• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

R9 tune kit

First time tearing into a springer, I’ve had the gun since I was a kid but never really knew about tuning them. I just got it from my dads a couple weeks ago and it’s time to freshen her up. After doing some research I think I want to go with a Macarri kit and Vortek seal, just needing to make sure what I’m about to order is what I need.

This is the seal that replaces the factory leather seal.

This is the ARH tune kit. FAC Hornet spring.

Is there anything else I need to order? Thanks I’m advance.

Beau

If it's actually a Beeman/Weihrauch R9 made in Germany, it doesn't have a leather seal. All you would need is a 26mm piston seal and your tune kit and some lube of your choice. I prefer the ARH super moly paste.

I'd get a new breech seal while I was at it, and maybe a spare to keep around. They do tend to last quite a while on break barrels though.

Reactions: moodyblues
I got that spring and his seals (one of each to try). And im still fooling with it.

At best the stock hw spring was getting 880-900 fps this arh spring 835+/- more to -.

Mayter of fact just took it down again yestetday to " adjust" like sanded down the seal a bit ( as i been going). I figured as claimed a drop in spring it would of been more to full power but???.

The seal was a little tight but this is the 2ed go round on fitting it " better" .

I dont know about the vortex. Lots / poplar claim use the arh spring with the vortex seal. I need to see how this goes and then order a new hw stock seal and a vortex to try or may just go back to all stock hw.

I got time and patience to play with it some more its just somthing aint working out and cant put my finger on where ,. Seal? Spring? Too toght on the guide? The guide is kind a thin to start so not much room to sand down to fit in the spring better.

In the end you buy one and try it out ..

As said above add a breech seal or 2 with that order. If not and you need one the shipping cost more then the seal ..lol. So its worth throwing one in on a bigger order. Then you got one when needed.

If it's actually a Beeman/Weihrauch R9 made in Germany, it doesn't have a leather seal. All you would need is a 26mm piston seal and your tune kit and some lube of your choice. I prefer the ARH super moly paste.

I'd get a new breech seal while I was at it, and maybe a spare to keep around. They do tend to last quite a while on break barrels though.
Yes it’s a German made Beeman R9 right around 20 years old now. That’s what was throwing me because I don’t recall anyone talking about a leather seal conversion, but I couldn’t find any other seal on their website for the r9. I went back and looked, it’s at the very bottom of the page. I’ll get the correct seal, moly paste and a couple spare breech seals. Thank you

I usually just buy this, this & this:

Most of the time, the OEM spring guide works, and I make my own top-hats on the lathe as well as touch up the spring guide if necessary.
Jim used to carry all three lubes for $25, but that seems to be gone .....

Tuning has an art to it, but this should get you rolling -- less lube is better.

Last edited:
I got that spring and his seals (one of each to try). And im still fooling with it.

At best the stock hw spring was getting 880-900 fps this arh spring 835+/- more to -.

Mayter of fact just took it down again yestetday to " adjust" like sanded down the seal a bit ( as i been going). I figured as claimed a drop in spring it would of been more to full power but???.

The seal was a little tight but this is the 2ed go round on fitting it " better" .

I dont know about the vortex. Lots / poplar claim use the arh spring with the vortex seal. I need to see how this goes and then order a new hw stock seal and a vortex to try or may just go back to all stock hw.

I got time and patience to play with it some more its just somthing aint working out and cant put my finger on where ,. Seal? Spring? Too toght on the guide? The guide is kind a thin to start so not much room to sand down to fit in the spring better.

In the end you buy one and try it out ..

As said above add a breech seal or 2 with that order. If not and you need one the shipping cost more then the seal ..lol. So its worth throwing one in on a bigger order. Then you got one when needed.
Just from what I’ve read I didn’t want to deal with fitting the arh seal, that’s the reason I was going with the vortek. There were a couple guys in past threads that said that combo was the sweet spot. As long as it’s close to factory speeds and smooth I’m good with it. It’s got so much vibration from the factory that it’s really not that fun to shoot after playing with pcps for a while. Growing up with it I just got use to it, it’s still a great gun and very accurate.
Thanks for the help man.

I usually just buy this, this & this:

Most of the time, the OEM spring works, and I make my own top-hats on the lathe as well as touch up the spring guide if necessary.
Jim used to carry all three lubes for $25, but that seems to be gone .....

Tuning has an art to it, but this should get you rolling -- less lube is better.
Thank you I’ll probably go that way instead of making a separate order with vortek for just the seal. Much appreciated.

That hw ebay seal spiral posted looks like a custom air seal seal..

But ya, 800 fps is all i can get out of that arh spring .. next take down will be the 4th resize try. Ots still a weee bit tight but not anything like new was.. one i got arh seal got to 853fps but with what shots on it you can easy see the transfer port hole mark stamped in it now. Like it was slaming , but not so strong as i wanted back to 880-900 with the cphp 7.9 .177.

The seal on the posted sight will fit with almost no fitting required. ARH seals are always too big and need trimming/fitting.

I easily get 880 to 900 (7.9 CP) out of the Hornet spring, just depends how you shim/space it + seal fit.
In addition, I always use piston buttons ... which slow things down even more.

Just remember all the re-sizing will give you more data for future tunes and adjustments:).

Spiral
Should I go ahead and order a new tophat also? This guns been shot a lot over the last 20 years and has never been apart.
I enjoy tuning my pcps so I’m sure I’ll enjoy the tuning process on the springer as well, I just wanted it to be as simple as possible since I have zero experience with this. I’ve used your recommendations a lot in the past (GTA) and they’ve never steered me wrong, if you think fitting the arh seal is the way to go I can do that.

