Quieting down the Yong Heng

I have owned my Yong Heng for about a year and it has been working flawlessly. If there is anything I can complain about it, it is the noise level which is rather high for my neighbors so I decided to do something about it.

I have learnt from this forum that quite a big part of the noise comes from the air intake so my solution is to add a muffler. There are commercially available mufflers but I doubt if they will do much because most are just a hollow drum with a piece of filter inside. I decided to make one using the scrap materials I have in hand.

This is the outlook of the muffler. It is connected to the air intake of the compressor via a silicon hose.

1558779044_5944447475ce914a489f927.60011882_YH muffler 1.jpg

1558779055_2966732465ce914af46f082.29923352_YH muffler 2.jpg

1558779063_20048274745ce914b7e646f7.49824868_YH muffler 3.jpg

The core of the muffler is a frame made of ABS holding a number of sponge rings for dampening the noise :

1558779073_13489684005ce914c19372d4.03372148_YH muffler 4.jpg

1558779083_18302581485ce914cb3eaff4.61958842_YH muffler 5.jpg

The sound coming out from the intake of the compressor is forced to travel through a zig-zag path :

1558779098_17684721005ce914da4a6b48.20855235_Yong Heng muffler 6a.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6GuKaU4SyM

My perception is that the sound is reduced by about half but there is a slight increase in the fill time as the compressor is now not breathing as easily as it used to. The time to fill my gold filter from empty to 4500 psi is increased from 101 seconds to 107 seconds but this is acceptable to me given the substantial amount of noise reduction.

Reactions: jekyl06 and Paio
Looks like your one of those midnight tinkerers. Interesting,that's a very nice clean approach for a solution.Looks like it was professionally manufactured.Nice work.Could you tell me what size is the hose your useing?,,I.D and O.D. I think if I were to try something similer I'll use a small rectangular box like what a scope comes in mounted behind the unit. Thx for posting this

Looks like your one of those midnight tinkerers. Interesting,that's a very nice clean approach for a solution.Looks like it was professionally manufactured.Nice work.Could you tell me what size is the hose your useing?,,I.D and O.D. I think if I were to try something similer I'll use a small rectangular box like what a scope comes in mounted behind the unit. Thx for posting this

The thread of the right-angle hose connector fitted to the air intake hole is 1/4 BSPP. The hose is 7 mm ID and 11 mm OD . The moisture trap is quite close to the intake hole so it is likely that you will need to file down the adaptor at the corner in order to get clear of the moisture trap.

Yes, I think a lot of designs are possible. E.g. simply connecting the hose to a paper box filled with chopped-up sponge may well be as effective. 

That is Frigging AWESOME !! I avoid using mine sometimes because of the noise . That is an awesome solution !!!!!!!!!

I was cutting the end off of a couple of beer cans and using that until my wife got tired of smell on beer when she nibbled my ear lobes.

If you believe she still does that you must still believe in finding the perfect airgun 😁

Anyway a pair of headphones work great!

Mine is down right now because my water pump went out and it overheated. I do like the reduced sound your muffler has. It might not be that much of a reduction in db but the announcement level is huge. I ran my compressor setting next to my deep sink with the water pump submerged and the return line was as well. I did not notice that my water pump was not working. Once I get mine repaired I will make sure that the water return line is not under water so I can keep an eye on it. I will also look into your muffler system. Mine does need one for sure.

Yes, probably don't have to go to lengths that Accuracy has go to. For instance, the rule in quieting a kitchen exhaust fan it that is need just one 90degree bend to get rid of the noise.

I am going to check out the offering at my B&B hardware for big plastic washers. Piping is the hard part.

Wouldn't PCP pipe work and be easier to work with for many people? Obviously not as nice as the aluminum one that the OP made but it isn't a high pressure area and heat might not be severe enough to melt it. I believe the "foamy things" are probably a PyramydAir pellet packing bonus feature.

I believe the main reason the YH is louder than many other compressors has to do with enclosure. Notice how a lot of the other units are almost completely enclosed, and the YH has the first stage cylinder almost completely exposed. I'm not sure about compressors but with air cooled engines you can put the best muffler available on and they're still making considerable sound from the cooling fins resonating. The only way to get them real quiet is to enclose them like a Honda generator. I know it works because I put mine in a cabinet that can be closed but has a vent on the door and Voila!

And BTW my YH won't run off of an invertor generator. It's got triple the necessary starting power, so that's not it. It will run off a 2500W Pure Sine DC to AC invertor, and also a regular generator. Modified Sine Wave invertors like what is found on most small gas generators are notorious for having trouble with capacitor start motors like the YH's.