• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Rainstorm adaptor & Huma Mod30 clipping

Hey all,

I picked up a used Rainstorm in .30 this month tuned by W.P. and pushing 90-100 FPE, It was making very nice groups at 60 yards, and I ordered up a Donny FL adaptor so I can quiet it down some. I had some Huma Mod30 chambers that were not being used, so I screwed them together and put them on the gun, without an end cap as I don't have an endcap in .30. The three chambers did a decent job making the gun quiet enough, but I couldn't hit the 48x48 piece of plywood behind my target. I could hear the pellets sailing out into the corn field.

I disassembled the moderator, it was full of lead, and the chamber baffle openings were battered badly. I don't know if I would call that clipping. More like battering-ramming, the openings were horribly deformed. I pulled out my calipers and checked the holes in one of the Mod30 baffles on my .25 Taipan, and they are about .31 diameter. Huma does sell a .30 Mod30 moderator, so I assumed the chambers were the same for 22, 25, and 30, but maybe I was wrong about this.

This gives me two questions:

1) Does a .31 baffle seem big enough for a .30 moderator, or is too small and very likely to cause clipping.

2) Is is possible the Donny FL adaptor isn't seated quite right and might be slightly non-concentric, leading to the clipping? Is there a way to verify how concentric the adaptor is to the barrel?

Thanks all,
-pg

I put a Neil Clague on my Evanix Max .177. He makes it for your rifle,threads into the shroud and guarantees it. The opening and internals are all def at least .22. So .05 larger than caliber.

20230722_124955.jpg