Questions on the air arms tx200 mk3

I stand corrected. I have had this one long enough it was a PG3 kit.
7A6F2C3E-B39F-4DC9-A6A0-6FDECACCA962.1638935086.jpeg

I just went and checked my ProSport, which I shot earlier today. It does have some lateral play in it. I didn't realize that until you mentioned it. So then I started checking Beeman triggers in the house. I have ten. They all have about the same amount of play. It is definitely something I haven't noticed ever before, so I would call it a tiny amount on any of them. Bottom line is, I don't care what product it is, if you sell enough of them, someone will have a problem. I have my own opinion on the subject, but I don't think you can really go wrong with the TX or the HW. You could get either with a problem. If its defective, a good shop will make it right. If you don't like the feel of it, crack it open and correct it. That is half the fun of these things.

I just went and checked my ProSport, which I shot earlier today. It does have some lateral play in it. I didn't realize that until you mentioned it. So then I started checking Beeman triggers in the house. I have ten. They all have about the same amount of play. It is definitely something I haven't noticed ever before, so I would call it a tiny amount on any of them. Bottom line is, I don't care what product it is, if you sell enough of them, someone will have a problem. I have my own opinion on the subject, but I don't think you can really go wrong with the TX or the HW. You could get either with a problem. If its defective, a good shop will make it right. If you don't like the feel of it, crack it open and correct it. That is half the fun of these things.

Then this means that a bit of play will always be present... Truth be told if there wasn't a bit of play and the trigger was held into it's "block" then resetting back after pulling it would be a bit hard... 

I have owned numerous air rifles over the years, never owned one that was perfect out of the box, probably no one else has either. These are production made items so there will be some things that need to be fine tuned ir adjusted to suit the new owners needs and wants. The nice part about the TX200 is, it is so easy to work/adjust on the rifle. Unless youvare very tall, the stock fit seems to get really high marks from owners. No matter how well the rifle shoots, it must fit you correctly or that accuracy will mean nothing!! You really need to get out somewhere and try those rifles that you are interested in, and see which one you are most comfortable with.

Years back I competed with an HW 77, it was very accurate and consistant, I won many natches with it. Along came the TX200, out of the box it was not as accurate or consistant as my custom tuned HW77, however.....I could shoot it better because the stock fit me better and I could more easily repeat my hold and the balance was much better on that MK1. I sold the HW and spent the next 6 months getting the TX fine tuned to suit my needs. Once we became one, that rifle was almost unbeatable..it was easy to shoot, I could repeat my hold with ease and was perfectly balanced for those pesky offhand shots. My newer MK 3 is a great rifle but not as good as my original MK1 just because of fit and balance, nothing to do with the mechanics. If you dont actually try out a rifle then any purchase you make will be a crapshoot !!!

I see!!! Really nice groups there!! Laser like accurate!!!

Thing is... Is the trigger side to side wobble a common issue?.. I have only managed to find two three reports two come from here and one comes from GTA...

I had trigger wobble on my 2019 TX200HC UK model. I replaced it with a Rowan trigger with no wobble. The over sized hole on the original trigger caused the wobble. Shimming will fix it.

I see!!! Really nice groups there!! Laser like accurate!!!

Thing is... Is the trigger side to side wobble a common issue?.. I have only managed to find two three reports two come from here and one comes from GTA...

I had trigger wobble on my 2019 TX200HC UK model. I replaced it with a Rowan trigger with no wobble. The over sized hole on the original trigger caused the wobble. Shimming will fix it.

So.. the problem was because of looser tolerances than what was on spec in terms of the trigger... Thing is, from what was said above all rifles no matter the brand can have triggers with a bit of lateral play... The trigger hole might be oversized on some models but I don't think that this is the "rule"... this has to be the exception...

