Quiet pellet traps

Does anybody have any ideas for a slilent/quiet pellet trap. Have a .25. I tried duct seal. It was quiet but I couldn’t get it to stick very long. I am currently using the Airgun Target Systems ballistics pellet trap. It works really well but it is a little loud. Looking for something quiet that I can buy or make. Some of the neighbors might be catching on to what I am doing. Lol!!

I have tried most of what’s mentioned. What I found to work best is a slice of palm tree, the core is fibrous and silent when hit with a pellet. If you live where there are palm trees lots of people have them removed as I did and they cost nothing. You could call local landscape company and ask. Mine are about two feet in dia. I use over size thumb tack to mount the target.

ps and they last a long time.

I've been shooting into duct seal for years. But that box got so heavy, when I tried to clean it out, I just gave up and replaced the duct seal and even that was a chore. I started shooting into rubber mulch (as many have said here). Just save boxes, fill with the rubber mulch and shoot at them. once in awhile I patch them back up with some duct tape, then I throw out when it has reached a point of no return. I had one rubber mulch trap I made from a rubbermaid box. I poured out the mulch and had a heaping bunch of pellets and could recycle the mulch. The mulch approach still requires you shoot through cardboard and that is the loudest part. Duct seal is a tiny bit quieter since it is just smacking the paper target.

I use a plastic recycling bin that the city provided before thy went to recycling cans.

16"w x 12" h x 14" d

From back to front inside the bin are

• Single layer of 2x6 PT lumber
  • Old clothing folded,then rolled tight & packed in very tightly; multiple layers until the box is full
  • Piece of hi density foam cut to fit the inside dimensions
  • All held in place with plastic snow fencing stretched across the face & bunjeed around the back

It is absolutely quiet, & will stop anything I own as close as 10 yards

(I have not tried point blank range)

This includes my Sumatra 25 cal, on medium power, pushing JSB 33.9 in the 900's

(Thank you Mr Piatt)

Ed

5thumbs

You are correct!

The foam evens out the clothes layer and keeps it in place.

It's the perishable part of the trap

The snow fence holds in the foam, and also provides a way to clip up targets

You can use any foam, quite frankly

I used one layer of this only because we had some left over from a theatrical project (before retiring....amen!)

https://www.amazon.com/Upholstery-Density-Cushion-Wheelchair-Replacement/dp/B07WVRDDHH/ref=sr_1_107?dchild=1&keywords=1+inch+foam+padding&qid=1590630862&sr=8-107

Same is true for the fencing.

I used what was left over from a garden project

Anything similar will work, as long as it is not stretchy, & is strong enough to take some modest bunjee tension

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BOEN-4-ft-H-x-100-ft-W-Green-Plastic-Safety-Garden-Netting-Above-Ground-Barrier-Snow-Fence-Temporary-Fencing-Pack-of-2-SF-41012/312429118

For me the bonus (after quiet) is that clearing pellets is simply a matter of unrolling and shaking out the clothes.vs, sifting through plastic mulch.

Hope this helps

Ed

Silent Squirrel, THanks! I'm intrigued. Perhaps the thick foam keeps things extra quiet by dampening the sound. Will be trying this soon.

5 thumbs

Please post how it works for you

Also interested in any improvements/modifications you make

As soon as my urban backstop is built I'll be making more traps to place at various yardage.

Ed

I use rubber mulch in a cardboard box exclusively. It is extremely quiet and effective. If you want a pellet trap quieter than that, then you're probably shooting someplace where you shouldn't be shooting anyways due to some sort of shooting or hunting restriction, or a noise ordinance. I shoot my rifle in an urban setting. I quiet down the gun with a DonnyFL Ronin suppressor, and I shoot into the cardboard box filled with mulch. The though of the impact of the slug in the mulch has never crossed my mind. Reason being, it's so quiet. Plus you get to recover all your lead. 

Use the box and mulch. It's cheap, effective, and extremely quiet. It's hands down the best urban pellet trap. 

download.png
1591665910_19014373085edee4f638daa7.25102393.jpg

1591666012_17958374155edee55c32a1c6.79358480.jpg
1591666012_7337218325edee55c50f151.55695422.jpg

They used to sell these but the plans are attached so you can make it cheap from materials at Home Depot and then go buy the duct seal and it is quiet easy to carry.

Reactions: Tonio