R7 San Raphael or Huntington Beach?

Here's a beautiful JM stock on a nice older R7 that originally belonged to mj102. All the work on it was done by Scott Blair from Airguntunes.com.
I got it from Mike on a trade.
Since then it's been sold. Definitely a regret on my part. Lol

20220208_122653.jpg

20220208_122724.jpg

"After nearly 5 decades these rifles still carry the fading Beeman name.....that speaks volumes."

Ya, Dr. Beeman did his name a disservice by selling to the Chinese. The only "Beeman" rifles made today that has any positive reflection to his name are those made by HW. The rest is crap.

R7.jpg

I have 1 R7 and 3 HW30’s, 2 - .177 and .22. Nothing fancy all new stock. I will get a custom stock for 1 maybe 2 or perhaps make one from scratch. It would be by hand ,no C+C. One of the 30’s has a Vortek spring and piston seal. The rest are getting the same. Like putting excellent tires on a car. The performance is nite and day.
As time moves on I can see myself using these terrific rifles more and more. The one I really enjoy is the .22. It’s so accurate, like lobbing mortars. Every rifle has its quality. Crow
2E55E22F-C1E7-417F-8FE1-398B405AF373.jpeg

I've got five R7's and HW30's, and am relatively new to them, buying my first one only a couple of years ago. My first HW30 was an Ebay item I stole for about $250. It was an early San Rafael Beeman made in 1977 with the European style stock(finger grooves, smaller dimension, no safety and no butt plate). I put a Beeman aperture sight with the optional Merit sight disc with the prescription lens holder on it, and am very happy about the whole situation. I fell in love right away and quickly realized what I had been missing out on by not having any "intermediate" springers. I've been into springers since the late 1980's but only had "magnums" - an R1 in .22, a Kodiak in .25, an HW77 Tyrolean(custom) and HW77K(both Mark I) in .177, all of which I hunted small game. I also bought a new HW50 for Iguana hunting in South Florida. I really enjoyed the easy cocking on my older HW30, and especially the "NO SAFETY" which multiplied the pleasure of shooting it. I started buying intermediates with another no safety HW30, two Beeman R7's in .20 cal, and a new R7 in .177, just to see what changes were made in the new R7's. I do like the older ones much better because of the no safety feature. I went on to get a FWB 150 Tyrolean, FWB 300 Tyrolean, FWB 124 San Anselmo made in 1973, two Beeman P-1 San Rafael pistols - one with with the optional fancy walnut rifle stock, and last but not least, and probably my favorite air rifle, a Walther LG55 Tyrolean with double set triggers made in 1962. I occasionally shoot my magnums, but usually grab an R7 to plink around the property. For coons I'll grab a magnum, usually the HW77 or the Kodiak. The best pellet I use on all my guns for plinking or hunting is the H&N Field Target Trophy, and for formal target shooting the H&N Finale Match Light or the H&N Match Rifle. Sorry for the terrible pictures.View attachment 336169View attachment 336170
15_20 yrs ago we had a hot summer. For some reason logs that were on the bottom for a 100 yrs. (this used to be a logging run). a few started to become buoyant. It pissed a lot of people off they were dangerous. Well I got 5 logs and dried them for 10 years and since milled them. You can’t duplicate the patina. Your wall looks like my boards. Crow

Got mine at the San Rafael Beeman shop in 1981, no safety which is great. Back then you could pick the one you want out,plus pay a little more and get a better stock, also came with a target;lso got the Beeman scope with it.
Will always keep it, this air rifle is capable of one-hole accuracy within its shooting range.
Have rebuilt it 3 times,1stock parts,2 Vortex tunes,3 JM tunes...they all have different feelings.
I need a custom stock for it someday.
BTW,older is better.

