• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

questions on getting into a PCP gun

If you have easy access to a dive shop, I would forego the home compressor, just my preference. Hand pumps work, I use one as a spare, but you can't totally avoid moisture. In order to buy a rifle/scope/equipment package (no compressor) that will be more enjoyable than frustrating, I would set $1,500 as a general minimum budget figure. You can just buy stuff, or you can buy good stuff. It's only money.

1st things 1st.

You need a minimum of $1000 to start.

Even if you go cheap, discount, bargain, conservative or whatever adjective you want to use!

Gun, air supply, tank, regulator (fill adaptor), pellets and incidentals will stun your wallet.

Advise study and buy the best air rifle you can. Don't be lost in the hype. It will save you thousands rebuying guns..

It can get pricey very fast depending on what you want to go with. Like said above $1000-$1500 could get you set up nicely depending on what you use to refill. That can eat a big chunk of your budget if your not careful. If you are ok with pumping then get a pump to start with and just save for a bottle down the road. Also keep in mind that you may need a compressor to fill that bottle depending on whats around your area to keep your bottle topped off. Now back to pumping... Its not that bad but at the same time a pain in the backside because it takes time and a good number of strokes. Now if you get something with a small air chamber pumping is rather quick. Just a personal opinion but having a pump is nice to have just in case your bottle is out of air and are in a situation where you cannot get it filled. Well like camping or something. If you get a pump at least get a good one. Hill for example. There is also the few small portable compressors out there as well but it seems hit or miss with them. No mater what you decide you will most likely be hooked and more airguns will soon follow. Do your research and take your time. You want something that will make you smile not cause frustrations as some airguns are prone to do.

If you are just starting into PCP airguns and are "testing the waters" you may want to start with an entry level PCP (lots of choices for around $300 plus a scope) or a "previously owned" one and a SCUBA tank. My friend got a decent (used) SCUBA tank (check the expiry date on the tank) for $150 and that got him started.

If you find that you like PCPs and shoot a lot, then a compressor is the way to go. As already recommended, if you decide to get into PCPs seriously, buy the best you can afford as that will save money in a long run. The higher level guns tend to keep their resale value.

Hank

Lots of ways to look at this.

You can get by with a cheap PCP, as mentioned, less than $300 and a simple Ebay hand pump for $40.

I've owned Hill, FX, Logun pumps and will say that I've had less trouble out of my $40 Ebay pump...actually NO trouble in 2 years, than I did on the premium models. If/when it breaks, I'll simply buy another. Granted, for right now, it's a backup as I have a tank and compressor.

So under $350 will get your feet wet.

BUT...

Also as mentioned, you will soon tire of pumping. Next step up is to get a SCUBA tank and if you have a dive shop, can get it filled there. Next step from that, would be a small compressor... and finally a large compressor. 

So like with much else in life, you pay for convenience. Do you need a $2000 compressor, $500 tank, etc... nope. But if you start getting into PCP and especially into the big bores, you'll sure wish you had them.

But to try it out... $350 will do it.

I'll second the post above. But I will say I have less than $500 in my Yong heng and 9 litre fill tank combined. 

No matter what you fill with, unless it's a professionally filled dive tank, make sure your water/oil filtration is up to snuff.

That said, I do have a little 50cc .177 pistol that is supper easy to pump fill, and gets 50 shots. So, you can have a lot of fun, easily, and cheaply. A 100cc rifle would be a little more work, but not much. 

50$ chinese hand pump and a gamo urban. You can be shooting for under 400$ including scope and pellets.

Best advice yet.

