Rainy Fall Day with the HW55

Raining out like crazy yesterday afternoon here in New England. Perfect day to get the HW55 out for some indoor range time. Mine is in my shop basement. 20 yards of fun!! I use a homemade trap filled with ballistic putty. Super quiet and no lead dust.

Got out the HW55M and went to town. It was like I never put it down since the last rotation. Always amazed by the tiny groups. I always think the same thought....why did they ever make any other model after this laser of a rifle. Seems perfect.

My friend Mike arrived and we broke out his freshly restored HW55M. His is the model without the lock up mechanism. Very rare! It had just come back to life after being found in a horrible state of disrepair. New bluing and a stock refinish and boy oh boy is it gorgeous!!

I got to try it out and managed to put 4 out of 5 in one very tiny hole with the Weihrauch match sites. Incredible! Especially when you consider that it's not broken in yet.

Funny how the hours pass when you get some range time in with your friends . Seemed like a short time but turned out to be over 4 hours of shooting fun. Trying different pellets and different shooting styles with each rifle to see what they do provided us with an interesting day.

I hope the HW55 people appreciate what I'm saying . Here's a pic of the 2 rifles. Both of these were restored by Scott Blair from Airguntunes.com. The quality level of the workmanship is very impressive....IMO. He also upgraded all the internals with modern seals and springs. So, these rifles are good to go for many years to come. 
1570694619_21047572935d9ee5dbcbea46.08970411_20191009_144339.jpg

I reckon I qualify as one of those “HW 55 people” LOL...and those are very very very very very very VERY nice...!!! The HW 55 is about my favorite air rifle ever*, and those are two sterling examples. Wow! Gorgeous wood on both as well.

Collector nerd trivia: the latch-less version had an “F” in the name, i.e. it was an “HW 55MF” in HW’s catalog.

Thanks for an early-morning eye candy treat. BTW what kind of iris is that on yours? Nice-looking unit.

(* see avatar)

Gorgeous! Thank you, & thanks for letting us know Scott’s still going strong. 
I have 2 to 4 stocks I’d love redone or customized by a professional, though I could do a decent to good job I know for a stock to be done right, so that filled pores never shrink & show it could take quite a bit of time (3 months) I don’t have. I have tons of time. Just not dedicated free time a stock requires.

I love all gorgeous accurate airguns. Even my 6 fpe .177’s. Wish I’d kept my freshly resealed, refinished vintage Walther Spezial done by Kenny in Minnesota. 

I stumbled om an HW55S years ago, that had four deep gouge scratches in one side of the stock. On one side of the block it said HW55S, and on the other it said Beeman R-8. I bought it for a ridiculous price.

It was a tack driver but I am a hunter, and it just did not have the power. I stupidly traded it away. Smoothest springer i ever fired, but useless to me other than on the target range..

“Burgo” was the trade name for Karl Burgsmuller, a large sporting goods trading company in Germany. Much like Sears back in the day, or Beeman in later times, they sold several makes of airguns under their own name, including the complete line of Weihrauch rifles. I have several HW 55’s and an old HW 50 with “Burgo” on them. 

These guns often have interesting detail differences from the HW-branded equivalent, but are essentially the same. Danny Garvin’s Vintage Airguns Gallery has a nice section on Burgo airguns:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery.com/burgo-burgsmuller/burgo-miscellaneous/

Before the Rekord was introduced in the mid-1950’s, there were at least three different trigger designs used on the HW 55. If you can post a photo and/or serial number of your gun, I may be able to tell you its age, and describe the trigger adjustments.

Tyrolean 1 of 25, M, MM

Mike

Those are SWEET!! I don't know how you find all of those gorgeous rifles!!!

JC

LOL, Between DualMagMike and John, it is a miracle there are any mint vintage guns left (especially the R1, HW55, or FWB sporters!) While I can't fault anyone for having excellent taste, I may have to join Mike D in a "fit of jealous rage" after looking at Matt's tyro - absolutely amazing! 😃 Talk about winning the walnut lottery!!