• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quiet and Accurate .177 Break Barrel

Intenseaty has given good advice, as have some others. You specifically mention neighbors so I would also say stay with .177 but I have no exprerince with the HW's mentioned. Those pictured sure look great though.

I took a great many rabbits and squirrels with low powered open sighted .177 break barrels in the 60's and 70's. If your eyes are good, those rifles noted should do fine for your described needs.

1592995522_13827448745ef32ec2cb8841.12952497.png

I ended up going with the Weihrauch HW50S Hunter .177 from AGoA. Got some JSB Exact .177 Pellets in 8.44 gr.

I will do some target practice to see if I am good enough to guarantee headshots. I’ll let you guys know.

Thanks for everything!

If those pellets don't perform well enough, try the 7 gr. range and 10 gr. range pellets from JSB and/or AA. Accuracy might be noticeably different with the different pellets (or might not).

Good deal! Congrats!! Definitely want to know how things work out for ya.

I’ll be sure to chime back in after some time with the gun.

Just a little more background - these damn squirrels are taking over our backyard. I used a shop vac to vacuum up some bird seed and left it out back overnight. Those little jerks ate the shop vac!! Tons of little pieces of plastic all over the place.

They’ve chewed into the side of the deck, tearing some paint off and eating into the wood. They also knocked down the $80 “squirrel-proof” bird feeder and the seeds spilled all over the ground.

They are getting more ballsy and destructive each day, so they must be dealt with!!

Well it seems like I’m too late, but either an HW30 or an HW50 would have been my recommendation. And if power on a squirrel, iverpenetration concerns, and short range are in the equation, I would have said go .22 caliber on either one. Should both be plenty out to 25 yards and either one in .22 caliber would offer a little more damage to the target as well as limit your overpenetration possibilities.

Are the scopes that come on the AoA HW guns any good? That urban pro looks sweet, but reading on a thread about moderators they don't do much as there are a variety of other noises coming from the gun.

This review gives you a pretty good idea. He tests the sound levels with a decibel meter at around the 14 minute mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpzkdXCLu8

Are the scopes that come on the AoA HW guns any good? That urban pro looks sweet, but reading on a thread about moderators they don't do much as there are a variety of other noises coming from the gun.

This review gives you a pretty good idea. He tests the sound levels with a decibel meter at around the 14 minute mark.

Thanks for the link! It does look like a pretty ideal gun for what I need, but am curious if a fixed length scope is what I want, or if a 3-9 might be better for me. 

Update... I received my air rifle earlier today.

I installed the scope and then spent about an hour sighting it in, making sure I could hit the bullseye from 30 feet. I ventured into my backyard and promptly killed two of those little buggers. Two headshots for two kills; very quick deaths and virtually zero suffering. I don't like it, but it has to be done. There are probably at least three more of them that I need to get, but it appears to be quite easy so it shouldn't take very long.

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. I'm happy with my purchase and it's getting the job done very nicely.