I went similar- a PP700 pistol and a $45 pump off Amazon. Taken a stupid number of squirrels and other backyard pests. Mine's a laser at pistol ranges with 4 pellets and accurate enough for squirrel headshots at 20 yards with over a dozen different pellets. Total costs for gun and pump cost less than the amount of money in pellets I've put through it. About 18,000 pellets thus far and still going strong. Still handpumping, including marathon sessions where I burn through a full 500-count tin of pellets. Yikes, I just did the math and I've over $500 in pellet through this 😲

I don't mind doing 10 and more handpump refills in a single session. Most folks would not. However, there are HPA pumps on eBay, Alibaba, and Amazon running south of $400. So add another $300 for a Gamo Urban and some pellets you're well on your way.

Or spend a bundle. There is no "wrong way" in PCPs. Figure out what you want to do first, then list everything you want in your purchase criteria. Set a price and cut everything out that costs more than your pricepoint. Above all, keep an eye on the various airgun forum classifieds. Lots of people buy guns, keep 'em a while, realize they aren't shooting them, and selling. Their loss, your gain. And there's always some superb deals. 

Most people will not hand pump for very long. If you already have a small shop compressor and can find a used Shoebox compressor they are hard to beat for the money. I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago used and it's paid for itself 3 or 4 times over vs what I was paying to get my tank filled at the local dive shop. They are very solidly built and if you take care of them they will basically run forever. I've rebuilt my cylinders once (last year). Took me about half an hour and cost less than $20 for the parts. Not as fast as some of the other Chinese options, but its made in the good old USA and Tom provides excellent customer service. Used scuba tanks and/or used carbon fiber bottles can be had for a reasonable price as well, but you can fill your gun directly from the Shoebox to get started.

I'd rather buy a higher quality used gun than a cheaply made new one. Just my personal preference. If you are going to hand pump, I'd suggest looking for a used Daystate Huntsman or Regal (the Regal is the newer version of the Huntsman). Very high build quality, and very efficient air usage as well as one of the best triggers you will find in a sub 1K air rifle.

The old buy once, cry once saying really does apply to PCPs. 

Thanks for all the great info . Ended up getting a New F-10 shoebox then a 6.6 L Carbon Tank they call the TigerShark with HP-3 valve and quick connect Foster hoses ,a Carrette filter for elimination of humidity . The rifle is a Near new FX Streamline 25 cal in Walnut. Ordered a DonnyFL Sumo 30cal suppressor. and mounted a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4X16 44 mm scope . Now the only problem is the Fill Probe is a threaded end and I need a Foster quick connect to fill it up plus the order of 4 tins of 25.39 JBS pellets. I will post up pics of the set up when complete!

Cheers Mike

Ps Don't tell the Wife she's on a need to know Basis! 

Haha, yeah if my wife had any idea how much I have spent she would kill me. Looks like you did good. I bought a few cheap guns, an urban and a Seneca aspen before I stepped up to an brocock commander and an fx impact. Wish I didn’t waste the money and just started with high end guns. Now I have these cheap ones which are hard to sell. You did great on your first gun.

It's funny I hear a lot of you talk about compressors. In the UK ive never known a shooter to run their own compressor, they just get refills at a shop, I wonder if just the lack of shops means more people prefer to fill themselves here

Population density may have something to do with it. Lots of wide open spaces in North America so it could be problematic for some people to get tanks filled.

It's funny I hear a lot of you talk about compressors. In the UK ive never known a shooter to run their own compressor, they just get refills at a shop, I wonder if just the lack of shops means more people prefer to fill themselves here

Population density may have something to do with it. Lots of wide open spaces in North America so it could be problematic for some people to get tanks filled.

I have seen a good amount of people having issues with getting their tanks topped of or simply dealing with shady scuba shops. Another thing I see is a good amount of airgunners need to drive a good distance for air. Before I got my compressor I was getting charged different prices depending on who did the filling. Anywhere between 10-20 bucks. Not a big deal but it seemed that they could not make up their mind on what to charge. Also could of been a difference in how much air I needed to top off. Not sure. So if you need a fill several times a week it adds up to money thrown away. A compressor will pay for itself rather quickly and you dont have to worry about waiting for the place to open.