• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quiet Down The Hatsan QE System On A Budget

Quiet Down The Hatsan QE System On A Budget

I am sure many of you have tried this, but for those who have tried this, what are your thoughts? Others who have seen it yet haven't tried it and curious, or those who don't even know about it...

One thing I think we can all agree on, well two things, one: airguns are just freaking awesome these days, and two: airgunning is an expensive hobby. Moderators are a big thing this past year, but holy smokes you need deep pockets if you're throwing them on a collection of guns, or even one gun for the price of one for a lot of us. I personally have a few Hatsan .25 cal rifles, I like the price and they are powerful and accurate hunting rifles. The QE system on these guns works pretty well on the guns I have, but it would be nice if they were even quieter, but I can't simply justify the price when a moderator of nice quality costs as much as the gun itself, and the reason I have budget guns is that this stuff is expensive, at least for me. So, I'll shut up the yappin' I got one of these for about $40 total including S & H and taxes, and I'm liking it...

https://youtu.be/Y84tcHXSJTA

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Just get the baffles from a .177 QE. My .25 had much bigger thru holes in the felt holders then my .177. The .177 were still plenty big enough for the .25 pellets so I switched them out. I have also 3d printed some baffles for it. I did mine free at library, but they are closed right now. If you have access to 3d printer I think I still have the stl files on my drive.

Here's the different in the baffles I made up vs the stock .25 QE inserts. I originally made the long orange ones with a flat end in different lengths. Then I made the shorter baffle. You can just print several of the smaller ones (don't remember how many it takes) and fill the entire end. Or you can experiment with different lengths of the flat ended ones. Most of the LDC makers agree that using 3 different size chambers usually works best.

1588516399_6720545245eaed62f08f251.67844568.JPG
1588516399_17843924615eaed62f84a058.09165691.JPG

If anyone else wants the stl's just pm me with an email address to send them to.

I posted this the other day. I have done five rifles now. It will make the entire shooting cycle smoother and quieter. My Hatsan Carnivore .30 was quite before and now its even quieter than before.

SOFT BEDDING 

So get yourself some 1/8th-inch thick Neoprene. The Adhesive backed kind
What I do is float the metal off the wood. I use scissors a box cutter and straight edge and a protector for curves to cut the material. 
Peel paper off sticky back. Place strips in bedding so there's a small area up from drop-off edge. It will smash and fill the gap. 
I line the wood everywhere metal contacts the wood. Your bed for you action is finished.
It's time to install the action into the stock.
I use a "C" clamp and two lengths pine to get front stock screws down enough to start since they are now sitting on 1/8" of neoprene material make sure the screws are aligned so you don't strip the them. Start front stock screw holes first. Then do trigger guard screws.

Note: I get washers that fix the stock screws and recessed holes in the stock they give the screw more contact area and don't damage wood.

After you install the stock.

1. Tighten all screws tight
2. Let sit 12 hours or so
3. Second day Tighten Again that afternoont tighten the screws again — shoot 20 or 30 times
5. Day three — Tighten again — DONE! 
6. Periodically test screw tightness but they seem to stay tight do to the extra tension on them.

Now you have a soft bedded air rifle that will shoot softer. be quieter more that likely increase the accuracy. And the stock screws stay tight. I also believe it will help cushion optics from recoil. 

I posted this the other day. I have done five rifles now. It will make the entire shooting cycle smoother and quieter. My Hatsan Carnivore .30 was quite before and now its even quieter than before.

SOFT BEDDING 

So get yourself some 1/8th-inch thick Neoprene. The Adhesive backed kind
What I do is float the metal off the wood. I use scissors a box cutter and straight edge and a protector for curves to cut the material. 
Peel paper off sticky back. Place strips in bedding so there's a small area up from drop-off edge. It will smash and fill the gap. 
I line the wood everywhere metal contacts the wood. Your bed for you action is finished.
It's time to install the action into the stock.
I use a "C" clamp and two lengths pine to get front stock screws down enough to start since they are now sitting on 1/8" of neoprene material make sure the screws are aligned so you don't strip the them. Start front stock screw holes first. Then do trigger guard screws.

Note: I get washers that fix the stock screws and recessed holes in the stock they give the screw more contact area and don't damage wood.

After you install the stock.

1. Tighten all screws tight
2. Let sit 12 hours or so
3. Second day Tighten Again that afternoont tighten the screws again — shoot 20 or 30 times
5. Day three — Tighten again — DONE! 
6. Periodically test screw tightness but they seem to stay tight do to the extra tension on them.

Now you have a soft bedded air rifle that will shoot softer. be quieter more that likely increase the accuracy. And the stock screws stay tight. I also believe it will help cushion optics from recoil.

Great write up, but that's not going to do anything for the shot cycle of that Hatsan Flash he is shooting. Will work on a springer or gas piston gun.

Iv'e spent many hours working this problem.

Iv'e probably tested...~15 configurations, mostly for the fun of it. I shoot in my backyard, so having my airgun as quiet as possible was really important. And I didn't want a second larger LDC hanging off my barrel.

The most important thing to reducing report is having maximal volume in the LDC, but we're limited with the QE shroud design. This is the final design I came up with. I'm an aerospace engineer by trade, so I ran this through some basic CFD for a pseudo optimization. I compared it with many different styles including the mass conical baffle approach in the original post, but this design I found in testing to be by far the most effective. I shoot it out of a .22 Flash and it is very quiet- the difference from the OEM system is pretty astonishing.

1588615561_19717570975eb05989b42746.70540989.PNG

The design does incorporate a felt material (not shown) for flow damping.

I really made this for my own use, but if others out there are interested...PM me.

Iv'e probably tested...~15 configurations, mostly for the fun of it. I shoot in my backyard, so having my airgun as quiet as possible was really important. And I didn't want a second larger LDC hanging off my barrel.

The most important thing to reducing report is having maximal volume in the LDC, but we're limited with the QE shroud design. This is the final design I came up with. I'm an aerospace engineer by trade, so I ran this through some basic CFD for a pseudo optimization. I compared it with many different styles including the mass conical baffle approach in the original post, but this design I found in testing to be by far the most effective. I shoot it out of a .22 Flash and it is very quiet- the difference from the OEM system is pretty astonishing.

View attachment 88164

I really made this for my own use, but if others out there are interested...PM me.

Iv'e probably tested...~15 configurations, mostly for the fun of it. I shoot in my backyard, so having my airgun as quiet as possible was really important. And I didn't want a second larger LDC hanging off my barrel.

View attachment 88164

Im interested