• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Raccoon Hunting Tips.

Latest run in with the raccoons has been quite aggravating. Earlier this week I found two in my pecan tree, obviously stuffed with fresh pecan, and hidden well enough that I couldn't get a shot. Tonight I check and its 3 of the buggers. This time they all stayed within good view of me as if they were blatantly taunting me to take a shot at them.

So looks like I'll be trying the marshmallow or vanilla wafer bait.

AT 1st I use a flashlite on a Diana md. 34 springer in .22 doing one shot kills by aiming at the eye reflections only.That does the job. But my shots were limited to only those targets. Switched to airforce arms talon ss in .25 with a modified valve and hammer to give me 50 ft-lbs. Now I can do head and heart lung shots not just eye reflection shots. more opportunities, more kills, less damage, dead poultry, fear of dogs being torn up, I've bated live traps with fish guts, canned sardines, smelly pet food, dead animals as squirrels and birds, peanut butter, marshmallows. They have even eaten my mouse and rat killer which is composed of blood thinner and grain. They bleed to death. Don't think the notice, just pass out and die. The stronger the bait sent scent the better also a tub of clean water close by helps.

"JDShapp"Only thing I have that the NP likes is some 13gr JSB RS pellets. My Disco prefers Beeman Copper FTS and JSB 14.35gr. Least fussy is the Marauder. Those are the only ones I dare use at home. Out on my rural property is a different matter, my new Texan becomes an option even if it is overkill.
I also have a Trail NP in .22, and it doesn't group well with any but the tightest fitting pellets (and even then, not great). I suspect bad barrels, as I have two and both feel the same when I push a pellet through them. I feel rifling "grip" on the pellet for about the first 1/3 of the barrel length, then a release for the second 3rd, then the pellet literally drops the last third until it stops at the barrel crown, which is choked. With either of my two .177 barrels, the same gun is a tack driver. Perhaps try pellets with larger head diameters?