• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

R-7 first kill

I remember my first air rifle, I was about seven yrs. old (big for my age), it was Christmas morning, Santa left me a Daisy mod. 25 BB gun, it was a bear to load but I eventually got the hang of it, we lived in a small rural town and our house abutted some hay fields and a great deal of woods, during the summer months you couldn't walk anywhere near without raising a bunch of grasshoppers, I mean huge grasshoppers, like with five inch wingspans, it didn't take long for me to get good at wing shooting them.
Those couple of years before getting my first .22RF single shot rifle (an Iver Johnson) with that Daisy BB gun were great practice for small game hunting that would help stretch the family food budget, my parents, grandparents, and my uncle and aunt all went through the great depression and through the rationing and shortages of WW-2, we had a big victory garden like most folks in our area but it was still hard for some families to get by in the late '40's and early '50's.
Today the area has changed, gone are the fields of hay, the big gardens, and much of the woods that I once hunted have been replaced with housing developments and new businesses, and with them went those big grasshoppers.
And now after a life time of powder burners I'm back to shooting air rifles in my backyard, it's true what they say "the more things change, the more they stay the same, I also have changed, I no longer shoot at those little creatures, I guess you could say that I've come to grips with my own mortality, they are just doing what God designed them to do, every one of them keeps nature in balance in their own way, now I just enjoy them and let them be, there are plenty of novelty targets to practice on without shooting at live critters.
Not finding fault, just saying what works for me.

I remember my first air rifle, I was about seven yrs. old (big for my age), it was Christmas morning, Santa left me a Daisy mod. 25 BB gun, it was a bear to load but I eventually got the hang of it, we lived in a small rural town and our house abutted some hay fields and a great deal of woods, during the summer months you couldn't walk anywhere near without raising a bunch of grasshoppers, I mean huge grasshoppers, like with five inch wingspans, it didn't take long for me to get good at wing shooting them.
Those couple of years before getting my first .22RF single shot rifle (an Iver Johnson) with that Daisy BB gun were great practice for small game hunting that would help stretch the family food budget, my parents, grandparents, and my uncle and aunt all went through the great depression and through the rationing and shortages of WW-2, we had a big victory garden like most folks in our area but it was still hard for some families to get by in the late '40's and early '50's.
Today the area has changed, gone are the fields of hay, the big gardens, and much of the woods that I once hunted have been replaced with housing developments and new businesses, and with them went those big grasshoppers.
And now after a life time of powder burners I'm back to shooting air rifles in my backyard, it's true what they say "the more things change, the more they stay the same, I also have changed, I no longer shoot at those little creatures, I guess you could say that I've come to grips with my own mortality, they are just doing what God designed them to do, every one of them keeps nature in balance in their own way, now I just enjoy them and let them be, there are plenty of novelty targets to practice on without shooting at live critters.
Not finding fault, just saying what works for me.
It was my grasshopper hunt and I neglected to mention in initial post that I stepped on 3 ants, swatted 6 house flies while trying to enjoy my coffee as I was sitting on my patio watching the birds eating from the feeders. Great ending to a grasshopper safari.

It was my grasshopper hunt and I neglected to mention in initial post that I stepped on 3 ants, swatted 6 house flies while trying to enjoy my coffee as I was sitting on my patio watching the birds eating from the feeders. Great ending to a grasshopper safari.
I've hunted all over the North East and down into middle America for all kinds of edible game over the last sixty some odd years, but I do believe that the hunts I enjoyed the most were those grasshopper hunts with my Daisy mod 25 BB gun and my hunts for squirrel in the hardwoods in back of our home as a kid with the old used up Iver Johnson .22RF single shot rifle that my dad gave me, I have no idea where he got it but we didn't have much money so I'm guessing he traded something for it, it was pretty well worn, there was no more finish left on the stock, the bore was clean but the barrel had allot of outside pitting, and it had no front sight, my dad made a sight blade for it out of copper sheeting and soldered it on the end of the muzzle, it lasted through a few boxes of ammo and then fell off, so I learned to shoot it pretty accurately without a front sight, Kids can overcome allot of stuff that would bother the hell out of adults.

Shooting rats and pigeons with a pumper or a springer were my favorite hunts. Wish I had large grasshoppers. Even liked those hunts better than deer hunting.
Guess I’m old but I enjoy squirrel hunting more than deer hunting. Our archery season opened 2 days ago and I haven’t thought of going, enjoy the simplicity of squirrel hunting. And it depends on my mood or something like that lol if I grab a springer or pcp.