Spiral
Should I go ahead and order a new tophat also? This guns been shot a lot over the last 20 years and has never been apart.
I enjoy tuning my pcps so I’m sure I’ll enjoy the tuning process on the springer as well, I just wanted it to be as simple as possible since I have zero experience with this. I’ve used your recommendations a lot in the past (GTA) and they’ve never steered me wrong, if you think fitting the arh seal is the way to go I can do that.
The ARH kit should have a guide and top hat, mine have. The description on his site says custom guides x2. Unless you only bought the hornet spring.

The seal on the posted sight will fit with almost no fitting required. ARH seals are always too big and need trimming/fitting.

I easily get 880 to 900 (7.9 CP) out of the Hornet spring, just depends how you shim/space it + seal fit.
In addition, I always use piston buttons ... which slow things down even more.

Just remember all the re-sizing will give you more data for future tunes and adjustments:).
I cant get close to 900 no matter what seal i use with it. (Of his) im going to shoot and yrim till i can get a order big enough to grab the stock hw seal to throw back in it ..
I just cant stand a gun that shoot more like a mortor..lol. I prefer fast and flat.. not aim at a cloud to hit the dirt 🤤

But hay... What ever you do just grab a extra seal 2 piston and a breech to have handy .. no point needing a $7 seal and 14 shipping to get one quick or nick the piston seal in a butter finger / oops moment you got a back up kinda thing . this r9 had a lot of razor blades in it to sand out . ..lol.

Good luck .

Last edited:
Spiral
I enjoy tuning my pcps so I’m sure I’ll enjoy the tuning process on the springer as well, I just wanted it to be as simple as possible since I have zero experience with this. I’ve used your recommendations a lot in the past (GTA) and they’ve never steered me wrong, if you think fitting the ARH seal is the way to go I can do that.
Moodyblues,
Do this:
1) Buy the ARH Hornet spring.
2) Buy the piston seal I referenced above.
3) I'll make U a top hat - just send me your address.

That said - listen to "Story in Your Eyes" & "Gypsy" for me ....(y)

I cant get close to 900 no matter what seal i use with it. (Of his) im going to shoot and yrim till i can get a order big enough to grab the stock hw seal to throw back in it ..
I just cant stand a gun that shoot more like a mortor..lol. I prefer fast and flat.. not aim at a cloud to hit the dirt 🤤

But hay... What ever you do just grab a extra seal 2 piston and a breech to have handy .. no point needing a $7 seal and 14 shipping to get one quick or nick the piston seal in a butter finger / oops moment you got a back up kinda thing . this r9 had a lot of razor blades in it to sand out . ..lol.

Good luck .
I like speed too, but for this one I’m just going for smooth. I’ll do some squirrel hunting with it, but mainly target work. I’ve never experienced a nice tuned springer, and I’ve been hunting and shooting them for going on 20 years now. I really want to see what it’s all about. I’ll probably try a more powerful kit in it once I get bored with working this one up.
I’ve got a RWS 48 that needs alot of love. I bought it at a gun show when I was 12 I think, it was shot out then. I’ll do a power kit in it when I get to it.
I’ll grab extra seals for sure, thanks for the tip.

Moodyblues,
Do this:
1) Buy the ARH Hornet spring.
2) Buy the piston seal I referenced above.
3) I'll make U a top hat - just send me your address.

That said - listen to "Story in Your Eyes" & "Gypsy" for me ....(y)
You got a deal, ver much appreciated. Story in your eyes is a great song. I hadn’t heard gypsy, I do like it. I’m not a huge moodyblues fan, I like some of their songs not really my genre though. Last name and I love music figured it would work lol. Thanks for your help Kirk, I’ll pm you.

Speed aside i cant complain too much after that. It shoots and hits well .

After yestetdays clean and relube (using krytox in this). And a quick sight in heres the re- breakin shots . Just shooting 5 or so time to time through out the day at 50yards on stock irons and cphp .177. being slower and not as flat shooting it's just i cant use one sight adjustment for all ranges from 10m to 50. With little to no hold over / under. Just a bit too much trajectory arc now for my liking (??)

50rebreakinshots.jpg

Man it looks like it’s shooting good. That’s all I need at the moment, a spring gun that’s easy to shoot. I’ve never gotten exceptional accuracy with mine because it’s pretty hard to shoot with the recoil.

I got mine apart and cleaned yesterday evening. It looked like an old WW2 gun that was packed in cosmoline. Everything looked like it was still in perfect condition. Growing up with it Me and dad thought taking it apart was a big deal. It needed a good cleaning. I’m gonna put it back together until my tune kit comes in, we’ll see if just getting all that grease out changed anything.

Do you use a spring compressor to take your R9 apart? I’ve read that a great benefit to the TX200 and I think some of the Hatsan spring gun is no need for a compressor. I watched a couple videos and both guys did it without one. Mine came apart easy and safe enough. Seems like the R9 should be included, and I imagine more HW guns are the same.

Ya, i mean to picture that stuff and forget. I just use a sash/ bar clamp.

I dont think id try without a compressor just to be on a safe side from that oops and parts go flying/ broken / lost.

The r9/hw the thing to eyeball is the safety and its spring.. its spring can easy fly off and get lost if not mindful of it. My hatsans are gas but for me its keeping the trigger assembly from falling apart to deal with . Then maybe the little big screw lock down screws..

Wow just post the post on its own before im done and i hit post...

I use this type of clamp

It maybe 36". I just have them for multi projects gun, wood , weld, what evrr it works on when clamping is needed..

Last edited: