Quieting down a Champion .22LR/pellet trap?

As per the post title. Right now I've got duct seal spread on the back wall and it definetly helps, but it's a PITA for a variety of reasons, and once a spot is shot up it doesn't help.

I definetly think filling the rear external chase with some material would help.

I'd replace the duct seal with some of that self healing rubber used in indoor ranges, but I'm concerned about bounce back with a low power airgun.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

The duct seal is the best I could do with my champion trap. I tried filling the back space with expanda foam ( nope).
Duct seal in a pot worked pretty good , you can spin the pot. What about a piece of carpet hanging.
What I currently use is a 21 qt container from Wally world full of sand with a small clipboard duct taped on. Works great stops my .25 cal at 60 ft lbs easy at 10 yards . Hope this helps

Reactions: john8
Have seen folk hang rug layers, then Tractor Supply stall mat, the smaller one 3x4 is more dense.
Another is Rubber Mulch. I am making one now using rubber mulch, and 2 inch foam behind it.
I already have the 2" foam, so worth a try, 3 1/2" 2x4 frame depth, so 1 1/2" rubber mulch, and 2 foam, the plywood....?
Or just buy more mulch and use at 3 1/2" ..?

I have no knowledge of the Champion trap you're attempting to re-appropriate.... but if you can somehow fill it with rubber mulch and contain the mulch inside, your noise will be quieted.
My basement box trap is 7.5" deep x 12" wide x 15" tall, it holds one bag of mulch. I've never had a pellet penetrate the mulch to contact the interior rear wall, with some velocities up to 1000fps. Replaceable cardboard front panel as needed.... simple and easy! For cleanout.... I dump contents into my wheel barrow and finger-sift through mulch, pellets end up on the bottom, re-fill the box trap as I sift. (y)

I have one of these traps , very loud. tried a lot of things covered in silicone sealant All outside , still a loud thud but no lasting ring. Next i installed it inside a styrofoam 2 inch thick cooler . not much help there either
it is still pellet hitting metal .
04-10-15-02-commercial-bullet-trap.jpg

I tried gluing a patch of anti-fatigue mat to the outside of the steel using spray adhesive and this helped the backstop stop ringing but there was still a pronounced thunk.

I had an idea for a new type of trap with minimum maintenance by using a curtain of hanging lightweight steel chains that were staggered a little bit so that there were no gaps and a little bit of overlap for each chain. Upon impact, chains would dissipate the energy of the pellet and let the lead rain down into some sort of catch area but I've never built one.

Feinwerk

This has been the main idea I've been contemplating, haven't ordered any of the eggcrate foam yet though.
Id think somthing more dence to stop the sound vibrations . Thick rubber mat heck id try a couch throw pillow and firmly duct tape it to the back . Just yry stuff at hand . Maybe sillycone adhesive a 3/4" plyboard firm would take a bit out . Good luck.

I tried gluing a patch of anti-fatigue mat to the outside of the steel using spray adhesive and this helped the backstop stop ringing but there was still a pronounced thunk.

I had an idea for a new type of trap with minimum maintenance by using a curtain of hanging lightweight steel chains that were staggered a little bit so that there were no gaps and a little bit of overlap for each chain. Upon impact, chains would dissipate the energy of the pellet and let the lead rain down into some sort of catch area but I've never built one.

Feinwerk
I've though about something similar with 3-4 sheets of hanging kevlar fabric. For lower power airguns I think it could work but I don't know what I'd use for the case/box.

I've though about something similar with 3-4 sheets of hanging kevlar fabric. For lower power airguns I think it could work but I don't know what I'd use for the case/box.
The Kevlar doesn't work, The twist of the pellet and the rifle marks transferred to the pellet grab the strands and wrap them up around it while it punches through the Kevlar, might not pass through but it will tunnel dragging the cloth with it.
Smitty

Have you tried any sound dentoning material stuff on the "outside" back plate that the pellets hit ? Should take a bit of the sound out and not keep being damaged by pellet hits.
I used silicone sealant on the outside of a steel pellet trap with minimal results IE: just lowered tone of the strike a bit .
Also two layers of Duct tape on the inside , very slight dulling of sound.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
The Kevlar doesn't work, The twist of the pellet and the rifle marks transferred to the pellet grab the strands and wrap them up around it while it punches through the Kevlar, might not pass through but it will tunnel dragging the cloth with it.
Smitty
Well thanks for the info here --- wouldn't have been the cheapest expirment. Bummer though, I was hopeful.

