• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quietest - .22 or .177?

Triggernosis,
I assume you must mean on a moderated rifle, and in my case I have done all I can to keep them quiet. So I can tell you that even though the larger cals use more volume of air my 177, 22, and 25cals are all similar in report. My 25cal is powerful and I have paid the most attention to it and with its shrouded bbl, internal baffles, and exterior moderator it is quieter than my 22.

now if we are talking about a stock gun, same model, same fpe, but different calibers, the smaller caliber will be louder as using a db meter to measure, at the same fpe the smaller caliber requires more air to generate the fps to equal the larger caliber, expelling more air makes more noise using the same moderator, it might be a very small difference, but the smaller barrel will also make a high pitched sound that is more audible to the ear. unless you are deaf like me and can only hear lower frequencies, then it doesn't matter... ;)

now if we are talking about a stock gun, same model, same FPE, but different calibers, [...]

I'm trying to understand why the OP is asking this question.
And I think a more realistic scenario for the OP might be:

▪︎ Same model, but different calibers: .177 vs. .22

▪︎ A pellet similar in weight-for-its-caliber, e.g.: 10.34gr for .177 | 18.13gr for .22

▪︎ A muzzle energy/ muzzle velocity typical for the caliber, e.g.: 18FPE for .177 880fps) | 31FPE for .22 (880fps)

▪︎ Both guns tuned similarly, e.g., the hammerspring is adjusted in such a way that the muzzle velocity is e.g. 5% below its peak at the current regulator setting.

🔹️ In this scenario the .177 expells less air than the .22 and would technically be somewhat quieter.
If it makes a difference to the neighbor 20 yards away over a wooden fence and bushes... — maybe not.
You could simply add a small silencer to the .22 and make it quieter than the .177. 😊

Matthias

I'm trying to understand why the OP is asking this question.
And I think a more realistic scenario for the OP might be:

▪︎ Same model, but different calibers: .177 vs. .22

▪︎ A pellet similar in weight-for-its-caliber, e.g.: 10.34gr for .177 | 18.13gr for .22

▪︎ A muzzle energy/ muzzle velocity typical for the caliber, e.g.: 18FPE for .177 880fps) | 31FPE for .22 (880fps)

▪︎ Both guns tuned similarly, e.g., the hammerspring is adjusted in such a way that the muzzle velocity is e.g. 5% below its peak at the current regulator setting.

🔹️ In this scenario the .177 expells less air than the .22 and would technically be somewhat quieter.
If it makes a difference to the neighbor 20 yards away over a wooden fence and bushes... — maybe not.
You could simply add a small silencer to the .22 and make it quieter than the .177. 😊

Matthias
Yessir, that is exactly what I'm asking.
To cut to the chase, I'm considering purchasing an HW110 in either .177 or .22, factory tune, with the factory moderator, and would like to know if one of them would be quiter than the other.

Let's assume the same model air rifle (a Weirauch HW110, specifically), same length, same moderator, etc. - is one caliber going to be quiter than the other? I'm guessing maybe it's not perceptible.
What say y'all?
I have an HW110 in .22 with 600mm barrel. The Weihrauch moderator (30mm tube) is the quietest that I’ve come across. Even at US power levels (my HW110 shoots 15.89s at about 895fps) I believe the HW110 in .177 will be similar, simply because the Weihrauch moderator is so effective. I’m actually going to drop my HW110 power level to about 20 foot pounds- it should be super quiet at that level.

Reactions: Triggernosis
To cut to the chase, I'm considering purchasing an HW110 in either .177 or .22, factory tune, with the factory moderator, and would like to know if one of them would be quiter than the other.
I believe you will find that velocity is the most influential variable in determining sound level, assuming the same tune. But, if comparing two rifles of the same velocity, with one being less efficient and wasting air, it will be louder. I don't know how the HW110 is generally tuned at the factory. I know that many of the HW100 rifles are delivered shooting too fast in .177 which, on average, probably makes them a bit louder. I don't think the difference in the two rifles you are considering is enough to matter.

I have an HW110 in .22 with 600mm barrel. The Weihrauch moderator (30mm tube) is the quietest that I’ve come across. Even at US power levels (my HW110 shoots 15.89s at about 895fps) I believe the HW110 in .177 will be similar, simply because the Weihrauch moderator is so effective. I’m actually going to drop my HW110 power level to about 20 foot pounds- it should be super quiet at that level.
I didn't think the 110 was modifiable, no?

I believe both calibers will be "similar" at the muzzle, with maybe the .177 edging just a touch.

Where .177 gets ahead from .22 is in the target strike. .177 will be much quieter hitting a target than .22. I've tested this out a lot in my backyard as I have close neighbors. No matter how slow I shoot .22, when it hits the paper there is quite the smack sound which cannot be avoided. With a smaller frontal surface area, the .177 impacts targets with less noise (at least paper ones - if you are shooting metal then all bets are off).

I need to do some measurements, I don't trust my impressions very far if at all. But I have three P35s now. The one I have had the longest shoots 20 grain 25 caliber FTTs at about 875 fps. The 22 caliber is less than a month old and is shooting 21 grain Barracuda Match pellets at about 830 fps. The little 177 shoots either Barracuda Match or Barracuda Power 10.65 grain at about 895 fps. So the 177 shoots the fastest but the fpe is under 20 where the other two are over 30 fpe. I think the 177 is higher pitched. 177 and 22 are using the stock baffles, the 25 had a hair curler mod.

