• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quiet and Accurate .177 Break Barrel

Hi everyone,

New here and just had a quick question (which I’m sure you get a lot).

I would like to purchase a quiet, accurate, and reliable .177 caliber break barrel air rifle for squirrel hunting in my back yard. Quiet is key, as I don’t want to disturb my neighbors.

I will be shooting from relatively close range, often less than 10 yards. Over penetration is also a concern, since I may have to fire towards my deck.

I would like to spend around $500 or less, but am willing to spend up to $1000 if I’m just going to get junk for around $500.

Thanks everyone!

All good, we all started there! From what I'm gathering sound and over-penetration are your main concerns. 0.177 can definitely do the job on squirrels, but you'll have to be mindful of your shot placement. Unfortunately, springers is an area I don't have much experience with. I can recommend some CO2 guns though. I personally started out on a Crosman 2240 in 177 and then got an aftermarket moderator to help with the noise and that worked well for years.

HW30s Urban Pro just over $500 probably be the quietest Springer you will find other than a used FWB300s when it comes to springers in the $500 price range that are of the highest levels of quality (both German made) and shooter satisfaction. I have both and they are surprisingly very quiet if noise is of great concern. I thought spending just over $500 for an HW30s was rather crazy until I shot it. Spent the extra specifically for that silencer. The laminate stock sure adds a nice touch to it as well. Probably put a smile on your face every time you shoot it. 

HW95 for hunting is hard to beat. I just put these 3 .177 Hades into this diana at 25 yards. That’s good enough for a head shot on a squirrel. That’s shooting at just sub 12fpe. Not a bad looking gun either. 
1592955059_9422746645ef290b3be1580.84791301.jpg

1592955140_19948168605ef291043e0f54.85897448.jpeg

If you are hunting at short distances and looking for a high quality package for the job the HW30 Urban Pro in 177 would be hard to beat. For accuracy good quality pellets are as important as a good quality rifle. I recommend starting with the JSB 7.87 or 8.44 as they are almost guaranteed to be accurate out of an HW, although other pellets may prove to be accurate as well. I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect a clean kill without risk of a pass through on a squirrel. And there is always the chance of a miss, so be aware of what is behind your target, just like you would with a firearm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpzkdXCLu8

Would the HW30 and the HW95 be equally sufficient for killing a squirrel with a clean headshot? I read a bit and saw that the HW30 generates significantly less FPS, but that would probably be good for me and my concern about over penetration, huh?

Is a scope really necessary for me with my short distance requirements? I’m pretty good with iron sights. I guess I’ll just have to try some target shooting before putting this to the real test. The last thing I want is to injure a squirrel and have to chase it to finish it off.

The Urban Pro from AGoA looks very nice, but I’m guessing that I’m paying a premium for that nice scope, which may be overkill for my situation. I wonder how much it would be to just grab the HW30 and put that suppressor onto it.

Thanks for all the help, guys... this seems like a great community.

Chris

I have that HW50s Hunter in 177 too and no longer shoot it because the HW30s Laminate Urban Pro 177 I recently got is way easier to hit the mark effortlessly without having to try hard plus there's a very noticeable difference in cocking effort. I can easily get 0.20" groups at 20 yards all day long with the HW30s while I really have to try hard to get 0.35" at that same distance with the HW50s but maybe I'm a terrible shot IDK but have an easier time shooting my HW95. The cocking is noticeably harder too night and day. I never shoot it any more after I got my Laminate HW30s Urban Pro. The HW50s does have more power no doubt but that may end your quest for at least one of your criterias. It is louder than the HW30s night and day too so thats makes two. 

After a bit more research, I’m kinda worried about going with the HW30 for killing squirrels. I would rather have a bit more noise and ensure a kill than a injuring the pesky varmints with a quieter rifle. This thread, specifically, did not sit well with me...

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/hanging-up-the-hw30s-for-squirrel-duty/

The HW50 seems like the way to go, but I’m worried about Why’s comments regarding the accuracy of that rifle.

To me the HW50s seems hold sensitive as compared to the HW30s. I personally think the lower power could actually be more lethal on a squirrel at 10 to 15 yards than a gun that would easily do a pass through. If not he would probably DIE of internal tissue hemorrhage and massive blood loss and lead poisoning and most of all the shock factor rather than scurry away from a clean pass through that he doesn't even realize what just happened.