Quick Evening Hunt - Got Him!!

I had about an hour or so this evening after work. I almost didn’t go until I checked the forecast and noticed a chance for rain in the morning. I headed to one of my regular hunting grounds in search of an elusive squirrel I’ve been after for about a month. 

Walked briskly to the area, picked out my spot, kneeled down, and waited. After about a half-hour of perfect calm except infrequent noise from vehicle traffic on distant roads, faint chatter from nearby residents talking outdoors, and occasional crow cawing I heard that rustling in the fallen leaves I’d been waiting on. 

Below is a panoramic view from my stakeout spot.

77C71D46-900F-4E44-A1F3-EA77BAFB95C0.1641600207.jpeg

I aimed my binos in the direction of the noise but saw nothing. Now my heart is pumping a little as the noise grows louder. Not long after the shuffling stops abruptly, I’ll be damned if this nutter didn’t run up the embankment and jump onto a tree trunk about 10-12 yards in front of me. He was checking me out and I slowly shouldered then leveled my .25 Lelya 2.0 at him. As I started to adjust my parallax knob my nutty buddy jumped off the tree trunk and scampered off. I started to try and stalk it but I knew I that I didn’t have time to play that game so I stayed put, listened, and tried to catch it in my binos. But to no avail, I was too high up on the other side of the creek to see where he was. It sounded as if he was moving away again and I began to look further in the distance to see if I could locate the direction he was running. Then I caught him through my peripheral outside of my binos in my left eye. He took to an oak tree trunk about 20 yards out straight ahead!! This time I leveled my rifle lined up my reticle on 5x magnification, tried adjusting the parallax on the fly just before taking my shot. Because of the low magnification I had no idea if I was in the ballpark with the parallax, but I knew he wasn’t getting away today. I caught him on the oak tree trunk, aimed for a shoulder, and let it fly. I heard the “thunk” of a body shot and knew he was hit, but he jumped around and repositioned himself. I almost second guessed the hit. I cocked her again and aimed for that shoulder without thinking about it and *ping* I let another shot off, then “thunk.” I heard another body shot hit and this time he did that familiar slow fall backwards off the trunk, but I couldn’t see where he fell. I honestly can’t recall if I was kneeling or shooting offhand. I think they were offhand shots because I recall standing up to try to see him in the binos after it jumped off of the first tree. 

I took the photo below as I walked down to retrieve the carcass. This is the oak tree he was shot off of.
D317DA6D-7D00-4A4C-B6AD-CB6D99EDBAF3.1641600572.jpeg

After he fell I sat still and listened. I heard rustling in the leaves for around approximately 5-10 seconds and then nothing. I started to retrieve him, took a step, but decided to wait a few minutes to see if another would show up. After about 15 minutes passed I stood back up and headed over to where he’d fallen. I honestly didn’t realize he fell into the creek bed, just missing the trickle of the stream flowing through it. Below is a photo of where he fell before moving him. I decided to call it an evening after about 45 minutes out so I had time to clean him before the sun finished setting. 
25418F4D-5168-4DC9-8BB6-E39108581F38.1641600714.jpeg

While cleaning him I noticed that he had fleas. Upon examining the flesh below the skin I saw that the first shot was a little low, but the second cut into his pulmonary system. When I gutted him and examined his internals I saw the familiar dark blood and blood clots in the thoracic cavity. I also noticed blood coming from his nose. There were also two strange looking fat, white, coiled, snail shaped glands that were swollen on both sides of his anus. I’d read about these and heard them discussed in YouTube videos. Someone said they were scent glands. This was my first time seeing them. I just cut them off and tossed them out with the offal. I guess that’s something that occurs during mating season. Edited to add link on 05/18/2022 In the following link I found and posted information concerning the glands around the anus https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-prod-and-the-fox-squirrel/?referrer=1 They are called Cowper's Glands.
BB2A5D44-474C-4905-BE87-FF29698F40E1.1641601150.jpeg

Both shots passed through the other side sort of parallel with the entry wounds. 