You seem to really like the TX200 and I'm not going to criticize you for it. Why? Because I also own one, and it has been with me for 13 years and shoots even better than when it was new. If I am to give a "conservative" number of rounds that have gone through it that number is 90,000. To date, my TX has gone through about six mainsprings and several piston seals. Three of the springs prematurely broke because of accidental dry fires, but despite that, it is testament to the TX200's robustness, aside from its beautiful finish and solid build quality. And I'm sure you've heard from many that it's so easy to strip and service.

The problem with the TX200 having cocking issues is due to the cocking arm, as it goes through numerous cocking cycles, wearing in. Continuous cycling will loosen the linkages and as a result a particular area of the arm will begin making contact with the U-shaped bracket that holds the action and stock together, making the gun short from completing the cocking stroke. You would then have to forcefully shove the lever downward to get the gun to cock and engage the safety, which should not be the case. Here is a link to a post that I contributed to in an attempt to help a member here resolve the issue: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/tx-200-cocking-problem/#post-450029 

With respect to the contact points in the photo in the provided link, Air Arms should provide for greater clearance between the U-shaped bracket and region of the cocking arm that starts to contact it (bracket) so that when the gun breaks in and the linkages start to loosen a bit the cocking issue won't occur. 

Having said the above, however, I think you can't go wrong with the TX200. Good luck in your decision. 

Great info, I had forgotten all about that issue. I found that on earlier models and just assumed it had been fixed as I had not saw that issue again for msny years after. Sure is nice to have older material on hand for reference causevwe cant remember everything...at least I cant !!

For those who have to excessively shove the cocking lever just to cock the TX and engage the safety, I strongly recommend you refrain from further operation until the lever issue to which I pointed out above has been checked. Repeated excessive force downwards will crack the U-shaped bracket---take this as a warning as it had happened to two brackets in my TX until I really found out that such was the cause.

Great info, I had forgotten all about that issue. I found that on earlier models and just assumed it had been fixed as I had not saw that issue again for msny years after. Sure is nice to have older material on hand for reference causevwe cant remember everything...at least I cant !!

For those who have to excessively shove the cocking lever just to cock the TX and engage the safety, I strongly recommend you refrain from further operation until the lever issue to which I pointed out above has been checked. Repeated excessive force downwards will crack the U-shaped bracket---take this as a warning as it had happened to two brackets in my TX until I really found out that such was the cause.

The question I have is; how frequent/prevalent is the issue with the cocking arm? Is it present on just some guns or is it something that will eventually happen over time? If so, how many shots could go through the gun before the occurrence of the issue? Is it going to be years or months or days of operation?

And is that also the case with the hw97k?

The question I have is; how frequent/prevalent is the issue with the cocking arm? Is it present on just some guns or is it something that will eventually happen over time? If so, how many shots could go through the gun before the occurrence of the issue? Is it going to be years or months or days of operation?

And is that also the case with the hw97k?

It might or might never be an issue for some, but when it occurs the fix is simple---all that's required is to remove the cocking arm and file down the contact point(s) to remove some material so as to provide clearance from it and the U-shaped bracket. 

I've never owned a HW97K, so I can't provide any information on it, but I'm sure it's also a quality springer.

Another complaint about the TX200 is the ratchet sound of the bear trap safety mechanism. To get rid of it is also very simple. In my case, I just placed a small piece of weed eater line as a shim to keep the bear trap lever always open. This eliminates the ratchet sound and I no longer have to press the lever every time I have to bring the cocking lever back to its closed position. Of course, I'd always have to hold the lever when cocked when inserting a pellet, which is what any springer shooter should do anyway as a safety precaution.

Apart from any other minor niggles, I think the TX200 is as accurate as any PCP. Don't let any opinions, reviews, or comments fool you into thinking that it---or any springer in general---isn't. Anyone saying that a springer cannot rival the accuracy found on the best PCPs hasn't yet "truly and fully" mastered how to shoot it. Examples of really good springer shooters are the two guys of VerminHuntersTV (on YouTube); both Si Pittaway and his partner Davy are very skilled springer shooters and show that springers are just as accurate as PCPs. In my case, I practice shooting the very tips of palm leaves (about 2 - 3 millimeters in size) at 46 yards away with my TX ... and my PCPs also.

