• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Quietest Brake Barrell

I am replacing my old Gamo 22 that is more than 70 years old. Looking for a pest rifle or long stocked pistol to shoot squirrels. at a range of 20-30 yards. Sometimes less. Need at least 10fpe. Need to have a scope or capable of mounting.

Priorities are.

1) as quiet as possible
2) Accurate to forty yards
3) Lethal to a squirrel head shot
4) Economical because I wish to buy a PCP for coyote night hunting.

Researching I find there are too many brands, models, etc. making a selection too frustrating. Local stores don't have pellet guns that are for display so I can't get a feel. The local Cabela’s has everything in sealed boxes. Clerks don't really know anything about guns, etc.

Any ideas or help?

Reactions: MDriskill
The new Gamo Hunters 10X will be a great option at a good price. I have acquired a few of them for my clients directly from Gamo USA.

Make sure to buy an extra magazine or two.

Well .. lol. My gamo whisper fusion mach 1 .22 with the whisper fusion baffle is mine.. then I guess any with a add on moderator could be ..

Heck you got good service from your gamo could try another .. catch a good sale at gamo on something like this in .22 and keep showing them critters who's boss..

New year sale

Personal I avoid the auto loaders .. just one more thing to maintain or break / malfunction.. lol

Reactions: MDriskill
I had bad luck with the autoloader on my own Gamo, but the rifle itself seems to be pretty decent for the money. To keep it as quiet and as cheap as possible, I'd want a built in moderator and power in the 12-16 foot pound range. I'd probably go with .22 for squirrels, but .177 will work really well too. If you do the Pyramyd buy 3 get one free deal and get free shipping at the same time you can get H&N FTT's in either caliber for just over 2 cents a shot and that's dirt cheap for a high quality pellet.

The Gamo Whisper is only $130 with a scope included at Pyramyd.

If you're willing to consider older used guns, there are many high-quality break-barrel rifles from Weihrauch (HW 35, HW 50, HW 95), Diana (model 34), Webley (Vulcan, C1 Carbine, Longbow, Stingray), BSA (Supersport, Lightning), and MANY others out there for reasonable money.

And...all spring-piston airguns are not break-barrel cocking. Modern fixed-barrel, sliding breech designs (HW 77 or 97, TX 200, Diana 48 or 460) are bigger, heavier, and maybe over your price limit...but awfully nice. Older tap-loaders (Diana 50; Webley Mark 3, Tracker; BSA Airsporter) are lighter, trimmer designs that can deliver the goods too.

I suspect the forum consensus from these would be the HW 50. My pick would be the HW 35. But these are all pretty nifty air rifles!

Last edited:
Reactions: dgeesaman
Actually I did. The decsion was based upon fatique and TMI
I concider this my beginners rifle to be upgraded to a PCP model when I get my outbuilding constructed as my man cave of my 50 acre property. I ordered a

https://gamousa.com/product/swarm-fusion-10x-gen3i-22-exclusive-kit/

I would have tried to look for other recommended break barrel rifles in a used market if I could have found places to look. Frankly, I suffered from lack of time and too much marketing hype that over powered other good matches when using Google or Bing search engines.

My fantasy is to construction a 12' x 16' shack on poles 10' above grade, Have it powered for TV, microwave and coffee pot. Have a window small enough to open and shot through and call in coyotes that bother my herd of buffalo. Not that a coyote can bother a healthy buff. ( just an excuss to shoot) . I am thinging og a 25 or 30 cal PCP would do it for shots within 75 yards ( head shots) . I have lived on this property and once shot a coyote at 250 plus yards with my 25-3000 Savage, hitting it on the top of the head cuasing it to run in circles long enough for me to approach it and finish it off with a 22. I know the Savage is 10 or more times a 30 cal pellet but its just an expereince that these wild dogs can be called in close. Especially at night. Even though I live in a rural area , rifle shotss are loud and broadcast to neighbors what I'm doing. I just want to be private and left alone. If I get really good at shoting Coyotes, and can always take my call and go to the public land around me. The USFS has large sections of land available.

Actually I did. The decsion was based upon fatique and TMI
I concider this my beginners rifle to be upgraded to a PCP model when I get my outbuilding constructed as my man cave of my 50 acre property. I ordered a

https://gamousa.com/product/swarm-fusion-10x-gen3i-22-exclusive-kit/

I would have tried to look for other recommended break barrel rifles in a used market if I could have found places to look. Frankly, I suffered from lack of time and too much marketing hype that over powered other good matches when using Google or Bing search engines.

My fantasy is to construction a 12' x 16' shack on poles 10' above grade, Have it powered for TV, microwave and coffee pot. Have a window small enough to open and shot through and call in coyotes that bother my herd of buffalo. Not that a coyote can bother a healthy buff. ( just an excuss to shoot) . I am thinging og a 25 or 30 cal PCP would do it for shots within 75 yards ( head shots) . I have lived on this property and once shot a coyote at 250 plus yards with my 25-3000 Savage, hitting it on the top of the head cuasing it to run in circles long enough for me to approach it and finish it off with a 22. I know the Savage is 10 or more times a 30 cal pellet but its just an expereince that these wild dogs can be called in close. Especially at night. Even though I live in a rural area , rifle shotss are loud and broadcast to neighbors what I'm doing. I just want to be private and left alone. If I get really good at shoting Coyotes, and can always take my call and go to the public land around me. The USFS has large sections of land available.
A friend of mine finds a road kill deer and places it about 35 yards from his hide , leaves it for 2 days or until his game camera see's a yote then boom no yote .

I have a Hatsan 85 sniper in .25 that is very quiet. It's light.shoots great out to 40 yards, shoot it with open sights all the time.Nice feild rifle have taken plenty of smaller critters with it. Not for yotes but quiet.

20240119_124024~2.jpg

20210621_165137.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDR