• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

R9 cocking shoe galling

Hey guys hope alls well. My R9 has started galling on the inside of the compression tube where the shoe is making contact. The gun is early 2000s and has a macarri spring, spring guide and tophat. I’ve had the gun apart multiple times and have never had an issue. I’ve sanded to 600 grit on the cocking shoe, and on the tube where the shoe makes contact hoping it had developed a burr.
I feel like I’m not going about it right. I haven’t made the problem worse, but my efforts haven’t helped in the slightest. Sorry for the photo quality. Any help is much appreciated.

Beau

263A30E6-9401-418A-BD24-42B4EF7CC772.png

792E34F4-FFEA-473B-A405-2ABACFCA1C91.jpeg

19720E3A-2337-4E39-8BDD-1BC90AA845B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Deerstalker
Maybe get the new style shoe? Some can bemd it back and clean up gallding and relube the action . But that old style shoe been discontinued for the new

Theres a few threads here that kinda address this

This info from mycap65 was good .. (#38)

One the guy was able to bend the old style back to normal ( i guess) and clean things up and worked good . Id guess the tab that cayched the arm may bend out over time and lots of cocking and gets loose fitting and binds and gaulles .

Last edited:
Had to go find it . See if what went on here helps any
Solution

Being that stamped steel may just got bent out of wack and needs to be " adjusted " back to normal for lack of a better wording ..

Not having it for a eyeballs hands on its just suggest and try , ya know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace1969
He’s not having the same symptoms but maybe it’s the same culprit, I’ll try and close the gap a little and I’ll order the new style shoe. Seems odd the guns had thousands of pellets through it over the last twenty years with zero issues then this.

Thanks for your help brother.
Someone my chime in with more fix info.. that old style shoe its one of them things to pop up. Like anything after years and 1000's of shots it that last one that was the straw that broke the camels back kinda thing.

Between here , gta, or agw im sure you can find plenty on this and maybe the fix you need..

I went ahead and ordered parts from chambers, needed a few other things anyway. I searched here and gta just didn’t see anyone having my symptoms, haven’t used agw much. Thanks again.
AoA should of had it. With them you got to call or email on parts. They dont list much on the site . If they got it they'll sell you one.

That size thing mucap65 showed and using the same part number thing in that post would be a concern on that unless somthings changed to distinguish between the 2. Idk.

When your stuck your stuck on things like that . You hate to think you get the wrong one and end up no better off + it's from england , thats my luck ..lol

Voryex shows to have them

http://www.vortekproducts.com/ourstore/Beeman_HWCockingShoe.

Anyway it seems a guy got to go overseas more and more for somthing cause it aint here ..

I didn’t think to check vortek, I was able to get some other parts I needed plus the shoe for about the price vortek wanted for just the shoe. I like chambers anyway, hadn’t ordered from them in a bit.

I bent the tab down a little, seemed to help but didn’t cure the issue. I’ll patiently wait on new parts. Guess I’ll have to make do with my pcps for a few days. Haven’t shot them in months since the springer bug bit me. Lol

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I bought 2 of the correct new style cocking shoes from AoA two or three weeks ago. Ryan the parts guy said he had a bunches of them. They were 15 dollars each 6 dollar shipping. Chambers sent me the wrong one. They showed one part number for the HW95 (R9) and HW80 (R1). The HW80 is much thicker than the HW95. It technically fit but the radius is different and it screwed up my R9 badly. Be aware.

FWIW the wear on the inside of the tube is quite common. Even within the new style shoe. It usually occurs when the original spring breaks and balloons the steel piston liner. The ballooned liner forced the cocking foot up.

In any event what your seeing is not uncommon. As long as there was no damage to compression surfaces I wouldn't worry about it. These things usually hit an equilibrium and don't go further after the parts mate. Making changes to the part, design or replacing parts can introduce a new wear in cycle. I usually check for burs and high spots that may cause further damage. I usually just smooth everything and use a good lubricant to ensure the wear stops.

Thank you. That’s what I did for two days was take the gun apart and polish out the marring. It’s really just scuffing the surface, marring is a bit an aggressive term for what I’m dealing with. I just can’t stand to feel it dragging while I cock the gun. This weekend I’ll take him back apart and remove a little material off the top and bottom of the old shoe, try and keep the new one as a backup.

Thanks for the heads up on the shoe coming from chambers. I’ll get the calipers out and check dimensions.

The guns worth whatever it takes. Dad bought it for me when I was 12, and we didn’t have extra money laying around. It’s the most personally valuable gun I own. The only aggravation is from not getting my daily springer therapy in lol. I’ll let y’all know how it goes, hopefully open him back up this evening.

We’ll I took the guts back out and went to work on it yesterday. Removed material from the top and bottom of the shoe, sanded the piston where the shoe makes contact (didn’t remove much material here) and smoothed out the inside of the tube where the shoe is making contact. Applied moly and put it back together, first break of the barrel was smooth as silk. I felt it drag on the second break and then right back where I was. It almost seems like the cocking arm is pulling the shoe up into the tube instead of pushing it down on the piston.
I think I’m gonna locate a new piston too, should have just ordered one from chambers when I made my order. Kind of stuck on what to do. I like having spare parts so I don’t really want to ruin any parts if they’re not the issue.

Hope it’s as beautiful today where y’all are as my slice of NE Oklahoma!

Hard to say being 500+ miles away..

This is not a hw but just for example sake

What about the cocking arm ? Like does the foot part that fits in the shoe look alright?

hat95linkage.jpg

I guess its wait and see how the new shoe goes.. dont think a new piston will do much or anything .

I do think the new style shoe may be key

A lot claim it's much better like here
"Cocking shoe"
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2020/06/beeman-r10-part-1/

You take that said + what grinded off opens that clearance just a fraction more it will just get looser and bind and grind.

Anyway. When you get it and install it we'll see..

Last edited:
Ok finally got back around to the R9. Ordered a new shoe through chambers, of course it was the wrong shoe. Then made the call to AOA and got the right one.
The new style shoe fixed my issue but I’m dealing with the marring the old shoe caused and it’s not the easiest thing to polish. I’m thinking a ball hone would be perfect for this job. Does anyone have a better way to polish the inside of the tube where the cocking shoe race is?

Thanks for any help.

Beau

Take 16 inches of one inch closet rod and cut a two inch long slot across the end. Put it in the compression tube. Through the cocking slot feed a 2 inch wide piece of 320 grit sanding roll in the slot. Roll the rod until the there's significant drag.. Tear the sanding roll off clean against the cocking slot. Twists the closet rod within and only within the length of cocking slot until the the high galling is gone. You can add cutting oil to help it cut better. You'll never get the deep galling completely gone. The goal is to knock down the high rough stuff so the gun cocks smoothly and doesn't damage anything else