;)

R7 Santa Rosa. Original.20 cal. Barrel in front but wearing a HW 30 .177 barrel. My first Quality air rifle. Only had the pleasure of shooting other peoples’ rifles. I actually had a Webley Tempest pistol I traded for this R7. Never got into pistols so I felt it was a great trade. The rifle had a beeman SS2 on it when I got it. Probably should not have traded that off.
CC31AF1A-31F6-49CA-B207-0DF31194870B.jpeg

Sorry for the messy background.

R7 Santa Rosa. Original.20 cal. Barrel in front but wearing a HW 30 .177 barrel. My first Quality air rifle. Only had the pleasure of shooting other peoples’ rifles. I actually had a Webley Tempest pistol I traded for this R7. Never got into pistols so I felt it was a great trade. The rifle had a beeman SS2 on it when I got it. Probably should not have traded that off.View attachment 336545
Sorry for the messy background.
That barrel looks really long....I know the muzzle break adds about an inch, but that barrel looks a couple of inches longer than the original .20 cal. What happened?

What pellet works best in your R7? Any chrono data?
Not sure about holo's R7 .20 but the numbers on mine:
-H&N FTT's: Average 554, ES 11, SD 3, 7.78 fpe
-JSB Exact: Average 497, ES 20, SD 6, 7.53 fpe

Target I shot with both, FTT's on top, JSB 13.73's on the bottom. Didn't think I did too bad for shooting one armed and as a lefty, not my normal right...lol.
R7 Target 20 yards.jpgR7 .20 20 yards.jpg
Story if you're remotely interested is here:

Still have issues with that right shoulder but doesn't stop me from shooting :)

That barrel looks really long....I know the muzzle break adds about an inch, but that barrel looks a couple of inches longer than the original .20 cal. What happened?
I was doing some experimentation with moving the break to different positions to see if acted a bit like a tuner. It’s out about as far as it can go and still have good attachment. The barrel is the same length as the original barrel. Plus, the picture looks a bit deceiving. I noticed it when I posted it.

Steve Corcoran stocked, and a friend's Checkering art. These are so soothing to shoot. Nice calm firing cycle.

I couldn't resist John.

View attachment 138809
First one I've seen with a front sling stud mounted in the wood - REALLY nice. Do you have a cover plate for the absent rear sight? Is there a source for them that you know of? Everything about it is nice. One beautiful rifle. A friend fabricated a rear sight cover for one of my rifles, milled it out of good steel, polished and hot blued it. I've got a sling on my Beeman Kodiak .25, but on a barrel mount sling swivel - solid steel, 1 1/4" width, with a cobra style alligator skin sling. I like the stock mounted stud much better as there is virtually NO CHANCE of it sliding down the barrel OR of it breaking the barrel open. I'd sure like to see the inside of your stock showing the stud mount from the inside, there just can't be much wood in that location. Congratulations on owning such a beautiful R7.
20230303_093623.jpg
20230303_100019.jpg

Reactions: moodyblues
15_20 yrs ago we had a hot summer. For some reason logs that were on the bottom for a 100 yrs. (this used to be a logging run). a few started to become buoyant. It pissed a lot of people off they were dangerous. Well I got 5 logs and dried them for 10 years and since milled them. You can’t duplicate the patina. Your wall looks like my boards. Crow
I guess Pine was the most common tree cut, but I know there are many other species on the bottom of the St. Johns River. But, working with this wood is just so difficult. If I could get my hands on any another species(one without the pine resin - which is what makes it so hard to work with) - I'd probably do it and build another wall with it - it IS extraordinarily beautiful. What are you planning to build with your "old world" lumber?

Reactions: crowski
I guess Pine was the most common tree cut, but I know there are many other species on the bottom of the St. Johns River. But, working with this wood is just so difficult. If I could get my hands on any another species(one without the pine resin - which is what makes it so hard to work with) - I'd probably do it and build another wall with it - it IS extraordinarily beautiful. What are you planning to build with your "old world" lumber?
I believe mine is Hemlock. I have no plans. Have a lot of wood but nothing like this stuff. Your wall looks really good.
Since Airgunning I’ve almost stopped wood working. Been selling tools. Probably take two lifetimes. Crow