Questions on the air arms tx200 mk3

Hello everyone,

After much time I'm considering saving up for an air arms tx200 mk3. It seems to be a really beautifully made air rifle with excellent performance. However while reading about it, I stumbled across some threads on GTA and some British forums where people have reported various issues with the tx200

1. One of them (the most frequent of them) is that the safety is not always engaging when the gun is cocked.

2. Another one is that the anti bear trap is not always working correctly... and thus blocks the cocking lever from going back up.

3. The little rubber buffer in the shroud that prevents direct contact between the shroud and the cocking lever breaks off easily.

[/LIST=1]

Most of these issues were reported in pretty old threads (the most recent one I found was from 2014).

While some of the issues had to do with user error (i.e; the anti bear trap blocking the cocking lever because the user didn't cock the rifle all the way back), some others have been quite prevalent on the tx200 over the years (like the safety not engaging properly on some models).

I just wanted to ask, have these issues been sorted out in some way? Does the safety issue have to do with user error and doesn't have to be fixed or has it been an issue that air arms has sorted out?

At first I was quite sure about the rifle but after reading about some of these issues I am quite sceptical/hesitant about it especially considering that it's a really expensive piece (the beechwood runs for about 750 and the walnut version for about 825 €).

Any input/knowledge on these issue would be more than welcome...

Thanks in advance,

Stay safe out there!!!
Hello, as for # 1 and 2, I think solved and that's highly unusual, you should contact Air Arms immediately. As for # 3, yes, happens to all of them including mine. Get 2 n# 9 O-rings and install over the (2) grooves at the end of your cocking lever. Even looks nice.

I just got mine. Less than 100 rounds thru it. Currently my safety only engages when I forcefully cock it. The bear trap is still finicky and sometimes I have to apply a little pressure on the cocking arm to disengage the bear trap.

I spoke to Steve at AEAC, and he said he experienced the same problems initially, then after a few hundred shots neither were an issue again. He attributed it to a regular break in period for springers.

My trigger is awesome and everything else is simply exquisite.

View attachment 183797

Just done a short stroke modification to my .177 Prosport but would also suit tx200mk3 only recently got the gun but spring very twangy so decided to give it a going over, it’s second hand but nice condition.
Made piston extension spring guide and top hat out of Nylatron . The piston extension with an O’ring fitted and instead of screwing it on I turned the vee with a bit of a lead in angle to fit onto the compression piston I also put sawcut four required to allow the extension to flex and fit over locator which I put a slight radius to take sharp edge andheatedthe extension in boiling water and with a smat smack
With my knockometer the extension fitted great, I did put on a little silicon on to help
Now it’s fitted along with all the other parts o’ring fitted as well as new breech seals
And the gun is shooting lovely, smoothed the action with no twang and faster by the feel of it cycle. Extension measures 17.5mm long, I did the modification after seeing a guy had done this in the UK, he used screws to secure extension but I didn’t fancy
That method. I can recommend what he has done.
Just zero at 35yards and a pleasure to shoot 6 holes within half inch with jsb 10.3
Feels like a different gun.
Trigger had a bit of sideways wobble but shimmed that so I have an older Prosport but it’s doing the job.

47DCFF21-6D6A-4CF0-BB70-99756E41602B.jpeg

504B4F6F-4E22-438B-93C9-5B470A14192B.jpeg

9807B3EB-284C-4A15-A13A-C29BBB89B1F1.jpeg

Didn’t really know best place to show this Modification but hope it will be useful for someone. Someone might suggest better position for post.
Thanks, that is good info. What guy in the UK did the mods you were talking about? Was it Timbum? I put a Tinbum kit in my MkIII a while back, with a bit of an extention. Seems to work okay.

nbroardsman is where I found the info he has a few air rifle tips on his site.
I just typed in nbroardsman TX200 but page I read was from address below.
My mod is going very good, short stroking has reduced it to 11.25 ft/lb
But very nice to shoot I’m using jsb 10.3 in the Prosport, could increase power but so nice as is.
He used oilon nylon I used Nylatron, total cost for modification was about $14NZ to have a buzzy rifle made good, I must get around to trying different weight pellets but happy with things at the moment I don’t think I can improve accuracy as I’m the weak link. Thumb nail groups at 55yards and I’m only
Getting used to this gun.
Had airarms s410 and s500 pcps but I prefer a grab and go springer and the Prosport is perfect for my needs, the only scope I had laying around was a
Nikon p22 2-7 rimfire scope but it’s doing the job nicely. Prosport is second hand but good condition in beech.

Last edited: