• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Quite backyard pcp rifles

Greetings,

I had to take a few months off of backyard target practice after I pissed off one of my neighbors shooting my airbow.... They called the cops on me and everything....

Now that that has hopefully cooled off I want to get back into it. I probably won't shoot my airbow here anymore so got looking at suppressed 22/25 cal air rifles. My budget it like 300-400 for the rifle and maybe 100 in accessories

The rifle that has been on my list the longest is the air venturi avenger, curious how quite I can get it with one of the donny suppressors?

I also found and like the look of the hatsun flash qe, but in one of the videos it says it's 90decibles a shot and that might be to loud...

The internet says the Benjamin murader is pretty quite?

Does any one have any recommendations?

If it is just back yard, i see no reason to go .22 or .25, a .177 will be just fine, but either of them the pellet landing will by far be the loudest part of the process.
So you might want to consider a quiet pellet trap, rubber mulch seem to be very good at this.

I am locked to .177 myself but with a moderator the mechanical sounds of the rifles are almost more than the pellet / slug leaving the barrel, probably due to your ear are right there next to the mechanics.

If everything hum like it is supposed to do, shooting 1" groups around 100 yards are not a big problem,

O i am of course using moderators here too, my vulcan 3 have one build in so it dont really need a moderator, putting one on it like i do anyway dont really make it more quiet.

My one moderator are a Finnish one, it is actually made for powder burners so it could be used on a rimfire rifle or .17 HMR
The other one is a Huma one, it is modular but the compact one i have consisting of the starting section and then 2 other sections are just fine, removing 1 section of it which i have tried for the hell of it, do make things louder but it is still quite fine VS have nothing there.

I am thinking if i get a pistol i would use the Huma moderator in that way there.
We / i am shooting at my friends farm, so not really any noise issues at all, but we still use moderators.

I’ll tell ya what, this DAR gen 3 is sub $300 regulated, Spits Rifle Slug series 18.21gr slugs 1/2” maybe sub 1/2” I didnt actually measure @ 45yds, that group is a whole mag (10rds) damn near single hole… comes with a threaded barrel, no adapter needed, & from the factory is just as quiet or even quieter than my Armada which is SUPER QUIET.. I don’t have enough good things to say about this rifle, absolutely the most gun you are going to get for the $$ Regulated, side lever (very smooth) Nice wood stock, super nice trigger for a factory trigger on a $299 rifle, I’ve had many $500+ guns that couldn’t hold a candle to this.. Reguardless of what you go for, I hope ya get something that suits what you’re lookin for! This is just my $0.02 lol Have a great weekend!

IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9862.jpeg

IMG_0081.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings,

I had to take a few months off of backyard target practice after I pissed off one of my neighbors shooting my airbow.... They called the cops on me and everything....

Now that that has hopefully cooled off I want to get back into it. I probably won't shoot my airbow here anymore so got looking at suppressed 22/25 cal air rifles. My budget it like 300-400 for the rifle and maybe 100 in accessories

The rifle that has been on my list the longest is the air venturi avenger, curious how quite I can get it with one of the donny suppressors?

I also found and like the look of the hatsun flash qe, but in one of the videos it says it's 90decibles a shot and that might be to loud...

The internet says the Benjamin murader is pretty quite?

Does any one have any recommendations?
at your price point you will be hard pressed to get an air rifle that's below 74 DB it will generally take both a shrouded barrel AND a moderator. And be tuned to less than <20 fpe. more power = more air escaping = more noise.
These are the three quietest air rifles on the planet - you hear only the sear breaking on the trigger and the sound of lead on paper.. your target choice is also a factor.
Brocock CMDR XR
my AZ anschutz 8002 - so quiet ya think it's broken
my BSA goldstar SE with the huma shroud.
My recommendation is save your moolah and get a quality shrouded gun you can put a moderator on - a moderator alone will probably not be enough to keep the neighbors from noticing.
IMG_6835.jpeg

IMG_7010.jpeg
IMG_6829.jpeg

Indeed tuning down to low power, you will still have supreme accuracy at least at ranges for Danish sized back yards / gardens, and little gnats / flies landing on your paper will still very much be in danger of turning into a mist behind a hole in the paper.