Reactions: JamesD.
Great story and pics. But here is my question. What did he do to you? We’re you after this guy personally or just any squirrel? How did you know it was him? lol

@crittahitta He dodged my previous attempts to shoot him. I really don’t know if it was him other than the fact that I’ve observed a certain path taken during a certain time of the day and would only see one squirrel in this area. The path leads to a few dreys. I concluded that this could possibly be that squirrel. I may never be certain, but I’ll revisit the area to see if any others pass through using the same path around the same time of day.

I specifically went out this evening to this particular location to hunt a specific squirrel. This patch of woods isn’t crawling with squirrels. They’re spaced out as if they have territories established. Plus this of section of the woods is under the territory of a hawk that I’ve seen many times hunting here. 

Excellent write up and autopsy, great way for you to cap your evening.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Yes extremely well written and perfect shot.

Close enough for me. Thank you for the compliment and taking the time to read it. 

Nice hunt, shots and photos! Your Leyla is the perfect woods walking PCP.

Thanks. It is an effective tool for small game in the woods. I’m still practicing with it trying to figure some things out. I’ll probably be working with it throughout the year. There’s a few things I’d like to try and accomplish. 

Fine evening hunting trip. Nice shooting. Great story too. Almost felt like I was there in the woods... In the jungle... And "Squirrel-ie" was in the trees!

I enjoyed it. I had it in mind that I would hunt and bag a particular squirrel this evening and I believe that’s what happened, but I can’t be too sure just yet. Realistically I may never know. Thanks for taking time to read and comment on the post. 

Excellent.

And the recipe?.

Thank you. Which recipe are you referring to?

Nice shooting man.

Thanks Ivan. 

@ezana4ce thanks for the write up and detailed descriptions

Most definitely. Thank you for taking the time to read it. 

To echo what everyone else already said, great post and congrats on the score!

I appreciate it. 

Good job my friend......nothing better than a good afternoon in the woods squirrel hunting.

Yes, time well spent. I’m glad I went out. I didn’t see any activity today and when the thunder started I came indoors.

How you cooked it up.

If you did.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. You asked about a recipe out of nowhere. When you said “And the recipe?” I read that as if someone had been discussing one in the thread and got a little confused. 

The one I killed in this thread is currently in the freezer. I try to eat the ones that have been in the freezer longest first. That’s probably number 15 or so for the year season, second one I bagged this year. I’ve only eaten 6-7 so far. Here’s some squirrel in gravy. 
F18D0503-6742-4A13-8D3C-34749FA6758F.1641737484.jpeg

I cut up the squirrels and some onions, browned and seasoned them in another skillet adding a touch of garlic. Then I added the meat to the gravy and replaced the lid.

Here’s the meat as I butchered it. I didn’t follow a recipe to cook the meat. I cooked it to taste. 

2C8542B4-82F5-4F0A-B8E9-920F7AE4452D.1641737865.jpeg

Here’s the gravy. I used a whisk to stir it to keep it from getting lumpy. 
E52C0877-7B71-4B5C-AB8D-AD0AFA021403.1641738253.jpeg

The link below is a southern white gravy recipe. I’m not sure if I used that recipe or another. I have a few that are pretty similar. I cooked it in the above skillet stirring frequently then set it on low heat and covered with a lid stirring occasionally. https://thebutcherswife.blog/easy-white-country-gravy/

That's three times in three days I have read/seen "white gravy", eerie,

gravy here in the UK is generally brown and made with the juices of roasted meat.

US style southern white gravy, squirrel and US biscuits are a treat I will need to try.

Thanks for showing.

Good luck.

Wait until you try egg gravy or tomato gravy and cat head biscuits. 😁 I bet you have to google that!

So I revisited this area again this evening and boy did I get schooled. Not only am I in doubt about bagging the squirrel I was looking for, but I saw two and heard about three others that I didn’t even see. I didn’t get a shot off. It’s like they were working together. I heard them moving in all directions, in front, on both sides, and behind me. I was posted at the edge of the creek bottom. One came out of a tree across the creek in front of me and I lost it behind brush and saplings. Another spotted me and started barking. (S)he cleared out the woods. I was trying to glass the trees to find it and couldn’t until it hit the ground. By that time I ranged it at about 50 yards out and didn’t have a clear shot. They have great eyesight because these were low light conditions. I learned some things today. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy myself.