• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rabbit headshot problem

Hi guys and girls I've been shooting for a good long while now and I'm more than used to the odd rabbit kicking about for a few seconds however I took a clean 25 yard headshot on a rabbit with my Theoben Rapid 7 Mk1 .20cal and this rabbit kicked about for a good 30 seconds.

It was pretty concerning to watch and as I was about to clap it over the back of the head it then stopped.

Upon inspection I could clearly see the entry and exit wound perfectly placed between it's eye and ear like so many other shots before it.

Anybody offer an explanation as to why this guy didn't drop as usual?

same pellet
same gun
same shot position
same power

Thanks in advance!

You know, it's looks bad and even sounds bad BUT the nerves of an animal are always different. Example: growing up on a PA farm was interesting. Chickens, lots and lots of chickens we put to rest. One swift slice of a nice sharp hatchet and off with the head, then the body ran around for at least 30 to 45 seconds. So that's all I think this was I believe, Nerves. Now one mustn't think that every shot is the same just because it was placed in the same area. Your angle changes almost every shot, when placest at different angles on the target. For instance, a 90 degree angle broad side shot vs a 80 degree broad shot on the same placement will yield different shots, penetration and so on. So I hope this helps ya with my understanding of aminals nerves. Best Steve 

Even with a 22LR (I know, it's not an airgun), head shot, brain destroyed, I've had many rabbits flop extensively. They're dead, their nerves just don't know it yet. 

I recently watched a North American Trapper show in which the very experienced trapper switched from 22LR rimfire to an airgun. He had problems with head shot skunks spraying and he had zero problems with skunks spraying when shot in the heart with the airgun. 

Good luck and thanks for caring about the animal's welfare. Most of us really don't want the critters to suffer any.

I know how you feel EssexAirHunt. I recently took a very large squirrel with what I thought was a very well placed headshot. The kill was not instant and required a follow-up headshot after he had fallen from the tree and crawled about 30 feet. It really had an affect on me. You did the best you could do. As already mentioned, it's good that you have a conscious and care about a swift kill.

Bro on the YouTube squirrel channel always makes head shots on his squirrels and they do flail a lot. I did the same thing and it looked like an Olympic floor exercise. The squirrel tumbled and flipped for yards. Upon examination it was a perfect through the brain pass. I've now shot hundreds and aim for a heart shot. It's small like the brain, but if you miss you get double lung. Almost always they flop right over with no or little movement. Head shots can be quite disconcerting, especially to non-hunters. If you read Carlos Hathcocks "marine sniper" book he explains the same disturbing phenomenon in war. My father in law would always say when someone else was watching, " you have an audience, be careful". Great advice, and I knew he was referring to shot placement.