Actually i like to put apples ASO out in the field at my friends place, at ranges around 30 - 50 yards, and then pick flies and what land on it off one by one.
Also the cardboard i use for backing to my 2" splatter targets, well it too get doused in sugar water ( soda pop ) to attract flies, but so far at 92 yards i have just shot 1 fly. CUZ that is like hitting the hole you just made in the paper 1 more time, but i or my Maverick rifle are not that accurate to be able to do that at will.
But scaring the living poop out of flies, that i do in every shot, though some times the thing do not care a hole the size of itself just appeared 1 body length from it.
Those " brave " flies i appreciate very much CUZ then i dont have to wait a few seconds before it or a friend land elsewhere on my paper.

Full power .177 with a moderator are also still very quiet, but going lower power if you dont have to shoot very far, also a good idea if you have neighbour challenges.
Low power do not mean less accuracy, absolutely not. big power is only needed for big range or heavy pellet / slug smacking power.

Also in .177 and lighter than 13 grain, you get 400 pellets / slugs in a tin, going up in weight there or in say .22 and suddenly you only get 300 or 250 pellets / slugs in a tin.

If you only shoot like 50 yards or there about, i would focus on pellets, they can deliver pin point accuracy at those ranges.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulzchaos
Youtube is your friend. These are new and I have only heard good things about them. Might be worth a look.

Not to facilitate illegal activity, but, if you are just looking for a quiet rifle you will be hard pressed to beat a Marauder in .177 and with a moderator added it will be nearly silent. The majority of the noise at that point will be the hammer striker hitting the valve pin. Use a PEEK striker to get rid of the metallic clack. And as well, once you get the rifle tuned out like you want, you can shove a foam ear plug up into the hammer spring to stop the hammer spring twang. The rubber sleeve depinger that comes installed in the rifles now does work but I found a 1.25 inches nylon bottle brush to be somewhat more effective at eliminating entirely the ping. That is if silence is really golden.

Last edited:
Power equals noise. I have tuned down my .177 HW100 to sub 12 fpe and it is darn near silent. It still has squirrel killing performance out to my maximum yard range of 30 yards or a bit more. I'm not sure what is available within your budget at the lower power levels, but you might want to consider them. IMO the US market has really ruined the enjoyment of some great traditional air rifles by demanding more power.

Reactions: Peashooter
In my country, a country obsessed with rules law making and breaking, in regard to shooting a air rifle or pistol in your own garden the rules are astonishingly simple.

You of course have to make sure your pellets can not hit / damage / enter other peoples property or possessions, and that is about it o_O
And this dont even mean you have to build a 16 foot tall concrete wall behind your target, it is pretty much just common snese and due diligence, two things that otherwise almost dont exist here as all angles are covered by law making and a nanny state.
For this place that is way past astonishing simple, no permissions, no inspections , no taxes, no constantly changing rules, and no gooberment database involved.

Of course we have a directive for general order here saying you can not be loud ASO though you are generally allowed to ´make noise until 8 in the evening as i recall, so a moderator which are also legal now is probably a good idea, also one should endeavour to be on good terms with ones neighbours, but we also all know the A-hole factor is always there, but the good guy rise above such things.

Europe is not America and the realities of the two markets are vastly different. Especially west of the Mississippi. Fly over country, 12 fpe, is that a joke!

There is no rifle that is silent enough to support shooting air rifles where air rifles are illegal. Even at an anemic 12 fpe. The reality here is to move to outside the city limits or away from whatever is restricting your shooting activities. Which in North America is much easier to do than in Europe. Noise is not the only issue, bad things happen and a pellet can stray off to some place it does not belong, even at 12 fpe. If the complaining neighbor is upset by a little noise, imagine what a pellet will do to their karma if it is found stuck in the bumper of their Telsa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolhand