• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quieting down a Champion .22LR/pellet trap?

Hateful McNasty

Way them traps are designed its like a echo chamber or megaphone ..lol. Probly more noise throwed back at you then anything.

my next trap will be made of acoustic ceiling tiles with a steel/cement backboard. Steel with cement poured backing . no ringing just thump , so far . WE SHALL SEE ?
Is your plan to just replace the acoustic backing occasionally?

Where/what panels did you get?

the problem with common tried quiet traps is they trap the pellets . what i mean is the putty type swallows the pellet and when you shoot consecutively in the same spot you end up with a deep hole thru the putty. also recycling lead is almost impossible to do . Rubber mulch ,you can shake the lead out but still a mess to handle . carpet works good but takes room (front to back ) for the carpet to hang loose .
Another noise is the pellet hitting the paper ,as someone complained about in another thread. I actually tried this and yes paper does make more noise than one would think . I used a wood frame with the paper target taped to it and nothing behind but open air . yup made noise i could hear @ 30 yards .

not shooting thru the panels . make the box from acoustic tiles . think of making a cube of 12 inch SQ tiles then cut the hole in one side to tape paper target over the hole trapping the noise inside ? OH a rubber or carpet backstop inside the cube . Just an idea ? buy @ Lowes white pannels with holes on one side or decorative cuts to absorb the sounds .
I have a bunch of 2ftx4ft panels

It would be on the outside covering the impact plate part . Or maybe replace that thin noisy steel with thicker as well
Aint but so much you'll get but going from a louder whack to slight clunk is somthing. That thin guage metal stuff dont last long here . Things need to be 3/16

the problem with common tried quiet traps is they trap the pellets . what i mean is the putty type swallows the pellet and when you shoot consecutively in the same spot you end up with a deep hole thru the putty. also recycling lead is almost impossible to do . Rubber mulch ,you can shake the lead out but still a mess to handle . carpet works good but takes room (front to back ) for the carpet to hang loose .
Another noise is the pellet hitting the paper ,as someone complained about in another thread. I actually tried this and yes paper does make more noise than one would think . I used a wood frame with the paper target taped to it and nothing behind but open air . yup made noise i could hear @ 30 yards .
This is well articulated --- I'm mostly just trying to thing through if there's a solution to these issues.

It would be on the outside covering the impact plate part . Or maybe replace that thin noisy steel with thicker as well
Aint but so much you'll get but going from a louder whack to slight clunk is somthing. That thin guage metal stuff dont last long here . Things need to be 3/16
i screwed the (Lowes thickest ) thin steel to a frame of 1x3 boards and then filled with cement ( a lot heavier than i thought but when struck from 10 yards with a 20FPE .22 it makes a dull thud sound ,now combine this backstop on a 45% inside the acoustic tile box .?
note: the cement adheres to the steel and wood frame and deadens the ring/ping.
EDIT #2 the cement supports the steel so it does not dent
EDIT#3 the thin (16 gage? Lowes) keeps the cement from chipping

Last edited:
Reactions: Hateful McNasty
i screwed the (Lowes thickest ) thin steel to a frame of 1x3 boards and then filled with cement ( a lot heavier than i thought but when struck from 10 yards with a 20FPE .22 it makes a dull thud sound ,now combine this backstop on a 45% inside the acoustic tile box .?
note: the cement adheres to the steel and wood frame and deadens the ring/ping.
EDIT #2 the cement supports the steel so it does not dent
EDIT#3 the thin (16 gage? Lowes) keeps the cement from chipping
Ya, i seen you get some density involved dampens a lot..

Personally i try to get a nice arcade ring .. peet DING! Lol.

Thanks for the tip on Spyderweb --- I'll check that out. I'm hoping to avoid rubber mulch because my experience is that it inevitably gets everywhere.

I'm kinda surprised someone hasn't figured out a product around this --- something like 12x24 and quiet --- the energy for pellets generally is way less that rimfire and I'd think there's some opportunity there.
I tried a medium as well as a large sized spyderweb years ago. A 25gr jsb passed through about 20% of the time at 40fpe, especially parts of the Kevlar mesh opened up (much like if you shoot them in the same hole as previously with an arrow - the second shot can go much further through). The pellet tended to come through I fragments too, shotgunning the plaster on my boundary wall before I realized.