• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quietest PCP under $400?

I had a .22 Marauder and I considered it very quiet and didn’t need an additional moderator. My nephew picked up a gen 2 Fortitude when they first came out last year. It is definitely quieter than the Marauder. His is accurate with the 14.3 CPHP. Only downside I saw for a $300 rifle was the trigger. A quick google search and we swapped a heavy spring in the trigger for one from a ballpoint pen. Only took a few minutes and made a nice improvement. It had enough power for him to kill a raccoon with a single headshot. Should be fine for squirrels at reasonable ranges with good shot placement.

If you are shooting inside 30 yards I would go with the crosman 2240 with a few mods...Longer barrel ($20-40) and a Donny tanto ..I have this complete set up coming in at around $280 complete including C02 inserts.. Most of the stuff you can get off Amazon, except for the Donny moderator. Scope will also be an added feature....but i can get about 500fps with this gun.. super quiet and enough to kill squirrels and pest birds...in .22 

1586356026_10793971635e8ddf3aa475c5.03955255.jpg

I'd vote for .22 Marauder. They often turn up refurbished for under $400. It is a good bang for the buck. Powerful enough to take care of those backyard critters. Quiet. Most importantly, it is reliable. 

I have a Umarex Gauntlet and it took a lot of work to get rid of the POI shifts and get it to feed pellets without damage. If you are handy and don't mind fixing something new you just bought it isn't a bad way to go either.

How quiet a gun is very subjective. Generally, other characteristics would have higher priority. I would just make sure that what you select, that there are options to add additional "quiet", in case it was not enough for your conditions.

The Gen 1 Fortitude was louder than my Mrods, but Gen 2 was a considerable improvement. Depending on your yard and neighbors, a long rifle like a Fortitude or Mrod, may draw more attention. I find carbines a better choice for yard work and maneuverability on the back deck. A Prod might be worth considering, but it would need a LDC.

I also have a prod. Definitely not as quiet as the MRod and way louder than the fortitude. That said, I do love the prod. If you need it to be quiet, you would also need to invest in a moderator if you went with the prod. The fortitude is a better bang for your buck than the prod.....more shots, quieter, regulated....and did i mention I have a prod and love it?

I am loving my Gen2 Fortitude, it is quiet, I also in Love my Prod, for its a very compact Carbine rifle, and very Lightweight too. I also Love my Marauder synrod rifle, but it is a much heavier rifle once a scope is put on it. The Fortitude gen2 is Lightweight, and very balanced, Many shots from a single air up, Not to bad to pump with a Hand pump either. I have a 3-9x40 AO scope for the Fortitude, and its still fairly light weight. But I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 Dot sight that I can put on it very quickly, this is an Extremely light weight setup. Its like having open sights on the Fortitude, keeping it as light as possible, and very well Balanced as possible as it keeps that balanced weight feel that I really like about the Fortitude. The Fortitude would be a good Carry gun if hunting, attach a sling, and good to go, The Fortitude is defiantly More Powerful than my Prod.