• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Questions my friends ask about PCP who never heard of them.

When I first bought my PCP I was amazed how powerful it was then as with most all of us one thing led to another.....$$$ and more fun.

When I spead the good news about this cool so called "Hobby" the very first question my friends ask is how many rounds can you shoot before airing up again? Well, I don't need to tell anyone on this forum my answer. But what I ask them back knowing what firearms they own is how many rounds can you get out of your 3 mag .270 or your 3 round shot gun before you have to reload?

The next question so it seems is how far can you shoot it? Of course that's a loaded question depending on cal and a hundred other things.

Then the big question... can you hunt with it and what will it kill? In My state you can't hunt game with them but I just say I've killed many coons after my hens and it drops them quickly plus how the PCP's kill hogs and other mid size game in other states.

Some bring up cost, that's where I can't brag to much about when a very nice firearm rifle can cost less than $500.00. Oh well! :)

If you compare the cost to shoot PCP's to the cost to compete in fire arms, pcp's are about the same and in some cases, a lot cheaper. I'm starting in to PRS "belly" matches and so far I'm over 2k in my build. Comparing my build to other competitors, my PRS build is small potatoes. Your friends sound to me they buy their rifles at big box stores. Trying to reason with shooters who think their $500 rifle is good to compete against people who put in 5K PRS rifle is a waste of time. The biggest expense in PRS or BR competitions are the barrels and bullets which can easily surpass 2k in one year of shooting.

Yeah, $500 powder burner rifles are the ones from Big5 and Dicks sporting goods. Really quality powder burners are up there in price, way above $500.

Right next to those types of rifles from the box stores are typically the low end Benjamin’s and Beeman orient made break barrels, too, that come packaged with POS scopes

PCP == free ammo with purchase of gun, compressor, and accessories
FIREARM == free gun with purchase of ammo.

Over the life of a FIREARM barrel, say 6000 rounds before the barrel is worn out, at say 1-2 dollars per bullet tgt vs hunting, that's about 6-12 thousand dollars over the life of the product, thus the price you paid for the gun is nothing compared to the ammo. I would say the opposite is true for an airgun/pcp.

When I first bought my PCP I was amazed how powerful it was then as with most all of us one thing led to another.....$$$ and more fun.

When I spead the good news about this cool so called "Hobby" the very first question my friends ask is how many rounds can you shoot before airing up again? Well, I don't need to tell anyone on this forum my answer. But what I ask them back knowing what firearms they own is how many rounds can you get out of your 3 mag .270 or your 3 round shot gun before you have to reload?

The next question so it seems is how far can you shoot it? Of course that's a loaded question depending on cal and a hundred other things.

Then the big question... can you hunt with it and what will it kill? In My state you can't hunt game with them but I just say I've killed many coons after my hens and it drops them quickly plus how the PCP's kill hogs and other mid size game in other states.

Some bring up cost, that's where I can't brag to much about when a very nice firearm rifle can cost less than $500.00. Oh well! :)
I would just state it is very similar to shooting a .22 rimfire rifle, whether target shooting or hunting, only you can shoot it safely and quietly in your suburban back yard.

For me shooting pcp has nothing really to do with the cost. I mean in all fairness they really are only comparable to 22 rimfire and I can shoot 22 rimfire just as cheap and quite honestly cheaper with pretty good results using cci standard. It’s quiet fun I can do in my backyard. It’s also a ton of fun making my gun shoot well instead of finding ammo that will make it shoot well. I always point these aspects out when cost questions arise

When I share my experiences so far with friends that shoot firearms, they are totally amazed and intrigued. They are looking forward to exploring it too.

The aspect that I enjoy the most is the silence and that its more neighborhood friendly. The feeling after leaving an air rifle only range or shooting session and a firearms range is totally different. After the air rifle time its peaceful and refreshing. I'm not tired at all and certainly not sore. Its far more enjoyable with others too because you can talk the entire time if you want to.

Whereas after the firearms range I am far more fatigued from the noise pollution. You can only talk before or afterwards without yelling.

I've even noticed air gun videos produced with firearms shooting nearby aren't as enjoyable. I guess more and more I enjoy the peacefulness and quietness of nature.

So a thread to try to convince yourself that a $500 .22lr won't outperform almost every airgun in every department.

Comparing any air rifle to a magnum pb is laughable. Shot capacity varies regardless of the platform and there are pcps that only shoot one shot. Besides reloading is a hell of a lot faster than refilling with air and you know it.

Even got people claiming you can't get a good pb for 500. Hogwash. I have a 60 year old Marlin that will half a sewing needle at 100 yards.

PB's vs. Airguns is a silly comparison.

Must be the crowd who spends thousands on a single air rifle. I'd tell myself it was worth it too.
LOLS this shows a level of ignorance. a 22LR will NOT outperform an airgun in every department. Not even in most. You need a tax stamp to have a suppressor for firearms, airguns you dont. Most 22lr are not suitable for small backyard or basement use, airguns are. 22lr rounds still costs more to shoot than many airgun calibers. This is just the start to dismiss your absurd comment.

There are very few decent firearms for 500 or less. Certainly few I would like to rely on.

"Must be the crowd who spends thousands on a single air rifle. I'd tell myself it was worth it too." Your snobbish attitude comes through loud and clear with this which further discredits your views.

Reactions: woogie_man
LOLS this shows a level of ignorance. a 22LR will NOT outperform an airgun in every department. Not even in most. You need a tax stamp to have a suppressor for firearms, airguns you dont. Most 22lr are not suitable for small backyard or basement use, airguns are. 22lr rounds still costs more to shoot than many airgun calibers. This is just the start to dismiss your absurd comment.

There are very few decent firearms for 500 or less. Certainly few I would like to rely on.

"Must be the crowd who spends thousands on a single air rifle. I'd tell myself it was worth it too." Your snobbish attitude comes through loud and clear with this which further discredits your views.
You are spot on, and just because you can shoot in your basement with a 22lr, doesn't mean you should. 😉

My competition 22lr cost around $6k or more. Ammo I shoot for it is around $0.20 a shot, when I can even find the ammo and that is the cheap stuff.

My airgun cost me far less than that, and the ammo is FAR easier and CHEAPER to buy. I can shoot places with my airgun that I can't with my 22lr, and I can shoot my 22lr where I can't shoot my airgun. Both have their places, as they are similar to a framing hammer and a sledge hammer. Such both are hammers and can do what the other dies. But they are each suited for different tasks.

• Love
Reactions: MysticalDragon
** Moderator edited *** *** Keep your own posts within the rules.**

Not sure why we all care so much about this. Airguns serve a different purpose and niche. We don’t need to compare them to firearms. Yes there are many instances where the firearm will be superior so what. That mid guy said some true things and some very untrue things. Who cares?
I would like to address the shooting a PB in your basement comment he made. To do so is just ignorant. Powder burns hotter and in general you get more velocity. All of which puts more harmful pollutants into the air and it isn’t safe to do so. Look at the air movement and filtration systems a PB indoor range has. It’s so you don’t breath in the lead dust and other crap.
Finally this guy is *** ***that only joined here for this exact purpose. I see a Friday join date. Lol. This is someone that needs a life badly and the mods will ban I’m sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly the daftest conversation yet on here. One of my bicycles is worth more than my car. One of my airguns cost less than the kettle I boil water for coffee in. I have a watch that would equate to a decent house rent for a good few months, and one about the cost of my toaster. I have a few custom bespoke knives that cost a fair few pennies, but also a little Ken Onion that lives in my pocket any time I have trousers on that was about twenty bucks when I bought it. I have a prototype guitar that was played by Steve Vai during design assessment and an old acoustic Fender that is probably worth a hundred dollars on a good day.

Hobbies are hobbies, cost is irrelevant as long as you can both afford it and enjoy it.

Fully agree about shooting live ammo in a basement though. Fairly daft thing to do.

All of you must live in the city. There are shooting tunnels in basements all over the US. Guess you just haven't been invited.
No I live in the country and I can’t really explain why but I just enjoy shooting my air rifles more. I have many PB guns. The one I enjoy most out of those is my browning trap gun. I love shooting clays. I also like going to the indoor pistol range at my gun club too. They have a big air filtration system that moves a lot of air so you aren’t breathing any crap. I also don’t have to mess with all the lead. Yuck no thanks. If you want to shoot in your basement more power to you. I will go to the club that costs 150 a year which is well worth it. I almost forgot a major reason I love my airguns is the fact that I rarely have the messy job of cleaning the barrel which is a regular must with a PB. PB’s are great and so are airguns in their own unique ways. What I will never understand is going through the trouble to join an airgun forum when you clearly don’t really have an interest to argue? Why is it so damn important that you are right? Are you like this about all your opinions? I get it to a point as I can sometimes be that way and have to reel myself back.

Guaranteed I have several sub-$1000 22s that will wipe the floor with your money pit. The opinion of a person who spends 6k on a 22 is to be taken lightly.
No whats to be taken lightly is someone whos been here 3 days and already off to a poor start showing your ignorance and attitude in post after post instead of learning and listening to the vast knowledge here. Remember what ASSume means. Its never a good thing to do. Why did you join here? To run your mouth, hurl insults and be obnoxious? Or did you join here to learn about this hobby that so many enjoy? Sadly so far it appears to be the former vs the latter.

I guarantee his 6k 22 will perform in competitions far better than yours will. He also likely has the skillset to use it properly.

I guarantee most basements aren't setup properly and aren't safe to shoot 22's in. Especially with the lack of ventilation and excessive noise. Most yards aren't safe for it and there would be so many places its illegal to shoot a 22, whereas its not illegal to shoot an airgun.

Have you even bothered looking at the cost of airgun rounds? You claim that 22lr ammo runs you 5 cents and averages 10 cents a round. Well guess what? I have TONS of options and several calibers of airgun ammo that I can get for 2-3 cents a round all day long. To get into the 10 cents a round with airguns means I am running the larger calibers You claim I was wrong, yet you have no proof and have been proven incorrect time and time again already.

Last edited:
this thread is about answering pcp questions for the unknowning
now you guys are debating which is superior,, 22lr or 22 pcp,,, neither and both
it depends on the user, their intended use and desires

ran into a man I used to work with, he asked what I have been up to, I said pellet guns, he said he was getting into these pcp guns, I got my phone out with many photos,,, :) and he lives out in the empty high plains country side, he steps out his front door and can shot a 22-250 in any direction , except towards his buildings,,, wide open spaces, and still wants PCP,,, boys and their toys,,, I showed him my Coltri compressor photo, I liked to educate

Reactions: MysticalDragon