• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning R11(HW98) Piston Problem

I have a R11 that I bought new in 2005. I purchased it to use it as a "practice gun" as I was into powder burning bench rest competition at the time. Turns out it wasn't good for my intended purpose, so it has spend almost 20 years in my gun safe. Maybe has had 1 tin of JSB 8.44s shot through it. Currently it averages 761fps with the 8.44s.
Since I'm planning on shooting it a lot in the future, this morning I disassembled it to lubricate the spring and seal expecting to see lots of dried up grease but to my surprise it was in really good shape to have sat for almost 20 years.
Here's the problem.......where the cocking shoe rides on the piston there appears to be metal "crunched up" at the upper end.....see pictures.
It's appears to have been this way since new and it hasn't caused any operational problems that I have seen or felt.
If some of you experienced guys would take a look I would really appreciate it. Wondering if I could just "hammer" down the crinkled up metal so the cocking shoe could travel all the way up? Do I need to try to find another piston assembly?
Again, the gun cocks and shoots fine.
I did order a Vortek PG4 kit to install while I have the gun disassembled.

R11 1.jpg

R11 2.jpg

R11 3.jpg

Reactions: .20calguy
That old style shoe is known to grind.. thetes a few threads around on it . Search 98 cocking shoe and review the new style replacement if you think nessary.

That slit in the liner sleave happens but fro me the spring may of broke and that sharp edge digs in and cuts it i just " fix" it back and reuse ..
( My r9/hw95)
r9 piston quality .jpg
r9quailityspring.jpg

P.s..
That sleeve just pulls out of the inside of the piston grab it with somthing and wiggle and pull gently. It will start to slide out.

I think thr 95 and 98 take the same if you cant beat it back good enough..

Last edited:
It looks to be the piston liner that has folded at the front. There are a number of cuts in the liner to allow it to be rolled into a tube and one of those has folded up. You can (with some effort) remove the liner and bend it back into shape and reinstall or purchase a new liner. If you get a Vortek kit those liners usually need to be removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: longdog
That old style shoe is known to grind.. thetes a few threads around on it . Search 98 cocking shoe and review the new style replacement if you think nessary.

That slit in the liner sleave happens but fro me the spring may of broke and that sharp edge digs in and cuts it i just " fix" it back and reuse ..
( My r9/hw95)
View attachment 371611
View attachment 371612

P.s..
That sleeve just pulls out of the inside of the piston grab it with somthing and wiggle and pull gently. It will start to slide out.

( My r9/hw95)
View attachment 371611
View attachment 371612

P.s..

The spring that's currently on it is in great shape.
Thanks for the link....I went ahead and ordered the liner. I'll return it if I don't need the liner with the Vortek tune kit that I have coming.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Ive not used vortek just arh stuff. But that looks easy to straighten . That one i just did and going strong today 2 springs later.

Keep us posted and some end results . 👍

For fun..

Last edited:
Reactions: longdog
Pa is on the ball i linked the sleeve there were 3 now theres 2 available.😉

Same part from pa 9148/95
Out of stock it shows me.. i imagine by the time you pay shipping and all pa price is in a few bucks anyway. And if he dont need it he can easy return it from pa.
Yep, that one is headed my way ;)

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
so, i look to the UK for parts and Germany and i live in Washington state
why because they list them with pictures and are easy to find
you have 3 Choices in the UK Chambers, John Knibbs and Protek
all have great service, there prices are fair and their shipping is not out of line and also you can see what the prices are
shipping time can be very good
now this piston liner is listed at 2 of those dealer Both Knibbs which is out of stock and Protek which has them listed
Knibbs price was 12 pounds or $15.45
Protek price is 9.60 pounds or $12.36
PA price is $32.49
now there something wrong there
i checked Waffencenter and it was not listed and the shipping out of Germany is 57 euro to start ouch

now my point is if you need a part and nothing else find something that you can or could use and make your money work for you
see if a friend needs anything and piggyback an order
and if you have deep pockets you more than likely do not care but not all of have deep pocket
for those who do know these places this is not for you but those who don't shop around

all i have even if you do not buy anything from the UK use their sites as a tool to help you also you are looking at an older gun see if there are parts before you buy it and find out you now own and paper weight or wall hanger

so, i look to the UK for parts and Germany and i live in Washington state
why because they list them with pictures and are easy to find
you have 3 Choices in the UK Chambers, John Knibbs and Protek
all have great service, there prices are fair and their shipping is not out of line and also you can see what the prices are
shipping time can be very good
now this piston liner is listed at 2 of those dealer Both Knibbs which is out of stock and Protek which has them listed
Knibbs price was 12 pounds or $15.45
Protek price is 9.60 pounds or $12.36
PA price is $32.49
now there something wrong there
i checked Waffencenter and it was not listed and the shipping out of Germany is 57 euro to start ouch

now my point is if you need a part and nothing else find something that you can or could use and make your money work for you
see if a friend needs anything and piggyback an order
and if you have deep pockets you more than likely do not care but not all of have deep pocket
for those who do know these places this is not for you but those who don't shop around

all i have even if you do not buy anything from the UK use their sites as a tool to help you also you are looking at an older gun see if there are parts before you buy it and find out you now own and paper weight or wall hanger
I guess you could call AoA and see if they had it and price. Then with all the oit of stocks maybe dont look a horse in the mouth + if he dont use its easy return.. lot of stuff has went out of stock or stupidly priced or pricing making you think if its worth it or not. Like having to go overseas to get a simple part.

Ive said this alot. Amazing how much you can get overseas vs here. You know the usa. The piller of free trade, worlds strongest economy, cornerstone of capitalism, bla, bla, bla... We got it soooo good..( till you need somthing)

You may want to change the cocking shoe out for the newer style that has slots on the side which I believe assists with aligning the cocking cycle. I put an ARH kit with a Vortek seal using Krytox GPL-205 lube in my HW95L .22 after a through clean/polish. The cocking cycle is absolutely soundless until the piston latches in the trigger now. My FPE averages about 17 after several K shots. Good luck and a note on the piston liner which is a rolled up thin sheet of steel that can be removed by slowly/gently pulling with a pair of longnose. You may have already removed it. New style cocking shoe.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

Thanks Deerstalker.
Yes, I removed the thin sheet metal and was able to carefully straighten it so the shoes slides smoothly from one end to the other. I did order new sheet metal though just in case.
Their new style cocking shoe is out of stock….I’ll try to find one.
Vortek tune kit and seals should be here Friday…..think I can install it without a spring compressor, we shall see?
I can use all of the tips and suggestions I can get! This is the first break barrel that I’ve had apart.

Last edited: