Quietest

Going to depend on your tune, and your moderator. Any gun can be adjusted to be comparably quiet. To the point that the hammer with be the loudest noise. For the quietest backyard gun you will want the smallest caliber. Other than the gun, the loudest noise will be projectile impact. The smaller the projectile, and the slower it moves, the less noise. In most cases, anyhow. 

Reactions: TreePointer
I've done measurements several times on my 3 pcps which range from 18 to 48 fpe. I've made moderators, modified shrouds, used one DonnyFL (a Tanto) and three printed moderators. As others have said, the gun doesn't make much difference except for a general trend that more power equals more noise. More power requires more air and the air exiting the barrel is the main source of noise. I use a printed moderator on my Avenger and Prod and a modified version of the stock shroud on my P35. All are low 80s to high 70 db sound level at 15 feet from the muzzle.

I've also messed with the noise of the pellet hitting the trap. As long as you shoot paper supported by cardboard, I get about 85 db of noise from the impact - again at 15 feet from the trap. This can be quieted about 6 db at angles other than straight back towards the gun by putting two layers of bath towels around the sound trap leaving only an opening to shoot through.

My conclusion is that 80-85 db is a good definition of "backyard friendly" since it is quite difficult to get the gun and projectile impact quieter than that. I don't know anything about big bores but I think 25 and smaller caliber air rifles should generally be capable of this sound level with the right shroud or moderator. I prefer an effective shroud since it lower cost and doesn't extend the gun.

My Avenger is about 100 db un-moderated. I think that is decidedly not backyard friendly. I was pleasantly surprised that a printed moderator that fits within the shroud got it down just over 80 db. My Prod was about 85 db with the stock shroud and is about 76 db with it's buck rail moderator. The Avenger is about 2.5X the fpe of the Prod. My P35 is between the two in fpe and noise.

With a proper tune Dreamline and HW110 both could be super quiet. However HW110 power can NOT be adjusted so if you want to shoot multiple ammo’s at different power or change barrel or change caliber there is no bearing the Dreamline. My Dreamline setup at 10FPE is so quiet it’s sounds broken. 

All the datatate reveres I’ve seen at 12fpe have been way louder and use a lot more air. In fact there was one next to me at a silhouette match today and it had to be aired up 3-4 times while my crown barely dropped 30 bars with 400cc bottle over 80 shots. This is on top of being loud and sounds farty. 

I don't have any experience with the Dreamline or HW100/110. I do however have experience with the Huntsman Regal XL but not the Revere. Like others have said, the Huntsman series are not that quiet. I believe it's more of the Harper Slingshot action that is heard. I've tried different moderators on it but it's still a little loud. From what I've heard, the moderator that is included with the Weihrauch HW100 series is pretty effective that some people buy the moderator by itself to mount on other airguns.

Given your shooting distance, and the desire for low noise, you might want to consider a 12 fpe rifle. I have a HW100 in .177 that I tuned down to that level, and it is darned near silent, but I still kill squirrels consistently at my maximum backyard distance of around 35 yards. I also have a .22 Revere, great rifle. I consider it yard friendly in noise, but nothing I have compares to the de-tuned HW100. I have no experience with the HW110, but from the comments, it may not be as owner-tunable as the HW100 (which I believe is the better rifle). 

I own the HW 110 in .177 cal. It shoots at 20 ft lbs and is incredibly quiet. I removed the factory moderator and replaced it with a Hugget Belita. Still crazy quiet and 3" shorter.

KIMG2437.1651494118.JPG

HW110 cocking makes more noise than the muzzle blast w/moderator

hammer hitting the valve makes more noise than the muzzle blast

pellet hitting target or pest makes more noise than the muzzle blast,, it is a Quiet gun

my HW110 is a 22 FAC,, hey gracklebast, nice scope there! I like the shorter LDC. I am thinking of moving the magazine lever to the left side, I just need to get off my lazy rearend and do it

I am thinking of moving the magazine lever to the left side, I just need to get off my lazy rearend and do it

I built a Kral NP03 on a NP02 action which is their pistol action. Being a pistol action the sidelever is on the left. Most ergonomic and fastest follow up shot by far. You never have to remove your hand from the firing position. Works great!

Beau

HW110 cocking makes more noise than the muzzle blast w/moderator

hammer hitting the valve makes more noise than the muzzle blast

pellet hitting target or pest makes more noise than the muzzle blast,, it is a Quiet gun

my HW110 is a 22 FAC,, hey gracklebast, nice scope there! I like the shorter LDC. I am thinking of moving the magazine lever to the left side, I just need to get off my lazy rearend and do it.

Thanks. The scope is a Meopta Optica 5 4-20 x 50. 1 " tube, light, bright, and for this gun, just right. The gun set up this way is 36" long and 8 1/2 lbs. It's a keeper.

the .177 cal with the shorter 41cm(16") barrel would be a great choice for the OP as a 10-15 meter gun. My FAC 22 with the 60 cm(23") long barrel @30 ft/lb would be a little much for his needs. I see AoA has both a 177 (should be 12 ft/lb I dont see it written there),, and a 22 with a 16" barrel 28ft/lb. Mine would get used more with the shorter barrel. Grackle, my same Meopta sits on my Sapsan

Moody blues, yes to your liking the left side cocking levers, but I meant the HW also has a short magazine lever that has to be held in the up position to change magazines, it is a bit fiddly