• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

R U using Accu Tac?

View attachment 370729
I was hoping that I could lock the cant, but still move vertically and pan from the base. I haven’t been able to make it work for me, though I haven’t given it much chance beyond initial frustration …
Scotty- I use the MH-60 ball head like that shown in your pic(yours might be a MH-40), but at RMAC when setting up, once I see my cant level bubbles all good(two levels on my set up), I lock it down. My side to side/up/down is with the saber tactical rear monopod. Once locked, I never had to worry about canting.

I guess in a benchrest situation it works, but to set up a tripod full height from the ground for a hunt where the panning over uneven ground will change the cant, we’ll yeah I can see that happening.

But that’s what’s great about the MH series of ballhead with the motorcycle adjustment handle. You should be able to loosen, tilt or pan, and lock the handle down quick like

I've got two. The BR4 and the wide base 4. As long as you are using them at a 45* angle they are decent BUT if you use them @90* to your gun (vertical) then there is too much fore and aft slop in them IME, especially at the price point they sell for. If you use them vertically then its a MUST that you forward press or preload them to take out the slop. For optimal accuracy this is very hard to do and maintain consistency in pressure from shot to shot.

I've got two. The BR4 and the wide base 4. As long as you are using them at a 45* angle they are decent BUT if you use them @90* to your gun (vertical) then there is too much fore and aft slop in them IME, especially at the price point they sell for. If you use them vertically then its a MUST that you forward press or preload them to take out the slop. For optimal accuracy this is very hard to do and maintain consistency in pressure from shot to shot.
I'm not sure that I would consider that a criticism of the bipod. The geometry of a 90 degree support is going to be more sensitive to any slight external pressure, since it doesn't allow the weight of the rifle to add much stability.

Reactions: Dairyboy