• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quiet break barrel for urban squirrel invasion?

My bro has an invasion on his hands, and asked about quiet break barrels with good iron sights, with the option of adding a scope later. He has a small yard, max shot might be 15-20 yds

I know zero about break barrels, I’m strictly PCP.

he said his budget was a “few hundred dollars”, so lets say 300-400 bucks.

thanks for any suggestions!

Maybe my definition of urban is different than other posters, or maybe you guys have more experience than me. A powerful springer with other houses around with a 15 to 20 yard shot requirement just seems over kill, and instead screams low power and .177 to me. But again I don't have a lot of experience with rifles that can punch through privacy fences and other mishaps when the individual misses.

HW30S Urban pro in .177

wei-hw30s177urbpro-1.1599345330.png

I use Gamo Swarm Fox's multi shot break barrels in both .22 and .177. My target zone is about the same, 3-35 yards. Killed several over 35 ounces this spring.Our 2nd season comes again in October. The .22 throws a 14gr/16 gr pellet at 630 ffps and the .177 shoots a 8 gr at 880 fps, a 9.6 at 830 fps. Both Gamo's are quieter than my old Diana 34.

Foxs.1599345976.jpg

heavy.1599345987.jpg

Target Zone Alpha. The feeder is 10 yards, the next tree bush is 18 yards, the Oleander?Mexican palm is about 38 yards.

baiter.1599346081.jpg

Full tuned X12 from Flying Dragon shooting wadcutters minimize pass thru, fixed power 4X on top if you want.

Thats not a bad idea. I prefer more FPE for squirrel, but a fully tune flying dragon xs25 might be great. Mine was around 16fpe. And I didnt try wadcutters in it, but wonder if Mike could tune it to arou d 12fpe or so? But that is a very good idea indeed!

If he could detune the xs25 with bamboo stock, then the in your hands shooting price for a tuned gun is around $185 for the bamboo xs25..

If you want to take a chance and either of you are handy unafraid DIY type of repair type of guys then there's the ATI Nova Freedom for $100 plus shipping direct from ATI more than likely the pump seal needs replacing or just use a fill probe with male foster machined in ask for it with the gun at the time of purchase over the phone ask to cherry pick one that's only issue is pump. Redo the shroud internals with hair curlers and scotch bride and back the power down. It already has open sights unlike the Seneca Aspen cousin. Worst case scenario buy a cheap Chinese hand pump to shoot it every 5-10 times or more if you back the power down if you don't want to fix the built in gun pump.