• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Questions from a newbie

Hello everyone. I’m in the process of buying a pcp for the second time. First time was nearly ten years ago, and never really used my Marauder so I sold it. Jump ahead nearly ten years. I’m looking again to get a pcp, this time for deer hunting. I live in Florida, sold my browning bar .270, (I may have been stupid for doing that). Pretty much would like recommendations on what caliber to get and what brand. I have been researching a lot so I’m not totally clueless, but just wanted opinions on what would be worth my money. If they make one, is there any that could possibly be dialed down to small game hunt them turned up and used for deer? If not then that’s ok. I have other guns for small game if I had to.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Hello everyone. I’m in the process of buying a pcp for the second time. First time was nearly ten years ago, and never really used my Marauder so I sold it. Jump ahead nearly ten years. I’m looking again to get a pcp, this time for deer hunting. I live in Florida, sold my browning bar .270, (I may have been stupid for doing that). Pretty much would like recommendations on what caliber to get and what brand. I have been researching a lot so I’m not totally clueless, but just wanted opinions on what would be worth my money. If they make one, is there any that could possibly be dialed down to small game hunt them turned up and used for deer? If not then that’s ok. I have other guns for small game if I had to.
Good morning! In florida to take down beer , you need a .30 minimum, with no foot pounds of energy restrictions.

If you want a gun that can do both I would suggest an impact mk2 or mk3 because you can adjust it waaaay down and they are a few years old so you should be able to find yourself a good deal on the classifieds.

If you wanted to go the dedicated route sinncs Impacts m3 still cost over $1500 even used. I would suggest a texan 457 carbine, it's not too long to be moving around with when hunting down here. A benjamin bulldog .457, 357 could do the job but .457 would be better.

Or you could get something like a seneca eagleclaw 357, palmbeachairguns I believe has one on consingment you could go check out physically.

Also idk where you are in Florida, but if you're near west palm, then both that store and airgunone inc are within 20minutes of each other and you can go get a feel for them.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Reactions: JaceSpace1369
@redsman - Another vote for a Texan. They are pure hunting tools but are air hogs. Plan accordingly.

Sold your BAR? Ouch. That is going to be hard to find a replacement. I recommend a Ruger American II in 350. They are getting a lot of good reviews.

I bought the gun because I used to dog hunt. Well now that I’m gonna be in a tree most of the time I figured I’d sell it to get an air rifle I can hunt with.

Airguns that can humanely down a deer get very few shots per bottle fill and require a significant compressor / bulk fill bottle to keep fed. A few airguns can develop that kind of power but it's not a very convenient package. So I agree to look at alternate powderburners (300BLK suppressed?) and/or study what a high power hunting airgun setup involves.

Honestly, I’ve watched a guy on YT for a few years, so I’ve always wanted an air force Texan. But since I’ve really started looking. I’m open to anything really would like to stay around 12-1300
Air Force makes good guns, single-shot, though, isn't for me. Since .30 is minimum for deer in Florida, looks like that is a starting point. Picked these up from Krale (Netherlands) a year ago, to-my-door Uragan 2 ($1365.), Vulcan 3 ($1198.) Both .30, 700mm (slug
IMG_20230926_171811.jpg
-preferred barrels.) Emu, one of our members, has taken deer with Vulcan 3 .30. Both pack the power but remain backyard friendly, U2 is quieter, smoother and less ammo fussy. Simple, robust and ergonomically designed, AGT has gained a popular following with both. WM

A Texan carbine or ss model in .308 or .357 might be decent options. To save a few dollars search the Air Force outlet for deals. I've thought of getting one of these myself but sticking to a centerfire just makes more sense for my situations. There's also the Seneca Recluse (9mm/.357), the current models apparently make even more power than before.

The Pyramyd Air website (pyramydair.com) has a number of great articles in their RESOURCES area regarding airgun hunting you might find useful. Their professional and knowledgeable service representatives also have been super helpful to me on a number of occasions, giving me suggestions and options based on my specific need(s) at the time -- to the point of exchanging however many emails on the subject were necessary and even once talking me out of a considerably more expensive rifle in favor of one better suited to my specific needs (with a much lower price tag).

Just a thought: the "recommended" FPE for taking adult whitetails is just about sky-high, even for a firearm, so I'd imagine it will cost you at least as much as a suitable firearm, and possibly (likely?), much more. However, if you've got the bucks (sorry <grin>), it would be great to have such a capable airgun handy! I really can't afford to think about the PCP side of our hobby, but I would surely love to have one capable of procuring freezer food and/or offing a pesky coyote if necessary. Whatever you end up with, how about sharing your decision with the group? Regardless, good luck with the hunt for the right rifle, and good luck afterwards with the actual hunt! ;-)