• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rabbits and the scream...post season

If you've ever heard a rabbit scream then you know...

All rabbit season, I'd see a couple rabbits down near our road(where I can't shoot them) but that was it.
I didn't see/hear a single other rabbit on my property all hunting season(11/5-2-15).
Previous to that, my then 5mo puppy, Amos was found tearing open the back end of a rabbit stuck in our border fence. It had clearly died earlier than when he found it(rigor had already set and it was very cold). He ate as much as he could before I found him and brought him in.

Fast forward 16mo, my now 2 dogs, Amos(GSD) and Bobbie(Rotty mix) were outside when I heard the unmistakable scream of a rabbit...
I ran out with a light and found the dogs at the fence line....with a pile of rabbit fur at the fence. I figured too bad for the rabbit until one grabbed at it and it screamed again.
A closer look revealed the back legs of said rabbit still stuck in the fence, and very much still alive! I backed the dogs off and freed the rabbit from the fence, much to their dismay.
Maybe it got away clean, maybe the coyotes got it after all that screaming, all I know is my dogs didn't get the satisfaction and now they really have the taste for small game. If only the were retrievers, lol.

At least I know I need to look for rabbits a little harder on my property!
Right now I'm feeling kind of stupid for not even see a single rabbit all season...
I guess I should change my name screen name to Elmer Fudd.

I see a lot of rabbits on my property and I don't hunt them much anymore. My 2 brothers asked if they could rabbit hunt and I told them that they could after deer season was over. They hunted at least 10 times and I think that they got 4 rabbits total. They were hunting without a dog and stomping the fence lines. The rabbits are pretty smart and run the fence lines instead of coming out into the fields! 😁

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1