• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Raccoon Hunting Tips.

I have two different situations that involve raccoons. Both will be waiting until hunting season opens, and that means I'll have plenty of time to setup for them.

First one is I have a raccoon that's been routinely visiting my frog pond in my side yard. Lucky for me I've been able to catch it on a trail camera several times so I know when it likes to show up. Ideally I'd like some suggestions on how to setup a cheap alarm system in the house to warn me when it shows up.

The second one is a raccoon I'm going to remove for a friend of the family that owns a body shop. His only major concern is making sure the animal can't escape back under the offices of his business which is where its built a den at. That one I know will be a waiting game I need some idea of what kind of bait will work best to draw it out in the open for a clean shot.

I would be very careful with the one at the body shop. If you do not drop him with a brain shot and it dies under the body shop you are going to loose a friend due to the stench. I would suggest using a trap to relocate the animal or using the most powerful gun possible to insure a clean kill. I am sure my 25 Marauder would do the job, but I use 22 lr high velocity hollow points now. Years ago I had a group of coons that would run across my roof at night waking me up. Half asleep at 3 am I grabbed my trust RWS 34 is 22 and missed the head and hit the neck. Coon fell off the roof and crawled under my shop, a portable building on blocks, where it died. I lost the use of my shop for weeks while nature took care of my mistake.

I bait a "live" trap with most anything. I have caught raccoons with: bread, apples, birdseed, chipmunks (shot with airgun), squirrel (shot with airgun).

I have just put Sunflower seeds (from my birdfeeder) on the ground at the base of a big tree in my backyard that is lit from an outdoor flood light on my house. The tree is 21.5 yards from my attached screened in-porch. I can see them eating from inside my house anytime after dark. I have my tripod set up in the porch with my Marauder ready to go. I dispatch about 10-15 every year.

Yeah my dad use to do some gun smith work when I was a kid and sold those cci I can't remember what they are truly called I think cb shorts but we called them mini caps. My dad stopped selling them to the public after he found out coon hunters would use them to knock coons out of a tree with a shot to the rump just to see the hounds chase. But a head shot will do the trick, I've taken several and probably 20 ground hogs with them

I intend to use a headshot with my .25 marauder on the raccoons, and probably with predator polymags if I find out they're accurate enough. My intentions were to use bait to draw it out into the open far enough from its hole where it can't escape into. Also going to ask if it'd be possible for me to rig up drop setup to plug the hole so it can't get back in once I do go about putting it down.

Live chickens are out of the question for baiting, and I can't use a trap due to neighbors having several cats that would like get caught before the raccoon would. Also I am considering getting something like this to help with the shots since they'll be taken in the dark.

http://www.amazon.com/WindFire%C2%AE-Complete-Waterproof-Flashlight-Rechargeable/dp/B00Q2CH382/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R5PMV082SVXJQV8PEM8&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

Based on distance you plan to shoot, the Trail NP .22 or the .25 Marauder will do the job. The farther away you get, the more critical shot placement and type of pellet become. Raccoon have a decently thick skull, especially when shooting them between the eyes. I've had 38 grain Remington .22 subsonic hollow points traveling at 940 fps (5 inch barrel) not penetrate the skull at 3 ft with the "between the eyes" shot. I've also put down more than a few raccoon with the .22 NP and .25 Marauder as our laws require dispatch of "nuisance" raccoon. These dispatch shots have been head shots taken from several inches to 10+ yards. For raccoon that have not been confined, the longest shot I've taken is 35 yards with a .22 RWS 34 (lung shot) when it was in a tree and I've made multiple "tree" shots from 10 - 30 yards with the .22 NP successfully.

When I tested the poly mag on a 5 lb clay block at 22 yards using a .22 NP2 it gave me a wound channel that was 0.450" wide and 1.293" deep. I've tried dispatching raccoon at point blank range with head shots using poly mags in the .22 NP, .22 NP2, and .22 Marauder Pistol and in more than 50% of the tests (85%+ with the PRod), the raccoon required a follow up shot unless the shot was at the back of the skull. Doing the clay testing with a JSB diabolo gave me a wound channel of 0.263" with a depth of 2.389 inches. During the dispatch testing, no follow up shots were required for point blank range head shots with the diabolo pellets regardless of shot placement. The same testing (5 lb clay block at 22 yards) with the .25 Marauder resulted in the poly mags giving a wound channel of 0.656 with a depth of 1.950" and for the JSB Exact King diabolo the wound channel was 0.283" and the depth was 2.869". I've done limited dispatch testing with the .25 Marauder, but to date all point blank range shots have 100% success regardless of pellet. While these results do show the .25 is the more powerful of the two (which comes as no surprise), it also shows that neither of the calibers match up to a Remington .22 subsonic producing 72.68 fpe at the pistol's muzzle and its down range energy.

Due to the potential for the pellet retaining the maximum amount of it's energy is why I recommend raccoon head shots be taken only with diabolo pellets unless you are shooting in an area where you can quickly walk to the animal for a point blank follow up shot if necessary. If you decide to use the poly mag or another type of hollow point, try to limit yourself to side of head or back of skull head shots for best results. In terms of distance, I'd recommend not doing a head shot past 20 yards with the .22 NP and not past 35 yards with the .25 Marauder.

When the raccoon is in a tree, I've had good success with the heart/lung shot with both diabolo and hollow point pellet types but now prefer the poly mag/hollow point for the extra trauma (even through it isn't much more than the diabolo pellet, it is more) as it seems to speed up the dispatch process. I say "seems" because I've never actually timed the difference so I can't say if this is true or not. What I like about this shot is that the raccoon tends to "hug" the tree staying in place for the most part until it looses enough blood that it can no long maintain it's hold then falls to the ground. I have had an issue twice with the .22 NP using hollow points where the first shot must have just clipped the lungs so I wasn't getting the internal bleeding I was hoping for and had to do a second shot which resulted in the coon moving around and higher into the tree. I bring this up because I had a case where the raccoon could have dropped to the ground and attempted to run off as it was only 6 or 10 feet up but luckily for me it didn't.

Keep in mind that these results are specific to my experience and testing of my equipment so it may be different for you, but hopefully this will give you some help.

Eric

Yes, light stays on all evening and apparently this raccoon has come back twice now and that's with people actively watching it. Beginning to think its one someone in the area has purposely fed before. Heck, we even had a possum show up the other night that refused to leave even with some poking with a broom handle. The raccoon may get a pass as long as I don't find evidence of it destroying anything, but the possum is going to go.

Also on my rural property tonight I had a close encounter with at least 3 raccoons, all going for the bird feeders I've setup in the area. Two were probably this years offspring and I believe the largest was the mother. I gave them all some warning shots with my Marauder, but I find it shocking they'd show up there of all places after I'd been test firing my Texan until dusk the previous night. I'll give them one more pass if I find them again, and then if they haven't gotten the hint they'll be taken at the beginning of hunting season.

As for catfood I'd think any kind would do.