• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

R5M question.

1525969173_20555951605af47115c09b23.17248113_79C6BAF1-BBCB-4054-8226-87A034E19EDB.jpeg
I have the R5M standard in .25 cal, and love it. 

Having owned quite a few Matadors over the years (.22 R2.5, .25 R3, .22 R3M, .25 R3M) and having just received my .25 R5M I have to say the R5M is my favorite one yet.

Front cocking is something I’ve wanted for years to avoid breaking position between shots to reload. Quality/velocity consistency/accuracy is typical Edgun. With the larger moderator it's quieter than my R3M with the offset moderator. And Ed has taken “easy to work on” to a new level with the R5M. The R2.5, R3, and R3Ms were all very easy to work on, but the R5M is stupid easy… 1 screw to remove the bolt block to clean the barrel or change the bolt o ring. 3 screws to remove the air reservoir to access the regulator, and 2 of those 3 screws are for removing the stock. Bleed screw is great, no more need for a degasser / regulator puller tool. Detent adjustments on the HST like the Leshiy are great too, no more jam nut to deal with.

First ground squirrel blasting trip with the R5M is this weekend, can't wait.

1525996957_19228115455af4dd9df048e4.62806534_R5M.jpg

"Hookster"Dagabose, have you shot it out to 100 yards yet and if so what kind of accuracy are you getting? Also how quite is it, can you compare it to any other guns for the level of report. Thanks for the help.
I haven’t been able to shoot past 25 yards. That’s the longest my backyard range is. I’ll be taking it a 100 yard range hopefully soon. 

i find it to be really quiet. I had a Dina AM03 break barrel, it’s it’s probly quieter than that. I also had a Wildcat mk2 .25 with a DonnyFL Ronin moderator and it’s quiet like the Wildcat was. I shoot in my backyard, so it’s definately backyard friendly. Also, I have the standard, so the long might even be quieter. The moderator on this rifle is huge. 

"kiba"Having owned quite a few Matadors over the years (.22 R2.5, .25 R3, .22 R3M, .25 R5M) and having just received my .25 R5M I have to say the R5M is my favorite one yet.

Front cocking is something I’ve wanted for years to avoid breaking position between shots to reload. Quality/velocity consistency/accuracy is typical Edgun. With the larger moderator it's quieter than my R3M with the offset moderator. And Ed has taken “easy to work on” to a new level with the R5M. The R2.5, R3, and R3Ms were all very easy to work on, but the R5M is stupid easy… 3 screws to remove the air reservoir to access the regulator, and 2 of those screws are for removing the stock. Bleed screw is great, no more need for a degasser / regulator puller tool. Detent adjustments on the HST like the Leshiy are great too, no more jam nut to deal with.
First ground squirrel blasting trip with the R5M is this weekend, can't wait.
1525996957_19228115455af4dd9df048e4.62806534_R5M.jpg
Nice. You got the long version. I bet you will have a great time shooting squirrels. I’ve gotten a few already with mine. the .25 packs a pretty hard punch. I pretty much knock them out the tree when I hit them. 

Nice. You got the long version. I bet you will have a great time shooting squirrels. I’ve gotten a few already with mine. the .25 packs a pretty hard punch. I pretty much knock them out the tree when I hit them.

It's always fun. I have over 1000 ground squirrels down with my last Edgun, the .25 R3M. I'm confident the .25 R5M will have no issues racking up its own count. :D

Just noticed something else neat about the R5M... because of the way the R5M action is designed, Ed was able to shorten the rifle by 3.5" without giving up barrel or reservoir length. Here's a pic of the .25 R3M long next to the .25 R5M long. Note how the magazine on the R5M sits further towards the butt than on the R3M.

1526080921_18046178915af6259913d528.54736988_r3m vs r5m.jpg

1526080992_21445506245af625e08c29e6.33749699_R3M vs R5M 2.jpg

Have about 600 pellets through the rifle now and did another regulator tweak session. Previously I had the regulator set at 121 bar which gave 950 peak FPS and I had the HST set for 935fps. The rifle was accurate, but still had an occasional slight flyer (maybe 1/2"-5/8" off point of aim at 50 yards.) Could be the pellets, I don't sort them. Based off experience with my .25 R3 and .25 R3M I figured 935fps was probably a little past the optimum accuracy velocity for the 25.4gr JSBs. Decreasing the regulator to 116 bar on my tester was good for 934 peak fps, so I set the HST for 920 fps. That gives a few extra shots after falling off the regulator where it progressively drops velocity down to 905 fps at 107 bar, which is where I set Pmin on the EDMU. Can't verify accuracy right now, it's 25mph winds gusting to 35mph right now... ugh.

Hi Guys:
I am new to the forum and beg forgiveness in my negotiating the web site, can you tell me if the R5M regulator be adjusted without taking the gun apart? I have a R3M shirt but I am only a 5 month owner so don’t know my way around the EDgun completely but side cocking is definitely a sell point for me and has to be backyard quiet.....I want a R5M no doubt.

"HawaiiGuy"Hi Guys:
I am new to the forum and beg forgiveness in my negotiating the web site, can you tell me if the R5M regulator be adjusted without taking the gun apart? I have a R3M shirt but I am only a 5 month owner so don’t know my way around the EDgun completely but side cocking is definitely a sell point for me and has to be backyard quiet.....I want a R5M no doubt.

The regulator on the R5M is not externally adjustable, but it is incredibly easy to access… Brian and Ed both show it on some of their videos.

1. Remove stock (2 screws)

2. Cock the hammer and engage the safety

3. Remove air reservoir/regulator assembly from frame by loosening the wedge screw then sliding the reservoir out of the frame

4. Degas the reservoir with the bleed screw on the valve housing, verify it’s empty by checking the gauge and pressing the valve stem in

5. Unscrew regulator housing from back of reservoir by hand and slide valve and regulator assembly out

That’s it. Then all you do is adjust the regulator and reassemble. It’s literally a 5 minute job to remove the reservoir, adjust the regulator, and reassemble and refill the rifle. Ed made the R5M really, really easy to work on.

Of course, once you’ve adjusted the regulator pressure you should chronograph the rifle and reset the hammer spring tension to about 15fps under the 1st velocity peak for best consistency and air efficiency and to get a few extra shots below the regulator set pressure without a large velocity spike or drop.

The R5M is quieter than my old Edguns because the moderator on the R5M is much larger. The hammer to valve impact happens right by your ear and is somewhat loud if you’re the one shooting the rifle, but to a bystander the hammer slap noise isn’t very loud.