• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.
so I’ve had this R9 since I bought it new in the mid to late eighties. Addmittiedly I have fired it very little . I am thinking maybe 1500 pellets have gone down the barrel. Used it for quail season this year,at which I failed miserably due to my lack of off hand abilities. However while shooting it, it did sound like it was a bit more twang and thunk than I remember. I have meant to send it for a tune but my work and travel schedule these past couple years have been hectic and I been content to shoot my urban pro when the opportunity presents itself. My buddy claims it probably just needs to be relubedl and that all these springs guns need a lube about once a year. Is this right ? And if so, there are so many differ lubes being used on youtube , what would be the preferred lube for my R9. Sorry for the noob questions but although I’ve owned this since new in the eighties I have never really done a lot with it until recently when I met a couple air gunners while out quail hunting last year. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Bob

A few personal opinions..........
"it did sound like it was a bit more twang and thunk than I remember"
Perhaps there are some "spring issues" with 1500 pellets down the tube on a factory spring, however I don't believe that my HW springers were inherently more accurate after one of my home tunes than when in "factory twang mode". If you don't own a chrony I suggest you buy one because if the velocity is consistent. If I have a "10ish fps max variation" or less from shot to shot I'm pretty sure that the mechanicals are "up to snuff". If the velocity varies a lot more then there is probably a mechanical issue like burnt seal, or broken spring, or fouled bore needing cleaning, or loose stock mounting screws. Regardless, I believe that a chrony is pretty much a necessity for keeping tabs on the "health" of your springer.

"it probably just needs to be relubedl and that all these springs guns need a lube about once a year."
LOL.....Beeman used to give a lifetime warranty years ago unless the gun was lubed excessively or disassembled by the owner. The ownersmanual that came with my Beeman R9s decades ago would recommend adding lube "only after the piston seal honks when cocking. Anywhoo......when properly lubed with appropriate lubes a Beeman R9/HW95 doesn't need relubing every year.

"what would be the preferred lube for my R9"
"Old school" or "new school"? For decades spring gun shooters successfully used molly bearing grease carefully applied in minute amounts burnished into the sliding metal parts. When I used molly lubes I would but Molly paste from Air Rifle Headquarters carefully applied to minimize dieseling..........
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/page/page/251484.htm
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251484/42989.htm

A few years ago I started using the non-dieseling "space station lube" from Dupont called Krytox GPL205 and have used Krytox ever since.........
http://store.tmcindustries.com/Krytox-GPL-205-Grease-2-oz-tube_p_18.html
EJSxLJ4l.jpg

For replacement springs I prefer the Air Gun Headquarters offerings fitted with my own home turned tight fitting spring guide and top hat. I've found that the ARH offerings last longer than the factory springs and other after market springs I've used.........
nh5lB1bl.jpg

GXZl4Hhl.jpg

Lube every year is way off in my opinion.
No maintenance since the mid to late eighties, yes it needs a good cleaning and proper ( old school is my way but proper no matter what ) lube, having a new seal while your opening it up might be a sound idea also.

Personally "all the lubes on youtube" either , are "proper" , strangely odd, scary or even harmful.

IMO Ed listed any/every product you should try.

John

Thank you all for the advice. John it is accurate as all get out. At 25 yards from a rest it likes the RWS super points 7.9 grains and JSB diabolo 7.33 match but at 40 yards again rested it will keep 10.4 grain Beeman Kodiac heavies well under and inch. It just does not feel smooth as I remember it and certainly not nearly as smooth as my newer HW30 Urban Pro. I have built a spring compressor and will take it down and give a good cleaning and some new lube. Possibly a tune kit if parts are needed. Again I really thank you all for the advice and Krytox 205 it is.

thanks again guys,
Bob