• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quieting a metal pellet trap

Lead. Just that. Lead.

Melt some lead in an old pan (outside please) over a camping stove into a quarter inch sheet and screw it on to your backplate. Quiet as you like and 99% of pellets sticking on impact. When the lead ‘’flowers” build up to a level that they are impinging on your target paper simply melt the whole thing flat again. No waste, no fuss. After a while of slinging pellets at it you will have enough for another lead backplate.

100% recycling. Silent as it gets. No mess. I built mine into old power tool cases.

Genuinely, if you screw a lead plate to a thick bit of ply then your issues are sorted. I can take photos if you wish.
And is it really quiet? Quiet like hitting a paper target or louder?

And is it really quiet? Quiet like hitting a paper target or louder?
Lead does not ‘ring’ so a dull thud only. Not as quiet as paper (but what is behind the paper?). I can 100% guarantee no ricochets and next to no mess (unlike digging around in a box full of rags) and a lead backstop just self perpetuates and breeds the more you shoot at it. Genuinely the best solution. It’s a bit like a fly hitting an oil tanker.

Reactions: john8 and rcs9250
Lead. Just that. Lead.

Melt some lead in an old pan (outside please) over a camping stove into a quarter inch sheet and screw it on to your backplate. Quiet as you like and 99% of pellets sticking on impact. When the lead ‘’flowers” build up to a level that they are impinging on your target paper simply melt the whole thing flat again. No waste, no fuss. After a while of slinging pellets at it you will have enough for another lead backplate.

100% recycling. Silent as it gets. No mess. I built mine into old power tool cases.

Genuinely, if you screw a lead plate to a thick bit of ply then your issues are sorted. I can take photos if you wish.
Nice idea. Good thinking.

Reactions: EncoreUneFois
Lead. Just that. Lead.

never thought of it. can you show some pics?

Apologies- bare minimum photo (and target was dialling in a new scope) my lead is in an old tool case. No effort, no muss. No need to listen to an old sod either. It just works. Much like I do.

IMG_1899.jpeg

What are you all using to quiet the pellet impact in the metal pellet traps?
I DON"T want to use rubber mulch as the reason going to the metal trap was to not have to deal with that mess.
I've tried rubber sheets which work for a few days until I'm shooting them to oblivion, maybe I'll try old carpet but history tells me it won't be any better.
Hey @dens228 ive been looking for a DIY pellet trap myself. So, thanks for posting.

I am thinking about the “melting lead” option - it’s described in this thread- and there are even pictures.

What do you think of it? I wonder how thick it needs to be for starters.

Molten metal sounds involved, so I need to do some homework. The physics seem solid. Haha.

PT

Hey @dens228 ive been looking for a DIY pellet trap myself. So, thanks for posting.

I am thinking about the “melting lead” option - it’s described in this thread- and there are even pictures.

What do you think of it? I wonder how thick it needs to be for starters.

Molten metal sounds involved, so I need to do some homework. The physics seem solid. Haha.

PT
I'm sure it would work but you would definitely need a solid backing for safety. I ended up with a 1/2 inch horse mat. A sheet big enough to make about 6 of what I need cost a few bucks. I think around $30. I still have the first one in there and after a few thousand shots you can barely tell I've shot at it. Not as quiet as the rubber mulch but much more convenient and plenty quiet.

I'm sure it would work but you would definitely need a solid backing for safety. I ended up with a 1/2 inch horse mat. A sheet big enough to make about 6 of what I need cost a few bucks. I think around $30. I still have the first one in there and after a few thousand shots you can barely tell I've shot at it. Not as quiet as the rubber mulch but much more convenient and plenty quiet.
If you don’t mind, can you post a photo? Sorry if I missed that in the thread. $30 to get 6 king-lasting traps sounds worth trying

Honestly look at at my photo above. Lead sheet on a thick square of blockboard is as quiet as you can get. A dull impact thud. Even at high FPE I have never seen a ricochet or pass through. All you get is more lead to make more backstops. It sticks 99% of the time, and any paper fragments that are trapped burn out in re-melting. I’ve used the pictured backstop for many years - have three others now from remelts. Nothing else comes close.

Reactions: rc4fun