a very accurate hard hitting gun I put 18 inch barrel on it in 25 Cal. it is primarily used for groundhog hunting and any other pest control . You can get a moderator from Donnie FL they work fantastic If I knew how to post pictures I would but I am a old-school man. I also have the talon in 22 It also is accurate 

Wondering about a longer barrel to be able to convert this to a rifle and back as needed. 

I assume PA or AGD will carry these, but does anyone have a different source or idea for how I could get my hands on a .25 18” barrel? Used would be an option

Might also be interested in .22 12” and .22 18” depending on the price.

thanks to anyone who can help

Wondering about a longer barrel to be able to convert this to a rifle and back as needed. 

I assume PA or AGD will carry these, but does anyone have a different source or idea for how I could get my hands on a .25 18” barrel? Used would be an option

Might also be interested in .22 12” and .22 18” depending on the price.

thanks to anyone who can help

Just post a WTB Airforce barrel ad in the classifieds here & on GTA.

I had pm's seriously after 10 mins. So many Airforce owners upgrade to longer barrels and just have their stock ones laying around.

Or if you can't find one on the classifieds, or if you rather a new one just order it directly from Airforce.

https://www.airforceairguns.com/AirForce-Airguns-Lothar-Walther-Barrel-p/u10lw.htm

Airforce customer service is incredible and an absolute pleasure in dealing with.