There is a type of Kevlar fabric made for archery targets call Spyderweb. It is designed for the fibers to spread apart without damage and then arrows can be pulled back through.

I found one report of somebody shooting it with an airgun and it didn't poke a hole but no recollection of caliber, power or number of shots it was able to withstand.

If you could put something like that over the front of the target and hold some rubber mulch inside I think that would help a lot.

Similar to the self healing rubber are the self healing foams. Also used for archery. I know a few people have used them for airguns but as I recall not a lot of information about their performance.

If it were me I'd probably use some corrugated plastic taped over the front with a thick and wide window flashing tape or possibly house wrap tape. Place the trap on its back, fill with rubber mulch, and the tape the plastic over the mulch. Completely cover the plastic and entire face of the target area with the tape as I feel it does take a bit of the smacking sound away. I would remove all of the duct seal and use the sound of pellets hitting steel to be an indication that you're getting tunneling or settling with the mulch. Not sure how deep your trap is but it probably won't happen often.

Another option to the corrugated plastic are those plastic garage cans. They have semi self healing properties of sorts and you can cut them up and get several pieces of plastic from them. Even a multi pump BB gun will shoot through them at 12 yards so no I can't image bounce back will be a problem.

My pellet traps are large as I like to be able to tape the game style targets onto them for my boys. If I could get away with a smaller trap I would use the garbage cans as the face of my traps. I could cut them up and flatten them with a heat gun but haven't tried it yet.

I used silicone sealant on the outside of a steel pellet trap with minimal results IE: just lowered tone of the strike a bit .
Also two layers of Duct tape on the inside , very slight dulling of sound.
Ya, thats where the thicher ply comes in on top of that .. i noticed that to.

Now maybe tape a folded blue jeans to the back firm. .

Ive tried a few things it just ginding the right thing. But theres always a clack or ping when the pellet hits regardless even rubber or thick black rubber mud flap.

Way them traps are designed its like a echo chamber or megaphone ..lol. Probly more noise throwed back at you then anything.

Hateful McNasty

Way them traps are designed its like a echo chamber or megaphone ..lol. Probly more noise throwed back at you then anything.

my next trap will be made of acoustic ceiling tiles with a steel/cement backboard. Steel with cement poured backing . no ringing just thump , so far . WE SHALL SEE ?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
There is a type of Kevlar fabric made for archery targets call Spyderweb. It is designed for the fibers to spread apart without damage and then arrows can be pulled back through.

I found one report of somebody shooting it with an airgun and it didn't poke a hole but no recollection of caliber, power or number of shots it was able to withstand.

If you could put something like that over the front of the target and hold some rubber mulch inside I think that would help a lot.

Similar to the self healing rubber are the self healing foams. Also used for archery. I know a few people have used them for airguns but as I recall not a lot of information about their performance.

If it were me I'd probably use some corrugated plastic taped over the front with a thick and wide window flashing tape or possibly house wrap tape. Place the trap on its back, fill with rubber mulch, and the tape the plastic over the mulch. Completely cover the plastic and entire face of the target area with the tape as I feel it does take a bit of the smacking sound away. I would remove all of the duct seal and use the sound of pellets hitting steel to be an indication that you're getting tunneling or settling with the mulch. Not sure how deep your trap is but it probably won't happen often.

Another option to the corrugated plastic are those plastic garage cans. They have semi self healing properties of sorts and you can cut them up and get several pieces of plastic from them. Even a multi pump BB gun will shoot through them at 12 yards so no I can't image bounce back will be a problem.

My pellet traps are large as I like to be able to tape the game style targets onto them for my boys. If I could get away with a smaller trap I would use the garbage cans as the face of my traps. I could cut them up and flatten them with a heat gun but haven't tried it yet.
Thanks for the tip on Spyderweb --- I'll check that out. I'm hoping to avoid rubber mulch because my experience is that it inevitably gets everywhere.

I'm kinda surprised someone hasn't figured out a product around this --- something like 12x24 and quiet --- the energy for pellets generally is way less that rimfire and I'd think there's some opportunity there.