• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Questions on New .22 Airgun

I've got a few airguns already, an old Benjamin .177 pump, Beeman R9 .177, HW50S .177 (I love this one) and a Red Rider BB gun that was my sons when he was a kid.
Anyway, looking for a good inexspensive .22 for backyard plinking and maybe some hunting.
A few I was looking at
Hatsan MOD 65 - Watched a video and the guy showed the pins in the trigger was bent and not recommended it.
Gamo Swarm Maxxim
Benjamin Durango.

I also looked at getting a PCP like the Hatsan Flashpup or Flash QE from Bass Pro or the Umarex Origin. Also don't know about Gas Pistons.

PCP is not inexpensive when you consider a pump / compressor .
Gas Piston is a good option they last a long long time , no spring twang .
You already have a great hunter pester HW50 and a R 9 why look any farther ?
Would the R9 kill a groundhog? Got some in the back, my neighbor said to shoot them if I can but I want to make sure I can get a clean kill or the least amount of suffering. I just went outside and shot a few inasive Joro Spiders, one with the HW50s and two with the R9. They were about 30 to 40 feet away andtook several shots on each. I used Norma Golden Trophy FT pellets I got from Academy. Oh, I got Hawke 3-9x40 scopes on both.

Would the R9 kill a groundhog? Got some in the back, my neighbor said to shoot them if I can but I want to make sure I can get a clean kill or the least amount of suffering. I just went outside and shot a few inasive Joro Spiders, one with the HW50s and two with the R9. They were about 30 to 40 feet away andtook several shots on each. I used Norma Golden Trophy FT pellets I got from Academy. Oh, I got Hawke 3-9x40 scopes on both.
It sure will. I've used my .22 97K to take them at 30yds. Side of the head between the eye and ear and they just drop. Take a second shot when you get up to them though. Sometimes they still have a little fight left in them. Better safe than sorry.

It sure will. I've used my .22 97K to take them at 30yds. Side of the head between the eye and ear and they just drop. Take a second shot when you get up to them though. Sometimes they still have a little fight left in them. Better safe than sorry.
I use to have a 97K in .20 with a Hawke 4-12x50 I belive. Sold it a few years ago for $150, scope and all. Should have kept it but the guy I loaned it to had it for several years and fell in love with it. He used it to squirrel and turkey hunt, he said it was very accurate.

Reactions: fishing43
I use to have a 97K in .20 with a Hawke 4-12x50 I belive. Sold it a few years ago for $150, scope and all. Should have kept it but the guy I loaned it to had it for several years and fell in love with it. He used it to squirrel and turkey hunt, he said it was very accurate.
You're a good friend. 20 is a great caliber choice for this power level. My HW95 is in .20 cal and I would use that for groundhogs too as it's nearly as accurate as my 97K is. Both will hold 1/2" at 25-30yds pretty much indefinitely. Basically until I screw up or I load a questionable pellet.

I have about a dozen great air rifles, a handful of them are budget friendly (Under $150.00) the rest are more expensive ($250.00 ~$700.00), all are good shooters after the cheap bundle scopes were replaced and the triggers were smoothed out, I have three Weirauch rifles, a HW-30 in .177, HW-95 in .22, and a HW-80K in .20 cal..
In my opinion your HW-95 in .177 cal. is all you need for Chucks and Gophers if you keep your shots at 35 yds. or under, of course your pellet choice will have allot to do with your guns effectiveness on those critters, that and shot placement.
Back some years ago we had a big ground hog that took his daily meals in our garden, attempts to drive him away were fruitless, one day my adult son was in his basement living room and spied the critter chomping on our veggies, it was standing in the garden about 20 yds from the outside entrance door to the room, we had an old and worn out RWS .177 air rifle at the time and my son slipped a pellet in the chamber, aimed at the thieving animal and shot him right through the screen door, the pellet took him in the chest, he topped over, kicked a few times and expired withing seconds of being shot, he shot another in the same way more recently with my Crosman Vantage NP in .177 with the same results.
Your HW-95 is allot more powerful and accurate than that old RWS beater my son used to dispatch that Ground hog, wanting a new rifle in a bigger caliber is as good an excuse as any, but for your needs at the moment what you have is all you need in my opinion.

Last edited:
The .177 R9 should be able to do it, be around 17fpe and flatter trajectory... Now if you want, you can get a .22 barrel for it. HW80k or HW98 barrel assemblies fit, probably more but am 100% sure those two do. I have a HW98 .22 barrel arriving on Monday from TWC for my .177 HW95, hardest part is figuring out how to swap the barrels with minimal fuss.

Diddy,
Lots of great replies, nice plus of being in the Nation. I support your interest in PCPs, recommend further research, including .25 caliber. Search "Hatsan" in the archives, best to review other's experiences, might save a future headache. Research PCPs in your price range, don't forget optics and air supply source, members can help with specific questions. Best of Luck, WM

The .177 R9 should be able to do it, be around 17fpe and flatter trajectory... Now if you want, you can get a .22 barrel for it. HW80k or HW98 barrel assemblies fit, probably more but am 100% sure those two do. I have a HW98 .22 barrel arriving on Monday from TWC for my .177 HW95, hardest part is figuring out how to swap the barrels with minimal fuss.
The barrel is always under spring tension. Whether it's from the detent or main spring. The only safe way to swap barrels on these guns is to remove the main spring.

