• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

R-9 Barrel swap

im putting a Vortek kit in my R-9. I would like to change the barrel to a .22 Cal but when I read the description on the pyramid air sight, somebody there says the .22 barrel will not work on my .17 R9.is this right and if so is there a difference in the transfer port size. I thought it would be a 120.00 easy swap ? Can anybody shed some here please.

thanks,
Bob

LOL....no problem swapping different cal R9/HW95 barrels as long as you can also swap the cocking lever or have a barrel with the cocking lever already attached. Years ago I even bought a .22 cal R1 barrel then had it chopped & choked for my R9. Worked a treat, however I didn't like the loopy trajectory a .20 (had one of those too) and .22 cal pellet gave me at R9 power levels. Matter of fact, I ended up selling both the .20 & .22 cal barrels reverting back to .177 cal never to look back.

If you do need to swap a cocking lever from one barrel to the other I found a relatively easy way to do it. I bought this "chain breaker" from Harbor Freight to press out the existing cocking lever rivet.........
https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-chain-breaker-66488.html

After pressing out the cocking lever rivet from the barrel assembly and swapping the lever to another barrel I reuse the same rivet and re-flare the rivet ends after installation. To re-flare the rivet ends I attach a 1/4" diameter ball bearing to each end of the rivet with some "goop". I like a dab of silicone rubber but even thick grease will hold the bearings in place. The bearing/rivet/bearing sandwich is then "squished" in a vise just enough so the rivet doesn't back out with use. Then clean off the goop used to temporarily hold the bearings in place. The bearings only need to be "flared out a bit",

Pressing out the rivet from a R9 barrel assembly...........
nmzZkBUl.jpg