Beeman R1 Compression tube seam variation.

I recently purchased a Santa Rosa .20 R1 Carbine that has a chamfered front compression tube cap seam rather than the usual attempt at hiding the seam. Both the tube and the end cap are chamfered and obviously the seam was not meant to be hidden and is almost ornamental. The serial number is 1098xxx. I noticed the same seam on member SteveP-52s recently acquired R1 Laser and contacted him, his serial number is 1238xxx. I am going to guess this style seam was a temporary production variation as later versions went back to the hidden seam. So check your R1 and let’s see those seams.

IMG_4886.jpeg

IMG_1267.jpeg

IMG_4887.jpeg

Last edited:
If I was a betting man, id say it’s been silvered soldered like the Hw 35. and that’s the seep joint and the the clean up pass ..The new ones I’d say are a heat induction spin weld

I do not think HW threaded the forks on like Webley did ..
Great answer and I would jump on that bet. Now let’s see how many are out there. I have not found it on any San Rafael R1s, not to say none had this seam but it definitely was not an early production thing. Perhaps a second supplier?

I have R1's from San Rafael, Santa Rosa and Huntington Beach. I've been looking at R1's since they first appeared in Beeman catalogs. I've never seen that groove around the front of an R1.
This would be the third out of the norm Weihrauch gun I have bought in the last couple of years. There are variations hiding in plain sight.

Reactions: bf1956
As mentioned by @rokonman, the R1 Laser .20 I recently managed to snag for myself and with that seam. Santa Rosa address, serial number by the Weihrauch database says built between 1990-1991.
Wasn't something I even noticed to be honest until he sent me a PM to ask about it.
R1 .20 breech 1.jpgR1 .20 breech 2.jpg
I'll even toss him another curve since after taking a look, that same seam is on the front of the Beeman R8 .177 I just got from AoA not too long ago. Build date for that one is 1983.
Beeman R8-12 seam 1.jpgBeeman R8-13 seam 2.jpg
Fire away since I'm now very curious about the rifles I own and getting to learn a thing or 3 I didn't know about them.

Reactions: rokonman
I just looked at my 12 R1's and found none had that seam flaw.
It is not a flaw,I have an R8 with that same FLAW.
As mentioned by @rokonman, the R1 Laser .20 I recently managed to snag for myself and with that seam. Santa Rosa address, serial number by the Weihrauch database says built between 1990-1991.
Wasn't something I even noticed to be honest until he sent me a PM to ask about it.
View attachment 444483View attachment 444484
I'll even toss him another curve since after taking a look, that same seam is on the front of the Beeman R8 .177 I just got from AoA not too long ago. Build date for that one is 1983.
View attachment 444491View attachment 444492
Fire away since I'm now very curious about the rifles I own and getting to learn a thing or 3 I didn't know about them.
Have 2 R8s 1 with the Marksman groove

Here’s a couple stolen HW35 photos. I think A.G.R. nailed it, It is a completely different manufacturing process.

View attachment 444367

View attachment 444368
I can bet they were soldered ..it’s exactly like the PRO Elite ..
if you search ,you will find they WIERAUCH PURCHASED A company making a few guns. Mainly a 85 mm x25 /26 mm tubed gun. Its how the Hw 85 was developed. It was not a HW DESIGN .
I would imagine use them if you have them ideal.

I can bet they were soldered ..it’s exactly like the PRO Elite ..
if you search ,you will find they WIERAUCH PURCHASED A company making a few guns. Mainly a 85 mm x25 /26 mm tubed gun. Its how the Hw 85 was developed. It was not a HW DESIGN .
I would imagine use them if you have them ideal.
BSF as I recall. I have always thought of the R9/HW95 as more BSF than Weihrauch in design.

When Weihrauch started the Marksman brand in the old BSF plant they were attempting to market a cheaper version of the Weihrauch brand. I remember seeing this groove on some Marksman models. I wonder if Weihrauch occasionally used parts when they had to much demand to fill.
Perhaps farming out some compression tube production to the newly acquired BSF plant/tooling to meet demand or just using the BSF equipment that they now owned to up production. The timing of Weihrauch purchasing BSF would coincide with the Beeman Santa Rosa era.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling