Quieting the FX Crown even more

Here is my 22 Crown without the shroud. A DIY LCD with carbon fibre wrapped over an airsoft moderator. I got better POI than with the shroud on. Very quiet for an FAC.

1543714635_17104342515c03374b1a7076.48419640_A801729C-7C46-4758-B169-89F939008400.jpeg

Bob, does this make the barrel more flexible without the support of the shroud?

The shroud on the Crown is supported by the barrel, not the other way around, so it should be better, all else being equal.

My shroud caused a relative loss of accuracy regardless of configuration, so I removed it altogether and put a Weihrauch on the end. Just as quiet as with the Weihrauch attached to the Donnyfl adapter on the shroud itself, so I'm losing nothing. The looks are a personal thing I guess but I like it. I also removed the bit that Bob left on near the action so no naked threads are there to look unfinished or get damaged.

Matt Dubber has done the same on his Crown with a Huggett now. You can see it on that recent collaboration with Air Hunters

Funny this thread was brought back up. I've actually been beavering away at this exact problem, trying to make a Crown-specific moderator as light weight and as quiet as possible. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-bespoke-moderator-tesla-gas-diode/

1545083732_17565529285c181b5436ad09.21990175_IMG_20181009_165317384EDITEDB&W.jpg

Name of the game is only adding 120mm in length and less than 64 grams of weight. So far one of the guys who got one compared it to a couple other designs and says it is louder than his Neil Clague which is about twice the length, and that it is as quiet as a DonnyFL SUMO. And he has the first gen design, where subsequent gens are considerably quieter. *shrug* Always working on making it better, I'll probably have more tests up early in the new hear hopefully? 

There are many theories out there on what works and what doesn't and there is certainly no shortages of opinions on this subject on this forum. All I can say is from my own experience in designing and making several moderators. Using a sound absorbing material in the moderator makes NO difference in sound level. I have used many baffle shapes and they all work with very little difference between the different designs in sound level. I now use conical baffles exclusively with the cone facing the muzzle. Bleed holes either in the shroud or internally in the moderator does not reduce the sound level. It actually makes it louder. What does make a difference is volume. The greater the moderator volume the quieter it is. When it comes to baffle count, anything more than 3 (4 expansion chambers) has diminishing returns. When it comes to weight, lighter is better of course but not in sound level. My Crown moderator is 350 grams made out of aluminum. That weight causes a 3cm poi change at 20 yds. via barrel droop. If I had made it out of CF, I probably could get the weight down to 200+ grams. The droop causes no change in accuracy. The size of the through hole is also not critical in sound reduction. It doesn't have to be very tight. I use about .020" or a half mm clearance, but it can be even more without any perceivable sound increase.

If you think about what a moderator does, it is a translator. It translates a high pressure, high velocity pulse of air to a low pressure low speed pulse of air. It does this via generated turbulence. This induced turbulence impedes the column of air in front of the pellet as well as the driving air behind it. The moderator has no way to discriminate between the two. This turbulence does attenuate the pellet velocity achieved a bit. My last moderator (25 cal.) changed the end velocity from 940 to 900 ft/sc.

Using a sound absorbing material in the moderator makes NO difference in sound level. I have used many baffle shapes and they all work with very little difference between the different designs in sound level. 

If you think about what a moderator does, it is a translator. It translates a high pressure, high velocity pulse of air to a low pressure low speed pulse of air. It does this via generated turbulence. This induced turbulence impedes the column of air in front of the pellet as well as the driving air behind it. The moderator has no way to discriminate between the two. This turbulence does attenuate the pellet velocity achieved a bit. My last moderator (25 cal.) changed the end velocity from 940 to 900 ft/sc.

A couple things I want to highlight here. First is I've done a fair bit of testing, and not with some cellphone app or cheap-o sound meter, to scientifically compare airgun moderators of identical external size. This includes back-to-back tests on several moderator designs where the ONLY thing changed was the sound absorbing material, it was otherwise cut to identical size, shape, and thickness. The difference in performance was about 10%, some designs more some designs less. Either way, it was a far cry from "NO difference." 
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-bespoke-moderator-tesla-gas-diode/page/3/#post-398384

As far as differing baffle shapes go, again I've done a series of tests on this, all with an identical size design, just changing baffle shapes. The conical baffle design wasn't a bad performer by any stretch, but was significantly outperformed by both the gas diode design and the foam fill design. 
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-bespoke-moderator-tesla-gas-diode/page/2/#post-381182

As far as a moderator necessarily reducing velocity, this is far from the case. In firearms, suppressors (which work largely on the same principles) are seen as largely increasing velocity, which they do. In the case of airguns, what sort of velocity change, up or down, you'll see really depends a lot on the design of the moderator as well as your gun. The pellet will be traveling nearly as fast as the pressure wave which limits the ability of air to "pile up" ahead of it. Obviously some certainly can and will, so how effectively the design strips that air off the pellet will be a factor. Another factor will be how good the gas seal in your barrel is, because the less air escaping ahead of the pellet, the less pressure it'll have to push its way through. Sadly I don't have a big pile of data on this subject to quickly reference to compare different designs, but saying that freebore boost is a firearm-silencer-only phenomenon I'm not confident is true.

Reactions: Macros