Been messing with which pellet shoots best and just haven't gotten around to noise tests on the 177 and 22. The 177 seems to shoot the Barracuda Power slightly better than the Barracuda Match but not every time. They both shoot well. Makes deciding what to stock up on more difficult. I'll try and do some tests and post results soon.

After more than 37 years of firearm and shooting experience I have a theory in regards to what silencing a gunshot.

I believe its the volume and the pressure of released air at the muzzle that determine the dp. One can have a large volume of released gas but low pressure and vice versa or high pressure, high volume or again vice versa. When saying this the measured dp`s is not caliber specific. As an answer to the thread I believe the .177cal is the quietest as the regulator pressure is generally lower set and the airvolume of the .177cal is lower than a .22cal. Ofcouse if a regulator of a .177cal is set to 170bar versus a 140bar regulator set for a .22cal than the .22cal might be the quietest.
Barrellength also play a role. Shooting snupnosed .357mag is louder than from a 6inch barrel.

For the silent ninja stealth surgical kill the .177cal wins hands down.

Last edited:
Reactions: shausen
I guess I'll retype this, just lost a paragraph, not sure why. I tested my 22 and 177 caliber P35s a few minutes ago. I shot 4 pellets out into the lake behind my house with each gun. Velocity for both was a little under 900 fps. I used SPA 16 grain pellets in the 22 and Crosman 10.5 grain pellets in the 177. I have not changed the regulator in either gun nor have I changed hammer spring tension in a way that affected velocity. Both have stock baffles consisting of 8 thin aluminum cones in the shroud ahead of the barrel and about 8 small holes at the back of the shroud. I shot 4 pellets out into the lake behind my house with each gun. The average sound measurement for the 22 was 94.3 db and for the 177 it was 94.2.

So it looks like at least for these guns and their stock tune it doesn't really matter which caliber you shoot. They do not sound exactly the same to me, however, the 177 sounds higher pitched.

I also have a 25 caliber which shoots H&N FTTs at about 875 fps. The shroud on it is modified by taking out most of the aluminum baffles and putting felt wrapped hair curlers in their place. Measuring the exact same way, I measured an average of 85 db for the 25. I guess I need to get busy and modify the shrouds of the 177 and 22. But I am including this to mention that what is inside the shroud can make a significant difference, easily more than the caliber.

I use an inexpensive sound pressure meter I got from Amazon, I think it was about $20. I set it to Fast and for Maximum measurement so it holds the peak. Then I reset it between shots.

I guess I'll retype this, just lost a paragraph, not sure why. I tested my 22 and 177 caliber P35s a few minutes ago. I shot 4 pellets out into the lake behind my house with each gun. Velocity for both was a little under 900 fps. I used SPA 16 grain pellets in the 22 and Crosman 10.5 grain pellets in the 177. I have not changed the regulator in either gun nor have I changed hammer spring tension in a way that affected velocity. Both have stock baffles consisting of 8 thin aluminum cones in the shroud ahead of the barrel and about 8 small holes at the back of the shroud. I shot 4 pellets out into the lake behind my house with each gun. The average sound measurement for the 22 was 94.3 db and for the 177 it was 94.2.

So it looks like at least for these guns and their stock tune it doesn't really matter which caliber you shoot. They do not sound exactly the same to me, however, the 177 sounds higher pitched.

I also have a 25 caliber which shoots H&N FTTs at about 875 fps. The shroud on it is modified by taking out most of the aluminum baffles and putting felt wrapped hair curlers in their place. Measuring the exact same way, I measured an average of 85 db for the 25. I guess I need to get busy and modify the shrouds of the 177 and 22. But I am including this to mention that what is inside the shroud can make a significant difference, easily more than the caliber.

I use an inexpensive sound pressure meter I got from Amazon, I think it was about $20. I set it to Fast and for Maximum measurement so it holds the peak. Then I reset it between shots.
I think, all other variables equal, volume is primarily the product of air velocity and volume. The volume is not going to be greatly different between a .177 and .22, so velocity is the driver. Using the same example, but with a .177 and .30, I'm sure the .30 will be substantially louder at the same velocity. One of the variables is tuning, which can have an audible affect on sound volume. Two identical rifles, same pellet, same velocity, but one wasting air with an inefficient tune, and you will hear the difference. I'm not sure it will measure louder on meter, but it can definitely be heard.

I pulled the stock baffles and went with my version of Aaron Cantrell's hair curler mod (he made a youtube on it). The 177 averaged 82.5 db and the 22 averaged 85.9 db. This result makes a bit more sense to me. 22 was a little noisier.

When I pulled the stock baffles from the 22 they did not come out easily, one was expanded outward noticably. Not sure what happened, it was probably me. I had trouble with it clipping due to a mislocated O-ring SPA started putting in the last baffle so I know I was not attentive when I reassembled this previously. The unusual baffle stack may help explain why the 22 and 177 were the same initially.

My only other caution about my "22 is 3db louder" results is I've previously measured differences about this large just from how tight I pack the baffle/hair curler combinations. But I think it makes sense for the 22 to be a little quieter. It might not be 3+ db quieter if I messed with it a little but the 22 is using more air - making significantly more fpe - so it should be a little louder. I might also see the difference get bigger if I rearranged the pieces in both baffles. But I think something on the order of 3 db seems about right for 177 at about 19 fpe versus 22 at 30+fpe. Interestingly my 25 is about the same loudness as my 22 and makes just about the same fpe. Is it possible the fpe correlates better to noise than bore diameter?