R9 Horizontal stringing

The shimms fit mine tight you can push them in and it's snugg . You aint getting 3 in ..lol.

Anyway i dont see where carefully tighten the bolt un till the barrel cocked open just barley or just hardly cant freefall on its own weight.

Maybe as a quick option get a new " factory hw". Breech seal (from aoa) and one from like arh. His run a little long and make a near too tight a fit when the beach is closed.. and can affect lockup.

Outside that its hard to say not being hands on in person .

The shimms fit mine tight you can push them in and it's snugg . You aint getting 3 in ..lol.

Anyway i dont see where carefully tighten the bolt un till the barrel cocked open just barley or just hardly cant freefall on its own weight.

Maybe as a quick option get a new " factory hw". Breech seal (from aoa) and one from like arh. His run a little long and make a near too tight a fit when the beach is closed.. and can affect lockup.

Outside that its hard to say not being hands on in person .

I got a new seal from vortek and that one was definitely too big so I went back to the original. I noticed the original is much softer than vorteks. I may slowly sand down the vortek one until it's the right size and see if that helps. Maybe the one I have is too malleable and let's the barrel move too much.

If you bought it new from PA it claims lifetime warranty.. also with that may ser if they will send you new fresh shim washers to try ( maybe throw in a breach seal out of the goodness of there hart).

Have you inspected that played thing the chisel locks up on ? (Part#3)
https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/weihrauch/weihrauch-hw95-spare-parts-2/

Also how worn are the spots where the breach block shims go ?

Last post page 2 by nced to help.

If you bought it new from PA it claims lifetime warranty.. also with that may ser if they will send you new fresh shim washers to try ( maybe throw in a breach seal out of the goodness of there hart).

Have you inspected that played thing the chisel locks up on ? (Part#3)
https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/weihrauch/weihrauch-hw95-spare-parts-2/

Also how worn are the spots where the breach block shims go ?

Last post page 2 by nced to help.

I definitely have some uneven wear like the gun in those photos. The chisel and what it locks to have minimal wear on them

I definitely have some uneven wear like the gun in those photos. The chisel and what it locks to have minimal wear on them
Its pretty tough stuff .. may need to try thicker shim washers ? Ive never had one get to that point (yet). But i snatch mine apart alot so it gets clean fresh hinge bolt assembly lubing regularly. Then nothing lasts forever..

Don't sand the vortek seal. It's not a parachute seal. They are supposed to be tight. They conform to the bore and loosen up with use. Usually takes a day or two and a couple hundred shots.
I probably ran 150 shots through it but was still getting vertical stringing with that one. I'll try just running a bunch more through it. When I first put it in it shot about 4 feet low with that seal haha

Only other thing i guess not covered id the detent chisel spring gone weak .

Pa claims to have the wedge and spring

https://www.pyramydair.com/model-schematic/m/beeman-r9-air-rifle/1900#3800

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/bn-locking-wedge-r9?a=3800.

Id have to call / email them on this bit probably correct

https://www.pyramydair.com/model-schematic/m/beeman-r9-air-rifle/1900#3759

Heck they may even have some a few 1000&s thicker ?

If your sure it not your sights or scope i just dont know where else to go on this.
You could pm mycap65 he may know extra to look at and try

First off, welcome to AGN.

The R9/HW95 is my favorite springer and of all the airguns I've owned these are the ones I will keep. Regarding shim thickness -- I dug through my stash and measured 10 different shims which ranged in thickness from .004-.005" and as stated earlier they don't wear much (if at all).

My personal tightness of the bolt holding the barrel in place is once it has been cocked but not put back, I can place the barrel at half cock and it doesn't fall to fully open. That said, I have had times it did fall fully open and I didn't notice any problems hitting ground squirrels but can't say what it would have done on a target.

You said you have put thousands of rounds thru the gun and obviously you're not afraid it working on it. You stated the barrel shows very little movement when it is open and that the scope and mounts are tight with no movement noticed. You also said the scope is "fairly" new and that optical center seems good.

I've had scopes go bad (internally) and results on targets is similar to what you're seeing. Out of curiousity, I looked on Vortex's website at the Diamondback page and see they aren't cheap. I looked at the specs of all on the Dimanodback page and see all but the tactical series have a parallax of 100 yards. The tactical series has one with 10-infinity and the other has a 20-infinity range.

It don't take much head movement to shift the retical at distances if the parallax is not set at. I suggest you test your check weld when shooting on target and play with different points of contact. For example, whey you put your hand on the barrel while shooting to see if it had any affect on POI, did it shift on that shot?

I seldom post but felt I might be able to offer something useful so good luck on your quest..

I probably ran 150 shots through it but was still getting vertical stringing with that one. I'll try just running a bunch more through it. When I first put it in it shot about 4 feet low with that seal haha
All my Weihrachs and all but one I've tuned use the Vortek piston seals I've had very good luck with them. When they get old the POI will wander a bit. But I've gotten well over 10k shots on those seals before that's happened.
Old piston seals can cause wandering POI but not the levels you're explaining. Your gun seems to have something weird going on with it.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Thing that gets me is his part " i can just push on the end of the barrel and it drops/ moves."

When locked thats a firm positive "locked" position. I got to "slap" mine open its locked tight and its years old and i easily average 15000+ shots a year.

So the barrel locked should not move up or down just putting a little hand weight on it

Edit...

So this r9 theres no play or movment tight precision fit and using the butt end of a screwdriver it took good hard effort to push down the chisel/wedge. Matter of fact i thought if i had to remove and replace that spring id have my hands full and grunting and definitely needing a way to compress it in place hold it wile you got the pin in / not too easy a job i imagine..lol. That springs pretty tough and thats with years of cocking under it today..
wedgeR9.jpg

Last edited:
My HW 35 shot all over the place at 20 yards with 2 different scopes. Also shot really low. Shot tight groups with iron sights. Took barrel off and tried 4 to 3 shims but could not get barrel back on. Bent the original 2 shims and so sent the gun to AOA. They took it apart including the insides. Said the barrel was really fouled but did not find anything. Cleaned the bore and put it together, buffed the insides and relubed with new shims and it shot tight groups with their scope. No charge as they said it was warranty work (owned gun 7 years). The problem started when I overtightened the pivot screw. I tried different tightness on the pivot bolt but the problem persisted. Still puzzled that a dirty bore could cause that much problem.

You said that with the new breech seal the rifle POI was 4' low. this would indicate to me that there is a small amount of slop in the barrel pivot bolt assembly. Have you tried the tissue test and also chrono the rifle? I know this is NOT your problem but my HW95L is like a shotgun if the moderator is loose. Your problem is the barrel movement and NOT the scope, IMHO. Good luck on finding the problem.