Cheers!

Since you have a prosport... how do you like the rifle?? How well does the hidden/tucked away under-lever system works?? 

Another complaint about the TX200 is the ratchet sound of the bear trap safety mechanism. To get rid of it is also very simple. In my case, I just placed a small piece of weed eater line as a shim to keep the bear trap lever always open. This eliminates the ratchet sound and I no longer have to press the lever every time I have to bring the cocking lever back to its closed position. Of course, I'd always have to hold the lever when cocked when inserting a pellet, which is what any springer shooter should do anyway as a safety precaution.

Apart from any other minor niggles, I think the TX200 is as accurate as any PCP. Don't let any opinions, reviews, or comments fool you into thinking that it---or any springer in general---isn't. Anyone saying that a springer cannot rival the accuracy found on the best PCPs hasn't yet "truly and fully" mastered how to shoot it. Examples of really good springer shooters are the two guys of VerminHuntersTV (on YouTube); both Si Pittaway and his partner Davy are very skilled springer shooters and show that springers are just as accurate as PCPs. In my case, I practice shooting the very tips of palm leaves (about 2 - 3 millimeters in size) at 46 yards away with my TX ... and my PCPs also.

Cheers!

You are correct, a springer is harder to shoot but takes a lot more skill to shoot it well!! Reminds me of my two sons, years back they competed in FT matches with me. We did a lot of practising out in the backyard, I encouraged them to aim for small targets to challenge their shooting skills. My youngest was lighting kitchen matches at 20 yards lighting 3 out of 5 for almost an hour!! My older son smeared dog poop on a piece of cardboard at 20 yds and shot the flys when they landed, we could tell the hits from the blood and guts around the pellet hole!! The only advantage of a PCP is when shooting at distance, their smooth firing behavior gives them a real advantage beyond 40 plus yards. The springer gives much more satifaction when you develope the ability to shoot them well!

The only advantage of a PCP is when shooting at distance, their smooth firing behavior gives them a real advantage beyond 40 plus yards. The springer gives much more satifaction when you develope the ability to shoot them well!

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the statement above. A springer like a TX200 is as accurate as a PCP even beyond 40 yards, if you meant in terms of accuracy between them. In all the very many years of learning to shoot the TX200, I'll say that the journey to reaching a level of shooting precision with and mastery of it is the same as the journey that an athlete, musician, craftsman, etc. goes on to master his/her sport, craft, profession, trade, etc, for example. Constant training and practice are the key---like with anything else worth pursuing to be great at. It really is a fact that if you can shoot a springer accurately you can shoot anything the same.

Cheers!

Spinj....what you say is true, however the built in recoil of the TX works aganst us. Now if we compared a 12 fpe PCP to a 12. fpe TX it might ve more equal but to ve fair most pcp rifles are set to well over 12 fpe. I have been shooting a TX200 since early 90's when the first factory left hand model came into World Class air guns and Jerry sold that rifle to me. My son had one of the first SR models that came into this country. I made a business for setting up TX rifles. In theroy the TX should be the same to shoot, but recoil, no matter how little, still creates a disadvantage to shooting a springer. I still prefer a springer over a PCP, guess I like the challenge. From my years of shooting I can say this with confidence....a good spring gun shooter can shoot a pcp gun very well, however, not all pcp shooters can shoot a spring gun that well. That in itself shows that springers take more skill and effort to shoot well all due to that recoil factor. Recoil is less a factor in firearms because it takes place after the bullit leaves the barrel, but in a springer, the recoil is caused from the piston movement before the pellet leaves the barrel. No matter how much training and expertise you achieve the recoil factor will always be a deterent from shooting quite as accurately as a non recoiling pcp and the further the range the more critical the slight movement becomes. Oh well, at least we both agree shooting the TX is an awesome thing to do !!!!