I seen a .22 barrel on Pyramid Air several years ago and emailed them about it. They told me it wouldn't fit due to it being a different caliber
Just looked it up in my emails and here is a copy the reply.

"Good morning,

Unfortunately the Beeman R9 can't switch calibers. Really the only airguns on the market that can switch calibers is FX pre-charged pneumatics. Let us know if you have any questions and thank you."

I'll check out TWC, never heard of them but Googled it.

I seen a .22 barrel on Pyramid Air several years ago and emailed them about it. They told me it wouldn't fit due to it being a different caliber
Just looked it up in my emails and here is a copy the reply.

"Good morning,

Unfortunately the Beeman R9 can't switch calibers. Really the only airguns on the market that can switch calibers is FX pre-charged pneumatics. Let us know if you have any questions and thank you."

I'll check out TWC, never heard of them but Googled it.
Yeah that is incorrect. Its as easy as swapping the barrel to change calibers. The "hard" part is swapping the cocking arm to the new barrel. You have to drill out the one side of the rivet (one side is softer and meant to expand) and then tap it out and then install a new one. A vice and a couple ball bearings comes in handy here. I'm sure there's an actual tool for it but I'm not sure what it is. Some people re-use the rivet by not drilling it but I wasn't particularly happy with that when I tried so I just ordered a new one. I would actually recommend ordering a new arm and rivet so you can just have two complete assemblies when you're done.

The REALLY easy way to do it is to ask if anyone has a .22 barrel with the cocking arm in the classifieds. Then its just pop in and go.

Last edited:
I have several Hatsan’s. The 135QE is my favorite. I would not recommend any Hatsan without the Quattro trigger. The Quattro trigger can be tuned to an excellent weight. They are solid guns and without an equal at their price point. IMHO. You really do need to learn to work on your airguns, especially springers. And even more so on budget ones. The Hatsan 135 is a fabulous gun if gone through properly. The 22/25 caliber are the sweet spot on the 135’s. The features on this model at this price point are incredible. These are VERY large guns but have a balance that makes them easy to handle. The cocking effort is not for anyone who thinks a Weihrauch or equivalent is a challenge. But my 135QE 25 caliber is one of my favorite airguns. And when my shoulder is not acting up, it’s my “go to“ lead slinger.
AD338647-B59E-4A05-81E0-309E4333BD28.jpeg
D83F6ADA-4225-40B4-B533-7C3D2E181AE4.jpeg

I have several Hatsan’s. The 135QE is my favorite. I would not recommend any Hatsan without the Quattro trigger. The Quattro trigger can be tuned to an excellent weight. They are solid guns and without an equal at their price point. IMHO. You really do need to learn to work on your airguns, especially springers. And even more so on budget ones. The Hatsan 135 is a fabulous gun if gone through properly. The 22/25 caliber are the sweet spot on the 135’s. The features on this model at this price point are incredible. These are VERY large guns but have a balance that makes them easy to handle. The cocking effort is not for anyone who thinks a Weihrauch or equivalent is a challenge. But my 135QE 25 caliber is one of my favorite airguns. And when my shoulder is not acting up, it’s my “go to“ lead slinger.View attachment 391418View attachment 391419
No wonder they're a bich to cock. That much power from such a short barrel. I shot my full length R1 today. At 18.5 fpe it's not fun for a long time. I can't imagine cocking one of those monsters with such a short barrel for more than a few shots.

No wonder they're a bich to cock. That much power from such a short barrel. I shot my full length R1 today. At 18.5 fpe it's not fun for a long time. I can't imagine cocking one of those monsters with such a short barrel for more than a few shots.
It’s a short barrel with a long sleeve. It’s a momentum thing to cock. I do it one with one arm just like any other barrel cocker. If my shoulder is behaving, I can cock it all afternoon. You don’t want to shoot it for a while then cock the HW30. May just rip the barrel off. Seriously though, these guns are a riot to shoot.

I have several Hatsan’s. The 135QE is my favorite. I would not recommend any Hatsan without the Quattro trigger. The Quattro trigger can be tuned to an excellent weight. They are solid guns and without an equal at their price point. IMHO. You really do need to learn to work on your airguns, especially springers. And even more so on budget ones. The Hatsan 135 is a fabulous gun if gone through properly. The 22/25 caliber are the sweet spot on the 135’s. The features on this model at this price point are incredible. These are VERY large guns but have a balance that makes them easy to handle. The cocking effort is not for anyone who thinks a Weihrauch or equivalent is a challenge. But my 135QE 25 caliber is one of my favorite airguns. And when my shoulder is not acting up, it’s my “go to“ lead slinger.View attachment 391418View attachment 391419
I've been wanting one of these in .30 for awhile just because of how ridiculously silly they are