• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

R5M Long gets even quieter!

While cleaning the R5M Long I started to really look at the gargantuan tube used for barrel stretch and stripper venting. I began to recall how I placed sound dampening wool inside my speaker enclosures on my Harley... I thought WTH if it does not work, I will just remove it. I packed the tube with dampening wool by simply feeding it through the vent holes. I packed it spongy tight all but the last 2 inches. All I can say is wow. Huge difference. My neighbor asked if I switched rifles. I understand completely that this sounds somewhat “redneck and foolish”. I am not kidding though. This is the simplest gun to quiet ever.

BTW, I carded the best groups of my life today. My new Edgun beat my built AR at 100.

Joe

1522616726_8554738785ac14996184b26.97244049_9356C158-5CD3-4004-AA2E-3A91AD4EA578.jpeg

Yes sir Joe,.... another accuracy vote for you. Thanks. Just got mine late Friday. Still trying to get the trigger suited to my needs, but otherwise a laser when I pull the trigger right.
Wish I could post pics , but haven't been able to post a single picture since AGN upgraded? Always says "some files have errors....file is not an image" I've even tried to post pics that I've posted before with no luck?

Jimmy

"CampFussell"Yes sir Joe,.... another accuracy vote for you. Thanks. Just got mine late Friday. Still trying to get the trigger suited to my needs, but otherwise a laser when I pull the trigger right.
Wish I could post pics , but haven't been able to post a single picture since AGN upgraded? Always says "some files have errors....file is not an image" I've even tried to post pics that I've posted before with no luck?
Jimmy
Sent a PM that will help on the trigger... and all other metal to metal parts.

"CampFussell"Yes sir Joe,.... another accuracy vote for you. Thanks. Just got mine late Friday. Still trying to get the trigger suited to my needs, but otherwise a laser when I pull the trigger right.
Jimmy
Try again Jimmy!

1522637102_17915743595ac1992e6895e2.71213380_Cool Pix-151.jpg

"JWilson"While cleaning the R5M Long I started to really look at the gargantuan tube used for barrel stretch and stripper venting. I began to recall how I placed sound dampening wool inside my speaker enclosures on my Harley... I thought WTH if it does not work, I will just remove it. I packed the tube with dampening wool by simply feeding it through the vent holes. I packed it spongy tight all but the last 2 inches. All I can say is wow. Huge difference. My neighbor asked if I switched rifles. I understand completely that this sounds somewhat “redneck and foolish”. I am not kidding though. This is the simplest gun to quiet ever.
BTW, I carded the best groups of my life today. My new Edgun beat my built AR at 100.
Joe

Alright, I'll play devils advocate. Some of the most accurate guns use an air stripper, or nothing at all. 

An air stripper deflects the air away from the pellet. In the case of a shroud it deflects the the air back into the shroud. We've all seen that different accessories can change your POI... likely due to turbulence. If you pack the shroud with a dampening material then it could certainly change the shrouds ability to strip the air from in front of & behind the pellet.

So the big question is... will this affect your accuracy?

"Michael"
"JWilson"While cleaning the R5M Long I started to really look at the gargantuan tube used for barrel stretch and stripper venting. I began to recall how I placed sound dampening wool inside my speaker enclosures on my Harley... I thought WTH if it does not work, I will just remove it. I packed the tube with dampening wool by simply feeding it through the vent holes. I packed it spongy tight all but the last 2 inches. All I can say is wow. Huge difference. My neighbor asked if I switched rifles. I understand completely that this sounds somewhat “redneck and foolish”. I am not kidding though. This is the simplest gun to quiet ever.
Joe

Alright, I'll play devils advocate. Some of the most accurate guns use an air stripper, or nothing at all. 
An air stripper deflects the air away from the pellet. In the case of a shroud it deflects the the air back into the shroud. We've all seen that different accessories can change your POI... likely due to turbulence. If you pack the shroud with a dampening material then it could certainly change the shrouds ability to strip the air from in front of & behind the pellet.
Fair question. We’ll have to wait for someone with a great reputation and who does scope cam videos to try it and answer. I can only tell you my rifle is shooting Better than any I have shot. I’m not removing the packing. I predict someone will develop a dampening insert for the R5 series longs and super longs.

"Michael"
Joe

This is a great point. The design of Ed's system here strips air to the rear chamber and exhausts it out through ports there. Seems to me the added material will hinder this stripping ability. 

If you guys look at lots of pictures you will see that not all guns... even EDguns... have a vent tube behind the stripper. Lots of real great guys with lots of information and knowledge on this site. My personal experience with this gun tells me that the sound can be even further reduced and absolutely not affect accuracy. There was no change in POI either. It is not a permanent mod and I don’t care if anyone tries it or not. I still predict someone will develop an aftermarket system. I just think the wool is real cheap and simple.

It might work on the extended Leshiy too :) I don’t have one of those to test though.