Questions about the new Texans

I agree with chickenthief. If you are shooting 3-4 moa at 100 yards under normal conditions is real good. Its takes a good bit of small improvements to get groups consistently smaller. Recoil without a stock is brutal ,only a small portion of the butt pad hits your shoulder. I also use BOG tripod and you cannot grip your Texan properly without a stock. I actually stripped out the bolt that goes in front forearm from recoil shooting out of BOG tripod. Recoil.goes up.substantial with cast slugs over 500 grains. Keep your barrel clean !!! Shoot tethered!!! Hold onto your Texan and shoot it like a black powder smoke pole....😀😀 Accuracy will follow. Good luck slinging lead accurately

Reactions: jmeade1975
That Lee mold for 450 grain or 500 grain mold at .515 sized to .510 diameter seems to be working pretty well for you .I use NOE mold and Accurate Mold also I like to have at least 4 slug cavity in the molds. I shoot my power wheel maxed out towards the bottle.or.valve. I shoot tethered at 3625 psi... Your velocity should be around 820 fps for the 500 grainers. I now the Lee .515 450 grainer has a b.c of around 2.5. Sounds like you have a shooter!!! Good.luck

Reactions: jmeade1975
I am getting a new Texan but can't figure out which one to get. There's alot of conflicting info out there so maybe you guys can help me choose. I was going to get the 50 CF LSS but found out that it's a 510 and not compatible with my lyman 50 cal muzzle loader. Also bullet moulds are significantly more expensive than the 45. So that's what I will go with. Question #1 will the Lee dies for 4570 work OK with the barrel diameter of the Texan? Airforce claims it's a 457 but Tom Gaylord says it's actually a 458. Please let me know if you use the cheap Lee dies and if they are accurate. Also if you know of a cheap mould for casting balls please let me know. Question #2 what is the twist rate of the CF long I've heard 1in30 from Tom gaylord and 1in20 is the twist rate of the CF SS and carbine on airforce website. This is very confusing to me. Tom almost never gets things wrong so I'm assuming 1in30 was the older twist rate and now airforce is using a faster 1in20 to stabilize heavier bullets? OK last question. What size bullets would you recommend for the carbine and what size for the LSS? I am wondering if it's worth it to me to carry around that extra length. I have never hunted big game with a big bore but it seems to me that the carbine is probably making enough power for even very large game. Please help me decide guys. I'd especially really appreciate any advice from people that hunt big game and people that cast bullets for the 457. The cheapest way that works is the way I'd like to go. Thanks in advance dudes.

back when i had the Texan in .457, i used the lyman 405gr rnfp die and backed it up with the lee .457 sizer die.
it done very well for me for a couple years then i got the Hammer and wow what an accurate hunting machine (but its gone now) !!!.....anyway (last 2 years) i deer hunt with the .457 piledriver and i use the same lyman die and lee sizer as i did with the texan.
they work for me very well 👨‍🌾