• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Quietest Moderator for 25cal M3?

Hey bud,
I have a couple M3’s and multiple barrels for ‘em:
.22 500mm, .25 500mm, .25 700mm, .30 700mm.
Also have a bunch of Donny’s to choose from:
Koi, Sumo, Ronin, extension for the Ronin, and an Emperor. I’ve tried the DFL FX, Tanto, and Fat boy but didn’t think they did enough reduction of the report so I sold them.

Imho the sumo is a nice balance of sound reduction to weight ratio.
The koi, for its size, is VERY impressive. Not navy seal stealth quiet but it makes my .25/500mm backyard friendly.

For compact setups I usually go with the koi. On 700mm setups I usually only use the sumo, sometimes the Ronin but theres a big Difference in weight.

If I want absolute mouse fart quiet, at the expense of a lot of weight on the end of the barrel, I’ll use the Ronin with the extension. Due to the floating barrel and the extra weight I only use this combo for compact barrels and usually only for pesting with my buddy. He has a small farm and lots of unwanted critters. It’s super quiet for night time work, but kinda awkward. From behind the scope all I hear is the hammer strike and the impact down range.

I currently have my .22/500mm setup with the wayyy overkill Ronin with the extension (kinda looks silly but effective) and the .25/500mm with a koi. If you would like a video of them side by side lmk I’ll make one real quick.

I’ve been very curious about huma moderators. I’ve heard good things about them. I’ve also experimented a bit with 3D printing my own moderators. I tried a few out on my own rifles and sent a few to a member to try out on his springer. We had fairly different results in performance with them. I haven’t tried adding threaded inserts nor have I experimented with the carbon fiber tube I have kicking around. Maybe someday when I find time (too many irons in the fire). Something that interests me about the printed moderators is the weight. A printed can about the size of a DFL Shogun weighs the same or less than a sumo depending on the wall thickness and number of baffles.

If you want to go the 3D printed route there’s a person on the forum with the handle “old spook” that makes custom moderators and iirc there’s also a website called buck and bear, that sells printed ones too. Can’t say I know much more about them other than the names but old spooks seem kinda popular. Not sure what internals they use as that makes a huge difference on sound.

Hopefully others will chime in on their experiences.
Stay sharp stay safe,
icy ⊕

• Love
Reactions: Ingwe
Get yourself a Huma Mod 40 if you want really quiet.

I’m basing this on the Huma Mod 30s and 40s (I own several) with the felt inserts. I have not tried the latest Humas with the baffle inserts (Avalanche)

Trenier sells the Avalanche Mod 40 and 30:

If you want super quiet, you can replace the felt with rolled cork (cheap 1/4” cork sheets off Amazon) in one of the sections. Humas are modular so you can use as few sections as you need:

Hygloss Cork Roll 1.5 mm Thick-12" x 24"-Brown-1 Qty https://a.co/d/dGiebxV

The Huma design is basically a copy of the legendary Weihrauch 30mm tube design. It works great and is ADJUSTABLE… you can add felt layers, remove felt, use cork, add more sections internally, etc.

I‘ve got multiple Donny moderators. They look nice and do a reasonable job for their size, but they are not your 1st choice for quietness in my experience. They are also completely unadjustable with that monocore design. You can’t even add an additional layer of felt.

I’ve also made lots of moderators. If you have a low power gun, a Buck Rail 3d printed mod will be pretty quiet. If its a higher power airgun (40+ ft/lbs) try a Huma.

BTW, I’ve got a Huma Mod40 on my 30 cal Prophet shooting 72ft/lbs and its backyard friendly. I couldn’t believe it - thought the .30 would be to loud in the yard.

-Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: Ingwe
The Silent Thunder Ordnance Falx does a great job on my .25 M3 at over 85 ftlbs.

20221205_200440.jpg

20221206_171337.jpg

20221205_195607.jpg

The Silent Thunder Ordnance Falx does a great job on my .25 M3 at over 85 ftlbs.

View attachment 378620

View attachment 378621

View attachment 378622
In your second pic, what is that black plastic piece and the white nylon washers?

Were they included with your order? Mine didn’t come with any of those.

In your second pic, what is that black plastic piece and the white nylon washers?

Were they included with your order? Mine didn’t come with any of those.
The black piece is an end cap removal tool and white washes are timing shims.
They were not included I purchased those extra.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newton
I just got a Huggett Astille moderator for my M3 .25 cal. on Friday and I can honestly say it's the quietest moderator I've ever had. When I first shot the M3 with it, I thought something was wrong with my rifle, I went and set up my chrono and shot through it to see if the FPS was the same.... that's how quiet it is...LOL I usually make my own moderators using K baffles and they definitely quiet the rifle but, I can't make one as quiet as this Huggett...:)

IMG_5143.jpg

I only have my Maverick compact tuned to 46 ft/lbs and I have always been impressed how quiet it is. The other day I took the stock hollow fx can off and was surprised how loud that gun was without. To me the hollow stock fx can works great and is plenty. Not sure how much they are if you don’t have one though.
If your tune is solid and efficient, that FX hollow can will do the job. You must have nailed it. Reckless inefficient tunes require big mods hung on guns with shrouds. No shroud and mod screwed on barrel, they need a little more help. Larger mod excusable then.

Reactions: Trucker3573