• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rabbit on a snowy afternoon (Finally!)

I have been hoping to get a rabbit here for the past two years. I see a bunch of them at the end of my driveway because there is perfect habitat for them to build their warrens. Unfortunately I can't hunt there because it's too close to the road.
I see them closer to my house but it's pretty rare, even more rare to see them when I have a gun(isn't that always the way, lol). It doesn't stop me from trying to find one though.
Today was no different in that sense but today I had one advantage, it's snowing!
So I waited until 1/2 before sunset to head out into the storm.
It's a pretty bad storm for around here but I spent the last two decades living in the White Mtns of NH, so it's no big deal to me.
I actually felt a little nostalgic for winter. I love being outside in a snow storm.
I was walking around looking for rabbits and not seeing any. I walked down into the woods just in case any squirrel was out for a last minute snack before settling in for the storm. No dice there either.
Not being one to give up easily, I retraced my steps.
At this point the snow was really starting to cover the ground.
As I was rounding the last corner of a copse of pine trees before heading inside I saw a dark lump in the woods.
I thought that's weird that looks just like a rabbit sculpture for gardens. Who would put a fake rabbit there?
I was so dumbfounded, I couldn't believe I was actually looking at a rabbit.
When my wits finally decided to come around I raised the rifle.
And then I quickly realized it was only 10' away. I'd need some pretty serious holdover and I have almost zero practice at that range.
I took a breath and took aim.
In the back of my mind I was still kind of thinking it was fake rabbit because, like rabbits do, it hadn't moved a muscle since I saw it.
I let out half a breath and took the shot.
It just flopped over. DRT
I was like damn, it was real! :ROFLMAO:
I knew my wife was going to be shocked I finally got one and also very happy that I did.
This poor guy will make a nice stew when she's done with it. Just in time for next weeks Arctic weather.

DCC240CB-4CDE-4A1A-BE54-8D28951BF844_1_105_c.jpeg

BRK Sniper XR .22 shooting 14.3gr CPHP

On a side note I picked up my deer pin today. The state gives them out for a successful deer hunt. I'm not a believer in luck but the pin might be spending some time on future rabbit hunts. :cool:

1478A124-7242-4E0D-9593-061D323464E1_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been hoping to get a rabbit here for the past two years. I see a bunch of them at the end of my driveway because there is perfect habitat for them to build their warrens. Unfortunately I can't hunt there because it's too close to the road.
I see them closer to my house but it's pretty rare, even more rare to see them when I have a gun(isn't that always the way, lol). It doesn't stop me from trying to find one though.
Today was no different in that sense but today I had one advantage, it's snowing!
So I waited until 1/2 before sunset to head out into the storm.
It's a pretty bad storm for around here but I spent the last two decades living in the White Mtns of NH, so it's no big deal to me.
I actually felt a little nostalgic for winter. I love being outside in a snow storm.
I was walking around looking for rabbits and not seeing any. I walked down into the woods just in case any squirrel was out for a last minute snack before settling in for the storm. No dice there either.
Not being one to give up easily, I retraced my steps.
At this point the snow was really starting to cover the ground.
As I was rounding the last corner of a copse of pine trees before heading inside I saw a dark lump in the woods.
I thought that's weird that looks just like a rabbit sculpture for gardens. Who would put a fake rabbit there?
I was so dumbfounded, I couldn't believe I was actually looking at a rabbit.
When my wits finally decided to come around I raised the rifle.
And then I quickly realized it was only 10' away. I'd need some pretty serious holdover and I have almost zero practice at that range.
I took a breath and took aim.
In the back of my mind I was still kind of thinking it was fake rabbit because, like rabbits do, it hadn't moved a muscle since I saw it.
I let out half a breath and took the shot.
It just flopped over. DRT
I was like damn, it was real! :ROFLMAO:
I knew my wife was going to be shocked I finally got one and also very happy that I did.
This poor guy will make a nice stew when she's done with it. Just in time for next weeks Arctic weather.

View attachment 425049
BRK Sniper XR .22 shooting 14.3gr CPHP

On a side note I picked up my deer pin today. The state gives them out for a successful deer hunt. I'm not a believer in luck but the pin might be spending some time on future rabbit hunts. :cool:

View attachment 425051
Well done. Share that Rabbit stew recipe

Reactions: AmosBurton