HW/Weihrauch R1/springer Ringing noise?

OK here's the ringing sound I was talking about. The gun has always made this ringing noise. I initially thought it was from being overspung but the gun is only making about 16 fpe and still ringing. Any ideas??

some small spring , maybe in the trigger group ? had to turn my PC vol up loud and wear full ear cover head phones .

Reactions: Bandito
Hey Bayman,
First of all, my high-frequency hearing range is gone .......... so I can't hear it.
- Is this sound new ....... as you've had the gun for awhile?

Early PCP's I shot made a "ping" sound (air cylinder vibration) from the hammer hitting the valve. A tight piece of plastic or regulator in the air cylinder deadened/solved the ringing tone. Maybe your piston thumping the receiver could create a ringing noise.

Maybe the cocking lever is ringing out like a tuning fork?

Do you have a plastic sleeve around the mainspring inside the piston?

These are my guesses:cautious:, I don't think the trigger assembly/housing is ringing ..............

To best of my knowledge the gun has always had this ring. I'll try shooting it with my finger on the cocking rod to dampen any vibration there.

There's no plastic piston liner in this gun because it's got a PG4 kit in it.

I wonder if it's the steel sleeve on the PG4 kit? I have a JM kit I could put in it and see the sound changes. I've put steel PG kits in other R1s that didn't ring like this.

I wish I had another piston or comp tube to try. I'm inclined to think it's one of the two. I'm learning more towards the comp tube.

I would think that it is resonance in the main spring, at least that is what think I am hearing in the video?
Then again, it could be the piston. Is the piston buttoned or glided in any way? The rear end of the piston may be resonating post shot cycle.

No solutions to offer that you have not covered. I will be interested to hear what you find to be the cause.

I have experienced the same ping. It wasn’t a scope on mine. It was a Hatsan springer that I made a sleeve for out of an aluminum can. Only material thin enough to get in between the piston interior and the spring. It had a nasty twang and this aluminum liner solved the twang but left a slight ping. I would conclude it’s the steel PG4 liner. Another reason to make you a fan of it.

I have experienced the same ping. It wasn’t a scope on mine. It was a Hatsan springer that I made a sleeve for out of an aluminum can. Only material thin enough to get in between the piston interior and the spring. It had a nasty twang and this aluminum liner solved the twang but left a slight ping. I would conclude it’s the steel PG4 liner. Another reason to make you a fan of it.
Thanks. There's no twang but there's lots of PING noise to it. It almost feels as if it's bypassing pressure or the TP is too large. The piston holds pressure or vacuum at any point in the stroke, so the tube isn't leaking. The TP hasn't been modified either. This gun has been my nemesis since I bought it.
I would think that it is resonance in the main spring, at least that is what think I am hearing in the video?
Then again, it could be the piston. Is the piston buttoned or glided in any way? The rear end of the piston may be resonating post shot cycle.

No solutions to offer that you have not covered. I will be interested to hear what you find to be the cause.
Thanks the piston isn't buttoned or glided.

When I get the ambition, I'll swap out the Vortek kit for the JM kit and see if there's a change in sound. I'm frustrated with it enough today.

Thanks all
Ron

I'm pretty sure I found the noise. I removed the Vortek kit, inspected the comp tube and piston seal for damage and installed an ARH spring kit with the OE piston liner. Test fired without a scope and the gun sounds normal now. Ten shot string of 5.53 FTTs, 735 fps ES 12 and SD 3. That's 17.58 fpe. That's about what I remember that kit doing last time.

Assuming the noise doesn't return I'd have to think the noise was from the Vortek steel outer guide resonance. I have to do some more testing with a scope on it.

Reactions: fishing43
It looks I'm out of the woods with this thing. I scoped it and shot it a bunch yesterday. The noise didn't return. It's a much more enjoyable gun now. Besides losing the annoying ping noise, it cocks and shoots noticeably smoother. I couldn't check if the accuracy changed as the winds were strong, gusting and from random directions. Accuracy testing will probably have to wait a few days as the weather isn't looking good the next few days.

It's still not a powerful as I'd like but as long as it's accurate I'll be ok with keeping the rifle this way. It's a much nicer gun than it was before. I'm glad I hung on to that JM kit.

Were you running the Vortek kit dry, or with minimal lube? I seem to recall you relating that you don't like the grease gun approach.

It seems that they expect the end user to use some tar to dampen things down with the metal sleeves, and then you deal with what what that entails. Using a smidgen of tar here and there is one thing, but I do not really care for the 'pack it in there' approach.

Anyways, issue diagnosed and cured, and all is happy again! Great news.

Were you running the Vortek kit dry, or with minimal lube? I seem to recall you relating that you don't like the grease gun approach.

It seems that they expect the end user to use some tar to dampen things down with the metal sleeves, and then you deal with what what that entails. Using a smidgen of tar here and there is one thing, but I do not really care for the 'pack it in there' approach.

Anyways, issue diagnosed and cured, and all is happy again! Great news.
Thanks Chuck. You are right. I typically use the least amount of grease possible. I usually use the tan grease that used to come with the Vortek kits. I've tried Almagard 3752 which is a red very thick sticky grease for guns that still have remnants of twang after kitted. Tar is my last resort. The more red grease and tar used the slower the gun shoots. It usually helps calm the twang but I've had issues where it doesn't last long and the twang comes back after a few tins or when the gun gets warm. Or it slings off, overloads the seal and diesels badly. For those two reasons I don't promote"lube tunes". I also use Krytox on guns with compromised compression tubes to prevent dieseling.

Back to the R1, this gun has been apart way too many times and it's seen varying degrees of all the mentioned lubricants. It's always made this noise with the Vortek kit. I first ran this JM kit for a couple thousand pellets and removed it because I was unhappy with the output and made a click sound during cocking. I then went to a deliberately oversprung PG4 kit in my stupid search of power. The same kit has been in there with a couple of spring lengths and several different lubricants for the last three or so years. It's always made that ping noise but I associated it with being oversprung. I know now that wasn't the case that I recently reduced that spring to HW95 levels. Tar might eliminate the ping noise at that power level but for now the JM kit is working very nicely at a little more power.